1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the defense fixable?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

We replaced a great defensive coach. We replaced an incredibly smart, solid defensive point guard.

I don't think there's any fixing this. 2017-18 is a distant memory, imo. Once you traded for Westbrook, you knew you had to win in different ways.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would say boo this man . . . but I won't. :D:D

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There's also the sheer effect of pace on defensive intensity - there's a negative trade-off there intuitively, because it's harder to expend as much concentration/energy per possession. And if you look at the emprical data it seems to confirm it.

The Rockets are not only the worst defensive and best offensive team in history (as it stands after 4 games) - but they're the second-paciest team in the modern era (since 73) - most of their ultra-high paced team cohort, however are pretty lousy at defense......the notable exception here being the 2019 Bucks, elite pace, very good offense and elite defense.

Like I posted here, the worst defensive teams of all time are actually not that bad - they are mostly playoff teams.

But, elite defensive teams are mostly conference or NBA championship teams, and they play at a much slower pace.

4. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Pretty much this. I'm confident that the Rockets are the by far the best offensive team in the league. Can literally go off for 125+ a night. That's very difficult to keep up with for any team. Defensively, the team just needs to get to the point where it can get necessary stops if a game gets to crunch time.

gotsis likes this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

maybe this is a new asymmetric strategy by Daryl/Dantony -point differnential is nice but you don't get anything out of it - so basically win every game by 1.

Yeah I don't buy it either.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Isn't Turner also supposed to be a great defensive coach? I recall our D being pretty good under him.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Sounds like you're blaming Russ (and the coaching change) while also ignoring that Harden has never played defense at a high or consistent level his entire Rocket career. Truth is we have had to play different because of Harden and his defensive ability/inability. We can't act like NOW we have to accommodate Russ we have to play different. That's lazy, unfair to Russ, and let's Harden of the hook again as usual...

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

All they have to do is actually defense like a team... chemistry and communication will help that. Like a phalynx defense, one covers the other persons flank. Too many drives all the way to the basket.

9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Pace is always going to inflate points surrendered but I think if we can move away from the switch everything defense then we will be better

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I sure would like to see heat map, shot charts of our defense vs last year. Also, 3-pt shooting number (volumen and %) by defender distance (Open, Wide Open, etc).

These are easy to get for our own offense, but anyone know how to get these for our opponents offense (ie our defense)?

Nook likes this.
  12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Like @Clutch said, we have to change our style because of Russ now but not before with Harden :rolleyes:

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

that's not how I understood his point. It's a combination of two guards. We've never had that before. Before Paul, we had Beverley (in 2017) to help execute Bzdelik's defense.

But that year, we had to deal with Anderson as starter, and later in year, Ryno as starter *plus* Lou as 6th man ... all along with Dekker playing 18mpg. Even Bzdelik couldn't get us higher than 18th DRtg that year.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

didnt we see at least a quarter of good defense almost every game this year?
    if yes then it could be willingness to play it....
    of course we dont expect them to go all out in october and injure themselves playing?

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Going to need a wing who can defend the perimeter.

Or a big man who can shut down the paint

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We need both. Tuck will run out of gas and Clint needs to step up on defense. That’s our biggest problem right now.

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:D

I can practically taste the salty sea of tears...

2017-18 was a distant memory, LAST YEAR...

WITH CP3.

18. JW86

JW86 Member

Great defensive coach, you really think so? I don’t remember us doing anything special since MDA even with Bzdelik. The 17-18 was more about players and their mentality.

I’ll give you CP3 healthy and Westbrook definitely is low IQ and all high motor, but these guys as a group just need to have that mentality of defense first. One more very good defender wouldn’t hurt.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What have you seen of Westbrook this year to say he has a low IQ?

He is playing basketball like a black Albert Einstein man. He has been sublime in every facet of the game.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  20. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Heck we could have been easily 0-4 now :eek::oops:
    Just waive nene,gerald green,isasiah,clark as they are four useless unplayable players anyways in the eyes of mike.
    Either unplayable or injured.
    Get more empty roster spot for more impactful players at least than what we currently have warming up the bench.
    If this goes on our main players going to go down as we only play 8-9 man rotation.