1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Myles Garrett suspension

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I don't blame Rudolph for retaliating against Garrett. It was a late hit, on a game that was already over, and he threw Rudolph into the ground after the throw instead of letting go. Super dirty and bush league hit.

2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I think that is how I saw the replay, and I think one of the guys on NFL Network last night saw that too.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This is the dumbest narrative at all. This is not something to bring race into. That's BS.

mick fry likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

ive seen it numerous times and see 0 evidence of rudolph was going for garretts midsection. someone is more than welcome to try and point it out rather than just assuming and presenting a false take

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry, but why is okay for any player to retaliate in any situation?

Because it football and emotions run high? You just react? You can't just police the 2nd and 3rd retaliations/reactions.

da_juice likes this.
  6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not saying it is correct, but I couldn't definitely see someone doing it.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Mason Rudolph is a huge Tomi Lahren and MAGA supporter. It has nothing to do with what happened, but just thought I'd bring it up out of nowhere because.....well, no real reason. Myles Garrett deserves the hammer, and Mason Rudolph is a prick. It is what it is. Oh, and don't **** with Maurkice Pouncey. That guy looked wayyyy too comfortable stomping Garrett out.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You are no fun.

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Watching it again. You're correct. He did try to take off the helmet. MR leg did make contact in that region, but it doesn't look intentional.

https://www.totalprosports.com/2019...e-groin-before-getting-hit-with-helmet-video/

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. No Worries

Mess with the bull you get the horns.

Idiot Rudolph was in swinging distance, jawboning Garrett. Would not surprise me to find out that he was saying "You want a piece of me?"

#50 No Worries, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Walk away, don’t display anymore of your stupidity.

12. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

QB privilege, not white privilege. The situation would be the same if Watson or Jackson were the QBs involved; in fact, the punishment probably would have been even more severe.

Here's another reason the NFL might not have wanted to suspend Rudolph for any games: who would the Steelers have put in at QB with Rudolph gone? What problem child is currently looking for QB work?

I honestly didn't think Garrett's hit on the Jet QB was that bad. He was a skosh late on Rudolph, and he could've landed with him better. Douchy, stupid move to try and twist him down with a 14 pt lead, 8 seconds to go, and they're deep in their own end. He's earned his season ending suspension, and a zero tolerance for any future antics. But people need to calm down and get some perspective. I think Ben Muth, from Football Outsiders, put it pretty well when he said that a lot of Twitter and the media were acting like Garrett reenacted the opening of The Last Boy Scout, instead of acting like an idiot with an anger management problem.

da_juice likes this.
  13. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Thank you Myles for taking the Astros off the front page of the sports news.

raining threes and Gray_Jay like this.
  14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I don't remember the guy's name, but they've already played their 3rd stringer in a game where Rudolph got concussed. It is a different thing thing to expect good attendance to a game where this guy is the named starter, but the guy isn't someone off the street. And I think they play the bengals next so it could be tom savage and still be fine.

raining threes and Gray_Jay like this.
  15. delta69er

delta69er Member

Nothing to do with the situation but just a story about Myles Garrett.

I used to wait tables back in College Station and Garrett would come in regularly and drop $100+ tabs and tip less than $5. Sure, he was a young college student and may or may not have known better but Mike Evans was also a regular who always tipped VERY well.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

1:48 = Rudolph tries to take off Garrett's helmet

1:53 = Rudolph kicks Garrett in the groin area. Unintentional or not, he definitely made contact.

da_juice likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

don't see it. you have a 6'6 275 lineman on top of you. of course there's all kinds of "contact" rudolph is literally getting dragged for his helmet. I guess some people love being stretch Armstrong

18. No Worries

One might even say that Rudolph “cleated” Garrett in the nuts.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

You don't see...what? You don't see Rudolph clearly kicking Garrett in the groin? You don't see Rudolph trying to rip Garrett's helmet off before Garrett tried to do the same thing to Rudolph? I'm not sure what Rudolph was trying to accomplish, with either act. You could even make an argument that Garrett was trying to protect himself, but took it too far with the helmet swing.

What do you mean there's all kinds of "contact?" If a bigger person is on you, you're free to flail about and kick him in the groin or wherever else? You're free to instigate all the contact you want just because he's physically bigger?

Regardless, there's no use trying to prove a point to you. You wanted evidence of Rudolph kicking Garrett in the groin and Rudolph trying to rip the helmet off first. I gave you clear evidence. So at this point, I can safely assume you're either blind or ignorant. Maybe both, since they do have braille keyboard covers, these days.

Definitely leaning towards ignorant, though.

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Rudolph kicked him for sure. Hard to tell how intentional or was for him to kick his balls versus kicking to get him off of him.

Here's what was definitely intentional though:

Myles Garrett roughing Rudolph with essentially no time left in a two score game defending 90 yards of territory. Hitting high (like Garrett always does) and then throwing Rudolph to the ground. This came AFTER the Browns had multiple dirty hits throughout the game, knocking multiple defenseless Steelers receivers out of the game. One NFL exec anonymously said it seemed like a bounty game and that he wants the browns fined $5 MILLION (!!!) Dollars and Freddie Kitchens fined $500k.

Mason Rudolph tried to pull Myles Garrett's helmet off. Mason Rudolph kicked at Myles Garrett. We don't know the intent.

Myles Garrett then rips Mason Rudolph's helmet off and uses it as a weapon, intentionally trying to injure Rudolph. The intent was there. You cannot take that away. The intent to do heavy bodily harm was there, after a game where the Browns were hell-bent, seemingly, on injuring players. What if Garrett had connected and knocked Rudolph unconscious? What if he had connected and broken Rudolph's nose and spewed blood everywhere on the field on a nationally televised game? Is it criminal then?

This is almost like blaming Rudy for running down the court to "join" that fight with the Lakers. Just no. Absolutely not.

Reports are that Rudolph will be fined, as usually happens when situations like this happen every Sunday. I'm even done with him getting a game. But he, in no way, should be thrown in as an equal, or even an instigator, in this.

#60 Two Sandwiches, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019