1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential trade targets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Probably. But he's at least on a crappy team that might start thinking about moving players above 25 for picks.

HP3 likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I believe the Rockets offered David Nwaba a min contract but he chose another team. So they had interest.

mikol13, D-rock and Nook like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thad Young would be a strong addition if they were able to do it. He is a good defender.

Nook likes this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they can't knock down the corner three, they are a CENTER in D'Antoni's offense.

Don't forget that. We are hellbent on giving James and especially Russ space, as we should be.

So for all the names mentioned in this thread, delete every single forward that can't hit a corner three. Any players left? :D

Jae Crowder seems to fit the bill salary and skill wise. It would be sublime to always have two of Tucker/House/Crowder on the floor.

#64 RudyTBag, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    D-rock, jboslett and jcmoon like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Yup. There are some concerns about his size, but he is a very good athlete. Offensively all the care is that he can learn to hit threes and pass the ball. He would have been smart to go to the Rockets IMO.

6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

The Wiz prematurely gave up on Oubre. They have a sketchy front office.Maybe there is hope. All it takes is just one sucker.

HP3 likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Jae Crowder is an interesting name.

He was thriving in Boston a few years ago where he was a very good defender that his 3's at a high rate and was usually guarding the other teams best 2/3.

He was traded and his three point shot went south and his defense went from being a positive to very mediocre.

On the Rockets Crowder would be a 5 the vast majority time, likely getting as much time at the 5 as the 3.

He doesn't exactly have a great wingspan at 6'9" but he makes up for it with a really strong center of gravity and a nose for the ball.

The issue with his three ball is that he is only a good shooter at the top, he struggles everywhere else, especially the corners. So to utilize him on offense he would either have to improve his shooting or he would have to come to the top of the key. That can cause spacing issues.

D-rock, jcmoon, Hakeemtheking and 3 others like this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

@Nook if Crowder comes here to play the 5 we're in trouble, although i wouldn't be shocked about that, Mike talking about playing Thabo at the 5 says enough.

He probably thought something like "Man, would love to play for the Rockets, too bad i might not even see the floor there"

mikol13 likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

MDA will play guys that are good players.

He played Rivers, House and Moute.

I am not saying he is perfect, but there are far worse.

The problem is that in large part he is given a top heavy team with garbage at the last 5-6 spots on the roster.

D-rock, jcmoon, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

For me, he played House because he was forced to play him since we had like 7 active players at that point, otherwise House would've been glued to the bench, in fact, Clark played too and had some very solid games in the same period, then he had a couple of bad games when he couldn't hit a shot and got benched forever so, i don't know, this is just me but i don't trust Mike in this aspect, for me he's always going to play the guys he likes or those who can shoot even if they suck overall (Shumper/Anderson/McLemore).

And fwiw i like Nwamba too, but i'm not sure if/how he would've been used here, Mike isn't exactly known to be a coach who plays a lot of players so, i'm not shocked if someone who just wants some playing time opts for other teams.

Nook likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

That begs the question,

Is there even ONE obtainable player that can shoot the three allowing Mike to play them at the 3/4, that can also cure some of the defensive woes we have when we go to the bench?

The Ariza's of the world are all making 12+ million. IS THERE NO ONE ELSE!?! :D

Erbnwarfare likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Before we move on, I'd like to see what Clark can do with Thabo & Mac's 20 minutes. I'd like to take one last LONG look at Clark, because on paper he is exactly what we need. Defensively he has always been fine, but the dude can't make a shot, even though he has a beautiful release.

Vivi and HP3 like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

It honestly isn't about an ideal fit, as there are very few players that do everything the Rockets need well...... it is about improving what we have and to a degree that it is substantive.... I think Crowder would do that. He is certainly a better shooter from the corner than Clint and he has bulk and foot speed that Clint doesn't have. He could play some center and would also Tucker to play more center and rest more.

I would be happy with the addition of Crowder, and it is also possible he shoots better on the Rockets from the corner than he did in Utah or Memphis. He would be getting set up by Westbrook and Harden here.

So far Memphis has been asking for the sky in trade for their pieces (Iguodala, Crowder).... but the asking price will half to fall over the next 6-8 weeks...

D-rock, RudyTBag and HP3 like this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No he wouldn't. Sure, MDA loves to play small ball.

For all of that, per 82games.com, PJ played 89% of his minutes at the 4 last year. Never mind that his net production was horrible in the 10% of minutes he did play at the 5 anyway.

At the same time, at pretty much every stop, Crowder plays at least 2/3rds of his minutes at SF, the rest at PF. Which makes sense, since he's 6'6 and doesn't have quite the full time PF heft of a Tucker, or the way Draymond can do center when he's really a PF, etc.

I'd be fine adding Jae, as the Rockets bench isn't great anyway, but he doesn't give you extra flexibility at the 5.

RudyTBag likes this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's what i'm saying, he's probably going to turn into nothing and be in China in a year, but i would at least give him some minutes for some games, i mean, the season just started, for me it's a good time to play young guys and see what they got. I get that most of times they won't pan out, but you just never know...i mean, D.Mo would've probably stayed on the bench forever or even cut at some point if T.Jones didn't get hurt, what if we would've give some real minutes to Covington instead of cutting him to go after an old and useless player or Black (can't remember now)? I mean, you draft and sign young players, why not even try to develop them? Sometimes they just need playing time.

RudyTBag likes this.
  16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

TL;DR this thread, but FWIW, Chandler and Sefolosha only count $1.6M in trades, since only the portion of a one-year vet minimum salary that is paid by the team can count in trades.

D-rock and justtxyank like this.
  17. kevcai

kevcai Member

I'll take Thad Young and Ariza all day! Hope Bulls/Kings continue to stink it up

18. Nook

Nook Member

Crowder played about 60-66% of his minutes at the 4 last year with the Jazz and was far more effective playing minutes there.

With Crowder playing the 4, Tucker would see increased minutes at the 5.

Crowder isn't a good enough shooter to get much time at the 3 for the Rockets.

D-rock likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not according to 82games.com
    http://www.82games.com/1819/18UTA10.HTM#bypos

And Tucker wasn't good as a center according to 82games.com

20. Nook

Nook Member

Look at cleaning the glass....... he was a PF in 4,319 of the Jazz' 7,889 possessions last year. He only played small forward for 147 possessions... a very small percentage. Further his defensive numbers were far better when he was playing the 4.