1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series: Astros vs. Nationals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 22, 2019.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Astros are going to make a competitive offer for Gerrit Cole, and Cole is a bright guy that wants to be with a forward-thinking organization. I’m sure he and his wife would love to be in California, but I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want to be stuck on a non-contender, either. The Angels aren’t at the forefront of analytics and don’t have a team in place that is championship material unless they add more than just him. The Padres don’t have the cash after paying Hosmer and Machado, and the Giants are an aging team that needs to rebuild. The only California team that really checks all the boxes is the Dodgers.

2. HouClone

HouClone Member

Credit to Grienke. He was bad this postseason before today but pitched great today.

3. vonbock

vonbock Member

Oh well, most of us will be down for a few days and we will get over it. Maybe, turn on the 2017 Astros Video and bring back good memories of that time.

JayGoogle likes this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Winning in baseball is hard as hell. I know a lot if fans who are fans for one month of the year will have a lot to say, but I've got no complaints.

I'm certainly disappointed, but this group has given us an absurd amount of good memories over the last few years, and will certainly be back in the mix next season.

Now I bid you guys adieu as I head into my yearly sports hiatus. Finally gonna get some good sleep and will probably hit up renfest this weekend. Will be ready to talk Rockets in a month or so.

5. Mr. Space City

Nah, the Nats got what they thought was a bad call in game 6 and immediately hit a home run after it.

And calls don't have anything to do with looking at meatballs in the zone and making **** contact when you get a bat on it.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Great job by Hinch avoiding admitting a mistake.

PC was getting "up in the 80's".

Sounded like he was speaking Urquidy instead of a 10+ year starter, former CY winner, who they traded for midseason, who'd been pitching excellent same game, who'd just been screwed on a ball-strike call which led to the baserunner.

Maybe next season Hinch will be more sure.

Still though, Stros had terrible luck tonight with runners on.

7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Don't forget that when this team was down 0-2 and HAD to win Game 3, Greinke went into Washington DC and settled the team down. I know that he only went 4 innings, but he slowed the Nationals down when he needed to. Something Cole and Verlander didnt do in Games 1 and 2.

Greinke deserved a ring.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

He showed up for his World Series starts. In the end, he did enough of what we needed him to do to win another title. The failure is on everyone else.

9. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

Agreed. At least Astros won the championship in 2017.

We still will be contender next year and we will learn from this. We have to win games at home in World Series.

Tfor3 likes this.
  10. astros123

astros123 Member

Verlander looked like **** against the Rays, Yanks and Nats. Verlander was **** all post season along minys one start. Without Cole I doubt we even get past the first round. Verlander isnt what he was a few years ago. Its human nature.

11. Houstunna

Supporting Member

At least he'll be absent the AL with the Dodgers.

Really can't blame anyone choosing Cali over Houston, especially if you're paid.

12. houseofglass21

Real credit for our WS Failure should go to Verlander. We had the chance last game
    to wrap it up and he blew it big time.

13. Elienator

Elienator Member

He had 300 strikeouts, threw a no hitter and will likely win the Cy Young. You are right, he’s not what he was a few years ago, he’s better.

everyday eddie and Sajan like this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I hope Yordan has learned from this experience, if he turns into a monster, as in, do it all year long and into October, maybe it makes up for losing Cole.

punkoholic likes this.
  15. Elienator

Elienator Member

If he pitched like Greinke did in game 7 they would have still lost. When the offensive scores 2 runs in back to back home games to win it all, you didn’t lose because of pitching.

phasors28 likes this.
  16. astros123

astros123 Member

Reload? We're most likely going to lose Cole, Yuli, Reddick, Miley. Theres no way we can replace those players with a positive WAR.

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Each season since 2000, there's only ONE best record vs 2-4 wild cards.

Context

How many 2nd best records won?

18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Astros won the title in 2017 with the 2nd best record. Dodgers had the best record that year.

19. astros123

astros123 Member

What you should learn from this is that pitching is what wins in the playoffs. The red sox won with pitching last season and the Nationals won with pitching this season. We do not have a #1 in the world series anymore with Verlander's performance this season. Anyone who is blind to that fact has not woken up to reality.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]