1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaiHua, May 10, 2019.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

No good coach is gonna take over the reigns during the season. If the Rockets fire D'Antoni, they'll have to ride the season out with one of the assistants and then hire a new coaching staff next summer. Essentially they'll be punting on this year. I still think D'Antoni needs to go because there's no way the team should be playing THIS badly. But make no mistake, if he's fired, the Rockets are pretty much conceding this season ends either with us in the lottery(BTW, did we give up our 2020 draft pick in the CP3 deal?) or an easy first round knockout.

B-Bob and lw17 like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not that this will happen but instead of then waiting to lose both after not working for a few years.... they could trade Harden. That’d be insane of course but you aren’t getting any value for Westbrook... yet a MDA led Westbrook PG offense where he doesn’t have to shoot threes kid work just as good as this offense at this point.

Just saying

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If they trade Harden, they're basically blowing up this roster and starting over. Westbrook would be next as would Clint. I think EG can't be dealt til next season, but he'd be out the door the moment they could unload that contract.

I'm actually not opposed to that if Morey and Tilman conclude this roster and coaching staff ain't gonna compete for anything. Why waste the next 3-4 years when you could be stockpiling picks and clearing cap space? Pull a Crane/Luhnow and do a total rebuild.

jim1961, Little Bit and lw17 like this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

- for one, it won't happen
    - for two, i've been near the top of the Harden won't win a ring here and let's think about trading him bandwagon since the Spurs meltdown, and they came close to proving me wrong once. with the EXACT right pieces around him, it's possible, but they are FAR FAR away from that

but...

I think it's possible to trade him, and keep the window open. How open? I don't know, but by the trade deadline you'll have a good idea of how open it is at the moment anyway. given the lack of rescue options (return Bzdelik, eliminate worst defensive culprits, add good defensive players, assets to trade like draft picks), i suspect it won't be looking that good. It kind of depends on how desperate some teams get.

Very very hard to imagine Toronto moving Pascal for him, or Boston moving Tatum+. I was secretly hoping the Kings would continue to suck, and maybe you could snag Hield (not sure when he's tradeable though) and Bagley for him - you never know with Vlade. Once the Suns start sucking again, would they ever look to move Booker for example? Cause I'd do Booker, Kaminsky and Baynes for Harden and House just as an example.

Or you go the rebuild path and try and trade it all...

But I know most will say I'm crazy, you don't trade a 36+ ppg scorer, recent MVP winner, yada, yada. Same stuff I've heard for years while I continued to parrot that Harden can't get it done as THE LEADER on a championship squad (absent absolutely PERFECTION around him) because he only focuses on one side of the ball and leads by pointing fingers instead of by example.

5. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Adrian Dantley....

I have been saying this for years...

T_Man

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure I agree. Although I'm not a hockey fan, look what a good coach with a vision did for the STL Blues https://deadspin.com/the-st-louis-blues-have-received-a-miracle-in-the-form-1832763703

I think if we hired the right coach and then made a few roster moves, this season could be great. I just don't think current coaches can get the squeeze we need to make the winning juice this team is capable of.

jim1961 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Time to rebuild. Issue is we have a GM who doesn’t value future picks and a coach who doesn’t develop young talent.

Little Bit and lw17 like this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sam Cassell

Rocket River

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

incorrect. If we were to tank right now we have all of our picks for the next 3 years:

Edit: not to mention all picks we traded are top 3 protected

#469 REEKO_HTOWN, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    roslolian and lw17 like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Amare was a 4 playing 5 while Matrix was a 3 playing 4 spot. This allowed Suns to run other teams into the ground.

When D'Antoni finally caved and added a traditional 5, Shaq no less, the Suns became mediocre and fell out of playoffs.

12. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

The problem with firing MDA now is, who would be ready to take on the job now? Do we have a guy ready?

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I totally agree. Suns were winning the regular season and a bust in the Playoffs. What is your point?

D’Antoni started out with the Rockets with conventional Wing (Ariza/Luc MaM) but has since reverted back to the
    comfort zone where he succeeded best.
    Small lineup: Nash/Westbrook....Marbury/Gordon.....Jim Jackson/Harden (both 6’5”)....Matrix/Tucker (6’7” & 6’6”)
    A’Mare/Capela

You are making my point. Morey wasn’t with the Suns; but I say Morey is appeasing D’Antoni who is begging
    for the model he used in Phoenix to be successful. I see this as Morey’s “show it works or be out on your
    Derrière D’Antoni” year. Morey cuts bait while at the same time train D House in time for the P.O.’s and seek additional
    wing by trade deadline. Consider that a safety net of Morey protecting Morey......saying I gave D’Antoni what he asked for, but I don’t really trust that BS will work. Giving D’Antoni enough rope to hang himself
    while having a contingency plan of House and another Wing (trade) up his sleeve when “Small-lineup” goes bust. Saving D’Antoni from himself.....but D’Antoni has to play them.

Yes, Shaq was then forced on D’Antoni which destroyed his pace and space 7 seconds or less.

I’m saying back in the 90’s you had big lumbering dinosaurs at PF and Center that the PG’s and SG’s could
    out quick and run off the court. Nowadays teams load up on SF’s and counter the lineup of PG’s & SG’s.
    Quite often the SF’s run the court even faster than the PG’s & SG’s. They definitely block out better
    and rebound and block shots better than PG’s & SG’s.

One can not expect PG’s/ SG’s to do the dirty work of the SF’s/ PF’s. It just a mistake.

I still think the Rockets can win 57 games and finish the 2nd seed.....but I don’t see much success vs teams with Wings.
    Proper size Wings. Bzdelik had our defense looking top 5 from All-Star break to end of regular season with smoke
    and mirrors......but when the playoffs come, you are facing well rounded teams with fewer weakness’s that
    you can’t hide your flaws. Warriors exposed them this past P.O.’s. Bzdelik didn’t have enough duct tape, gum, spit, smoke and mirrors in the playoffs to cover the undersized lineups we were throwing out there.

I was hoping to leave Dray and Iggy openVon the 3-point line and clog the paint. They saw our weakness of
    pathetic rim protection and exploited it by sending Dray to the rim with Iggy diving to the rim simultaneously.
    I tip my hat to them. Great call. You can’t counter that except get bigger and stronger. You can’t teach
    taller and Rivers/GG will always be weaker than SF’s and PF’s. So don’t ask them to switch or risk
    getting busted at the rim.

When you only have One rim protector and Houston switches everything, then it’s easy to get Capela stuck out on the perimeter......rim open for lay up drill. We see it time and time again, with these small lineups.

#473 ApacheWarrior, Nov 4, 2019
  14. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

all I can say is doo-doo-doo-do-that-do-that-do...~mary j blinge!

15. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Hello I got ripped when I was saying that after the win the other night.. WE HAVE NO DEFENSE NONE very sad

CRJ713 likes this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

#476 ApacheWarrior, Nov 4, 2019
  17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Ok guys

Its early, but I am leaning Fire DAntoni

18. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Somewhere out there Stephen Silas is chilin with a cuban an a unbuttoned hawaiian

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I trust your judgment Apache. I don't watch much college basketball.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Matt Brase seems like a good candidate to fill in for MDA down the line. There are plenty of other great young guys who could come in and take over the helm. I'm just hoping whenever the time does come it's not a retread type coach. I'm ready for a young guy to build with.