1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Really don't think the Stros can be reprimanded for this via draft picks. Boston was fined? Seems fitting enough. Given this is certainly rampant amongst the MLB.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  2. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

If that's the precedent that's been set, then roll with it. I can see MLB wanting something a touch more severe though, since teams obviously aren't getting the hint.

RustyHarden likes this.
  3. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I can accept that the Astros stole signs in some 2017 home games, but I'm skeptical of that Jomboy video. Those "bangs" sound a bit TOO obvious. If they were truly that loud then a whole lot of people would've noticed. I doubt the Astros are that stupid. Jomboy has a questionable track record, IIRC.

Also, the "bang a garbage can" tactic would be useless if the fans were sufficiently loud. It's unlikely the batter would hear it.

And besides, the Astros were much more explosive on the road in 2017 than they were at home during the regular season. IIRC, they averaged more than 6 runs per game on the road prior to the 2017 All-Star break.

As for sign stealing in general...that issue could be solved once and for all if MLB would just adopt better technology in how pitchers and catchers communicate.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

2017 me drunk at 2pm in Downtown chasing a fire truck where players are holding up a WS trophy would tell you he wouldn’t care

#104 REEKO_HTOWN, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The more I hear national media types acting like the Dodgers were the real champs in 2017, and the Astros should have their championship stripped from them, the angrier I get.

Do these idiots even realize that Mike Fiers wasn’t on the playoff roster at any point in 2017?

Edit: Fiers was allowed to be in the dugout during the playoff run despite on being on the roster. My mistake.

#105 DVauthrin, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I can say this; if I was a player I would never play with Fiers. He's garbage. No matter what happened you handle it like Beltran did. Not try to sell out an entire lockerroom because the organization hurt your feelings.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm starting to wonder about that video too because it seems way too obvious and I've yet to see another video of it happening.

lw17 likes this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

You forgot Trevor Bauer.

lw17 likes this.
  9. mick fry

mick fry Member

“The hate train”, reminds me of a certain political figure.

RustyHarden likes this.
  10. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

I'm subscribed to him. He's an Astros fan yet objective. Our road stats are enough to tell everyone to stfu

mikol13, King1 and mick fry like this.
  11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

What's there to kid about? I don't like cheating. Do you?

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

Seems to me that maybe we shouldn't be stealing signs if we can’t win at home or was that all by design? I’m going to withhold judgement for now, I mean where was this trashcan again? Like you said our road record speaks for itself so screw em.

13. HouClone

HouClone Member

Not a good look. Cut the cheating out. Win fair and square. I am sure the Astros aren't the only ones stealing signs though. We get fined and maybe lose draft picks if mlb makes a hard example of the Astros.

14. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Blame all the banging idea from the Cleveland Indians fan that hit the drum in CF. He started this long ago. Seriously, even if someone banging the trash can, u can’t tell me astros would do that whole game without complaints from opposing team or umpires, let alone whole season. And I think us fans should be able to pick up after a batter or 2 on TV or radio. Hell, I get annoyed by Greinke grunt on TV/radio when he pitches after awhile. I can’t imagine none of us able to pick up someone banging a trash can and think that’s normal before every swing. There’s a lot of paranoia among other teams/medias/fans towards the Astros right now. Hope this doesn’t encourage FA to sign with us. I doubt it will though. .

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. msn

msn Member

It's like ppl think the only possible way the Astros could win is by cheating. Like only the Yanks or Dodgers or Sox are legitimate champions. If some other team wins, there has to be a logical explanation.

There is a logical explanation: the Astros are better at baseball, you lot of entitled dickheads. Deal with it.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Who knew there were this many reporters lying in the weeds waiting to jump all over the Astros. Drellich was a given as he was just a huge jackass while he covered the team. Now there's Alyson Footer and her little buddy at SI. Now sanctimonious Jeff Passan and Buster Olney. Good to know.

The more likely truth to this story is that most of the league pulls different shenanigans to get an edge and only idiots who suspect other teams would not use more complicated catcher's signals. However, since a mean man with the Astros hurt a couple reporter's feelings (one who was wearing a domestic violence bracelet :eek:) they're the target du jour.

#116 CometsWin, Nov 13, 2019
    Dgn1, King1, Nook and 4 others like this.
  17. msn

msn Member

...or maybe since they dared to eliminate the beloved Yankees-- THREE TIMES.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also, despite this basically being a common thing, what can the MLB do?

Didn't they investigate the Astros for this already and weren't they cleared for it? Are they going to investigate the same thing over and punish us for something they already cleared us for? I call double jeopardy, they already litigated this, unless they have proof of us doing it in 2019, they should remind people they already looked into this.

When you see the people reporting this, they try to be slick and and suggest severe punishment, Lunhow getting suspended or banned or draft picks taken away, it does make this feel like they are just trying to take us down.

#118 JayGoogle, Nov 13, 2019
  19. vince

vince Member

Fiers is just salty. He carried the pitching staff while all the injuries during the regular season, and to be left off the playoff roster. Just because they could does not mean they did. This would mean more if hitters were the ones letting us know the were recipients of the stolen signs.

Man, the Astros really touched a nerve. The National media hated they were so well liked. They are trouncing on this so hard.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Another member of the 2017 Yankees, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said, “To actually have somebody hitting a garbage can, pretty much the whole game, that’s pretty much your job, whoever is doing that. It stinks. You wish you could go back in time and figure that out earlier, because we thought we were the better team. We probably were the better team.”

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, here at the GM meetings, refused to directly engage in questions about the 2017 ALCS, saying, “I think it’s in our industry’s best interest right now that I don’t comment.” However, Cashman — who said he skimmed the story — slipped in some jabs at the club that has eliminated his in two of the last three when asked whether advances in technology led to such reindeer games.

“I don’t think it’s a technological question alone. It’s just conduct,” Cashman said. “You decide to play by the rules, or you don’t. And if you don’t, there’s consequences. You’re putting yourself at risk whether it’s future employment, current employment, or sanctions or what have you. It’s not a technology question as much as how you want to operate.”

Asked how much concern he held over opponents cheating, Cashman said, “There’s a lot of concern that it exists in some places.”

#120 J.R., Nov 13, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.