1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This is really a non issue. Reid Ryan isn't going to inherit the Astros. Getting the successor fully involved is not only OK, it's the completely logical thing to do.

It is extremely ironic that nepotism is being brought up.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This. Anything to do with the Astros front office generates a reaction with the media now after the Taubman situation. They are being slandered left and right.

Reid Ryan by all accounts has been a good thing for the Astros, getting fans to the park and making it a fun experience. He has nothing to do with the product that is put on the field and Nolan comes off like a grumpy old man based on the way he appears to have reacted.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

To that end, whats the strategy in disavowing his relationship with the Astros? Misses Arlington?

Smacktle likes this.
  4. solid

solid Contributing Member

When you own a business, you call the shots. Not sorry.

Smacktle, Fyreball and lw17 like this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

It’s comical to see the complete and utter out-lash at Taubmann/Osuna...only to see it contrasted with literally *zero* backlash, let alone just commentary, on the Chapman extension. I know it’s not “news”...but shocking to see.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Let me know then a Yankees executive drunkenly yells at reporters about how they love Chapman.

You really missed the entire issue didn't you?

7. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Have family succession plans ever worked? The only one I can think of is Dr. Buss passing the torch to Jim, and that was a complete disaster. Even with Jeanie and LeBron now, who's to say they're even getting to the Finals?

8. awc713

awc713 Member

No...I didn’t miss the point. The Taubman incident was obviously slightly different. Point being that the Yankees executives just extended an alleged domestic abuser to the tune of 1 year, $18 million, and on top of the $30 million (!!) already owed to him. Not a peep about the extension was criticized or even addressed. If you actually read the SI article on the Taubman incident...one of the biggest issues the writer had was that the MLB as a whole has, over the years, effectively okayed those accused to continue playing professionally. Chapman’s expensive extension is certainly relevant to the story’s overarching theme.

You would think those who came down harshly on the Astros during their support of Osuna (which, by the way, WAS rehashed by several media members during the Taubman incident), would at the very least chime in on the Chapman extension.

#388 awc713, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  9. AirPower

AirPower Member

Taubman and Osuna are technically two different discussions.

Everyone went after the Astros for trading for Osuna, during and after the trade. The guy was accused, never convicted, and the case basically dropped because the wife wouldn't testify. So we really don't know what, if anything, actually happened.

But... on Chapman.... crickets!

Smacktle and raining threes like this.
  10. raining threes

No he didn't

BTW I'm so glad Osuna's on the team.

Fire me.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I love how people are acting like Crane just signed over the keys of the kingdom to his son, and is now going to ride off into the sunset. Give me a break. His son was very successful in oil and gas, and was the President of Incite Energy for years. He's earned his stripes independently, and has proven his mettle and business acumen. He's 36....not 21. Jim Crane has every right to try and set up his children, and his children's children for the future. If Jared is going to take over the entire operation one day, the time to learn is now. Will there be mistakes? Probably. But how else are you going to learn? Reid was great for the Astros, but what he did isn't irreplaceable. As long as Jim and Jeff are still on top of the organization for the foreseeable future, the Astros will be fine.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Gary Pettis learning some 3rd base coaching techniques back in the day.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Nolan is well known to be stubborn and highly opinionated.

I am not shocked that he walked away because he did not like something.

As a player he was known for a quick fuse and holding a grudge.

Ask Enos Cabell and Mike Scott about it.

The only one I know that Nolan Ryan walked on egg shells around was Danny Darwin.....

14. Nook

Nook Member

Not going to rehash this.

Yes we do know what happened.

Someone at the hotel called the police on Osuna for beating the mother of his child.

The Toronto police observed and took pictures of the abuse and on the night it happened one officer said it was pronounced.

He beat the **** out of the mother of his child.......... and he is the closer for the Astros. He is a bad guy. Just deal with the fact he is a bad guy.

Osuna met with the family of the victim and sent her to Mexico. Canada cannot extradite her from Mexico.

Osuna is incredibly lucky he treated the mother to his child like a speed bag in Canada and not the USA, because in Canada all the reports and pictures and statements are SEALED..... they would not be in the USA.

There is a reason the league suspended him for so long and he did not contest it.

As for Chapman, there was a lot of negative press. The Dodgers backed out of trading for him. When the Cubs traded for Chapman, they received a lot of negative press and fans were not happy.

Osuna would not be as big a topic of discussion if their front office staff had common decency.

Joe Joe and Screaming Fist like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Baseball has the worst offseason.
    Become free agents on November 1st, lots of talk, no action until January.

Jeff Passan:

Various notes from sources as the hot stove starts to crackle in anticipation of the GM Meetings in Scottsdale next week …
    • Multiple teams in search of catching help believe Cubs catcher Willson Contreras will be available this winter. The Cubs will get creative this winter, and with a deep catching free agent market, they could trade Contreras and begin retooling under new manager David Ross
    • The Texas Rangers have expressed interest in Josh Donaldson as they head into an offseason in which they have money to spend. The Rangers are making third base and starting pitching a priority, and Donaldson is coming off a phenomenal season with Atlanta.
    • The White Sox and Jose Abreu have discussed a long-term deal. Abreu, 32, is facing a tough market for aging first basemen — and has a qualifying offer attached to him. Teams already are loath to go in big at that age and position. The QO could make it even tougher.
    • A hot name in the relief market: Drew Pomeranz. After the Brewers dealt for him and moved him full-time to the bullpen, he was incredible: 26.1 IP, 45 Ks, 2.39 ERA. With a paucity of left-handed relievers available, he’s going to get a multiyear deal at a strong AAV.
    • Brett Gardner and the Yankees have engaged in talks to bring him back to New York for a 13th season, as @JonHeyman first reported, though no deal is close. Worth remembering: New York last year brought another longtime Yankee, CC Sabathia, back in the fold during the GM Meetings.

Braves re-sign Darren O'Day

#395 J.R., Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    everyday eddie likes this.
  16. Larry D Smith

Larry D Smith Member

So the mother and the child are better off with Osuna unemployed and unable to financially support them? It's a matter that should be handled between the victim, Osuna, and their child. But you probably think you're morally superior now that you've lectured everybody.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think the Rangers will sign Rendon, D’Arnaud, a 1B (like Smoak), and one of the 2nd tier SP (like Keuchel, Odorizzi, or Wheeler). Won’t make them a contender but it’ll make the division tougher.

texans1095, AznH-TownFan and Nook like this.
  18. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

the old palomino? Darwin? There has to be a story behind that. Why would Ryan fly right around Darwin?

Smacktle likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah...... I do think that I am morally superior to a man that beats the mother of his child.

There are certain lines that we simply do not cross without judgment and scorn..... and beating the mother of our off spring is one such line.

If you are good with men beating women then you have the problem.

BeBreezy, King1 and Joe Joe like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Contreras is an interesting name. I wouldn't be shocked if Epstein is motivated to deal him. Epstein has gone on rants about the players on his team being content, low energy and not really driven to play hard. The number one player associated with the label is Contreras. The last two seasons Contreras has admitted that he did not play as hard or with the focus he should have down the stretch of the season. He also rubbed Epstein wrong when the press asked Contreras about not making the playoffs and he said: "I'm a young guy, there is always next year." His defensive effort has been questioned as well.... he is a hell of a bat and has some ability behind the plate but lots of red flags.

everyday eddie likes this.