1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest Houston Sports Series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Houstunna, Oct 24, 2019.

?

Best series ....

1. '94 Finals - first major championship

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. '95 Finals - championship, plus domination - SWEEP

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

These are likely the main candidates.

'94 Finals - First real championship is oh so sweet.
    '95 Finals - Championship plus DOMINATION, sweep
    '17 WS - Astros win Houston's first MLB title
    '95 CFs - Dream embarrasses DRob
    Other

Poll options are the OP but Pressed wrong button and can't edit poll.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

both Rockets championships are above the Astros EASILY and without question

I don’t give a damn about the Astros other than the fact that they’re a Houston sports team

if the Texans ever won it all, that would go above the Astros without question as well

The Rockets 1995 title is 1 of the greatest of all time...as a 47 win 6th seed without HCA in any series, they beat the 60 win Jazz, 59 win Suns, the 62 win Spurs, and then swept the 57 win Magic...tell me 1 team in all of sports that had a harder road to the championship

Xerobull likes this.
  3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

1. 94 Rockets - first ever major championship for Houston. FINALLY got that monkey off our back after soooo many close calls.
    2. 2017 Astros - first ever WS for a team that I've been following for 40 + years. I literally thought it would never happen in my lifetime. As just a baseball fan, it may also be the greatest WS ever played.
    3. 95 Rockets - the 6 seed taking out the 3, 2, 1 and 1 seeds in order. The Elie shot, Dream shaking Robinson and dominating Shaq, sweeping the Finals....you may never see a run like this by any team again

the shark and DieHard Rocket like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rice 2003: imma gonna count Rice beating UT twice in the CWS on way to title, then Standford in a 3-game series, has to be up there.

body slam likes this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

1. 2017 Astros ( Edge of your seat drama and homegrown stars )
    2. 1994 Rockets ( Clutch City )
    3. 1995 Rockets ( Miracle comeback and Drexler )

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  6. SemisolidSnake

Probably have to go with '94 Finals. I was 10, so I don't remember things too well (I remember frickin' OJ, ugh), but there's just magic there that's really hard to beat.

By the time the Astros won in 2017, I'd entered the perpetual nervous wreck stage of my life, so it was almost a relief when it was finally over. That said, it was incredible, and I bought so much WS Champs merch. Then my mom and I made a pilgrimage up to Cooperstown that winter to see both Baggie's HoF display and what little they had out of the Astros' WS run...wearing as much WS merch as we possibly could during the whole experience. That was great.

Still gotta go with '94 Rockets. Hakeem is a Houston sports hero above all others and to see him get that championship was just something special I could and can still fully understand in my gut even if I can't remember as well as I'd like.

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

OP is asking for a series, not a year.

The answer is clearly 1995 Rockets vs. Suns.

Jturbofuel, primtim24 and body slam like this.
  8. ima_drummer2k

If that's the case, I'd have to go with the 2017 WS. Only because it was for the championship instead of the conference semifinals. But it's really close though.

I think Game 5 of the 2017 WS might be the greatest baseball game ever played - no hyperbole.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

94 Rockets
    17 Astros
    95 Rockets
    97 Comets (not kidding, they were riding the Rocket's coattails but it was still exciting)

10. Buck Turgidson

'80 and '86 NLCS deserve mention, regardless of the result.

11. body slam

body slam Member

Who the hell is Chucky Brown?

12. ima_drummer2k

The results tend to take away a lot of the luster for me. Those 2 series broke my heart, especially 86, since we really would have won the WS if we could have just made it to Game 7 with Scott on the mound. Hell, the dude probably would have pitched another no-hitter, but alas, we'll never know.

I feel the same way about the Rockets 22-game win streak. End result was getting beat by the j*zz, so I hardly remember it.

On the other hand, I don't even remember the Pujols HR everyone around here still talks about. We clinched the series the very next game, so who cares?

CCity Zero and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

That Rockets team wasn't that good. Revisionist history all over the internet on them.

#13 Jugdish, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  14. Poloshirtbandit

I'd throw in 2004 NLCS as well. Didn't get the result we wanted but it was a good series.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

2005 was better. Kent walk-off, Pujols moonshot, and perhaps my favorite Astros moment: Pujols spinning like a top as he whiffed on a Roy O. inside fastball for the strikeout.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I think the only rockets team from that period worth a title shot was Artest/Yao team, unfortunately mac broken as usual and when the Rockets had a legit shot against the Lakers, you could see the Lakers were worried there was no answer for Yao, - so China ****ed us by making Yao play 24x7 (you know when he could get some rest... But playing national teams repeatedly). Wait I mean - sorry, China, I didn't mean that, don't cry about my opinions...

Haha, anyway... Yao hurt is foot (finished some of the game with it messed up too), and the Rockets still forced game 7 (and only team to do it against the Lakers that year) even though he was out early in the series but.. just a moral victory. But as Rockets fans, Yay!!!!!

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So... As far as runs - 94, 95, then 17 Astros (although Astros really make me happy since they went through the media gauntlet of golden teams - red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers - loved it as the announcers in typical fashion would mention what the other team needed, not what houston was doing right...).

Then series wise basketball anytime rockets came back in amazing fashion when down 3-1 (so, basically Clutch City, but that LAC/HOU Meltdown was worth it too), or made an impossible shot to knock the Lakers out and to the finals, damn Boston...

Then - Astros loved that run in 05 after the heart break of Cardinals, just sucked after beating Cardinals (finally), got destroyed by damn White Sox.

AND more heart breaks that made winning better - UH basketball not winning multiple times (and losing to NC State on that bullshit), of course a revision of the 86 Mets series would be great etc etc. (I was super young for these ones but have rewatched footage and been told about the heartbreak by my dad and brother), Soooo as someone born in Houston - we know heartbreak, I want to say my first dome game was in 87 or 88 and I remember it pretty vividly, much like that first time going to the Summit to see the Dream play.

Then for Oilers that Buffalo game... "The Comeback" God...... They have an official wiki for that ****, epic meltdown - 35 - 3 halftime, man, WTF... Still think would/could/should of.. I don't know if they'd beat Dallas assuming they made it, but I'm biased and I know for sure I'd be a hell of a lot more interested in the SB. Hell maybe jackass Bud would have not stolen the team... Oh well...

#17 CCity Zero, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  18. Poloshirtbandit

Kent walkoff was 2004. He wasn't on the 05 team.

19. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Huh! Well, your mom is a horrible person.