1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video on James Harden - Has This Ever Been Done Before?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Andre0087, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Hmmmmm...

BaselineFade and hakeem94 like this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm not watching that video.

3. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Lol I made to the part where he’s saying Harden manipulates the game by shooting a lot of 3’s. Does this guy not realize every player plays on the same court with the same rules? If anything Harden gets penalized because no one likes him.

#3 Blurr#7, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

looks like it's a Morey interview

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

well spoke too soon

Mazulis, TheRealAllpro and DreamShook like this.
  6. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

This video places doubt on Morey's "mathematical approach" as it should.

Would anyone in this forum honestly rather James Harden have the ball for the last possession in the fourth over Michael Jordan? What about in the playoffs? If anyone on here answered yes, then you are delusional homers.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Random Youtuber acts as if he has access to more data and is more mathematically savvy than the Houston Rockets organization. Neat.

And he didn't even include an analysis on strip clubs.

I didn't watch this, just skipped through it.

Hey, it's smart to generate clicks by bashing Harden.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah anyone like Morey who believes in math is delusional

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

a three is a three
    a foul is a foul

Mazulis, coyotetex, bro2044 and 2 others like this.
  10. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

The dude who made this video is dumb af and I don't use that lightly. I really believe the Dunning-Kruger effect is in play here. So much BS to parse through. First, of the the pure arrogance to think, that you a lay person ,can simply looking up on the internet and look up a SINGLE stat to dispel an emphatic statement from an expert is impressive. As Morey stated, to know that Harden was the best scorer with OKC you had to have GOOD DATA. Which implies this data is not publicly available. Secondarily, it implies that other luminaries did not have this data either. Why do you think all 30 NBA teams spend tens of millions of dollars and employ dozens of analysts? To get better data.

Smaller pet peeve, but he tries to vituperate Harden using this season's data. 8 GAMES. You can tell this person does not have a mathematical mind. This screams small size. If you just look at last years stats with a larger sample you can see none of his conclusions hold.

Third, this gentlemen uses EFG%. Which is fine but True Shooting % is a better single metric for shooting efficiency. If you take in to account USG% rate, anyone with 24% (-15% less than Harden) Harden would be 14th in the league in TS%. Anyone at 29%, Harden would be 8th. All while admitting Harden isn't actually doing well 8 games into the season. Last season Harden was 3rd in the league in TS% among players with a 29% USG% ( Harden's USG% was 39.6%)

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden is 4th all time in career regular season points/100 possessions even tho he was a low usage bench player for 3 years...pretty impressive

if u only include his time as a starter, he’s 2nd all time behind MJ, and it’s not even close (Harden at 38.7 while KD is the next closest at 36.8)

whoever made this video has a terrible sounding voice, and when he started bringing up all these stats from this current season, one that’s not even 10 games in and includes Harden’s shooting being way below his typical averages, I checked out...I managed to make it to the 9 minute mark, but this kind of intellectually dishonest bullsh*t isn’t something I can tolerate

yeah, I’m sure Harden will finish the season with a 46% eFG and below 30% from 3 :rolleyes:

Why are there so few guards in NBA history that can approach Harden’s prolific amount of free throw attempts? Well, show me all these guards that have his combo of size and skill that lead the league in drives to the rim year in and year out with a 35+% usage rate. Show me all these guards whose overwhelming amount of shot attempts come off the dribble, unassisted, and with a man all over him. Now couple that with the fact that Harden does not shoot from midrange, so if he’s fouled out on the perimeter (much more likely to happen with a defender draped all over him), he’s shooting three free throws instead of 2.

Kobe was assisted on 35% of his twos, and 66% of his threes for his career...AI is at 28% assisted twos and 74% assisted threes...these are 2 of the biggest high usage chuckers in NBA history

Harden is at 19% of his twos, and 45% of his threes being assisted for his career. That is heavily bolstered by his 1st couple of seasons in the league. The last 3+ years with MDA where he’s had 34, 36, 41, and this season with 41% usage rate so far, he’s been assisted on a little over 10% of his twos and 20% of his threes. What perimeter player in league history has created his own offense as much as Harden has? U can’t name one.

12. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

The content on YouTube is such garbage that people on there think this is nuanced commentary.

13. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lmfao. Points per 100 possessions doesn’t even measure assists. How can you possibly compare points generated without taking into account assists?

MIT 1 - random dumbass on the internet 0

14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

it really doesn’t actually.

luckily, the people that will believe this video are already objectively terrible at math, so I doubt it’ll move the needle too much.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Nailed it. You just described all of Youtube, reddit, and Twitter. ;)

don grahamleone likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is like someone asked you "Is it raining?" and you respond with "The price of ground beef today is $5.99". You're trying to answer a question that wasn't asked. The question that was asked was who is the best offensive player. If anything, your question should be "can you define what you mean by 'offense'?" or "by what methodology?" Nobody asked about taking last second shots, playoffs, last possession, etc.

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

the good news is that probably no one on here even read your post

18. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Dude, Morey touts efficiency and advanced stats, then jumps to acquire Westbrook. Basically all his advanced stats get chucked out the window when a star is available. If Jordan in his prime was available, he'd trade Harden in a heartbeat.

He's just defending Harden now because he plays for the Rockets. Not because the math works.

19. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Clearly you read it and I'm happy you disagree. I hope in future, I'll be able to do business with you. Because I'd offer you Harden for Jordan in his prime.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Why you giving this guy clicks. :mad:

don grahamleone likes this.