1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inside the NBA Guys Discuss the Recent China and NBA News

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Chuck never misses a chance to **** on the Rockets...I agree with Shaq and Kenny though.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

After those comments, will Shaq need security to protect him from big tough Chinese men?

RasaqBoi and tinman like this.
  5. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Looks like Shaq is and Kenny are the only ones who are not afraid to say something on that matter. The rest are just too soft or too poor.
    Mortgage, loan , credit are the biggest treat to Democracy, and China knows it best.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol, i can't think of any thread title that makes me less likely to click on a video.

Its down there with " Koala bear snuff film"

Sajan and HP3 like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He’s going ring security at his door
    And the general for his insurance

MarioKissoDeath and Kim like this.
  8. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

Didn't watch and I really dislike shaq but if he said all that I have to say that's balls. Respect him for speaking his mind on the matter instead of pulling a LeBron.

9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

What’s your beef with shaq?

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Barkley just gave props to Vernon Maxwell and Carl Herrera

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. iXnal

iXnal Member

I think one of the biggest problems is the social media make every individual person's role on it some kind of vague. Daryl Morey sure is the general manager of Houston Rockets, but also one of the organizers of MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, a dad to his daughter, a husband to his wife, and most importantly he is himself. A twitter account certificated as the Houston Rockets General Manager owned by Daryl Morey doesn't mean he always represent the entire Rockets organization regardless of whatever he posts.

The second thing is whenever we saw something we consider it injustice, if we do not have rights to speak it out at the right time as we think, it just doesn't match the spirit of freedom of speech.

34to11 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think a lot of tweet accounts of influential people, they have hired a Social Media manager to either tweet for them busy people or tell them what are sensitive subjects to tweet, which timing to use and tweet with caution.

He tweeted a personal opinion on his Twitter handle that he normally used for Rockets or sports related contents, official contents even at times.

Thing with Morey, and it did not start with HK and China, he tweeted about his obsession with the Warriors, and created 'mini tension' when there wasn't any, it was a normal rivalry before that.

He needed to manage his account better or use burner accounts at the very least.

Outspoken that he is as a person. He has the right to tweet anything he wants, but he has to live with the ramifications and consequences.

I think there is no absolute freedom that you can get away with said things, if you are a normal worker and you tweet things about your boss on social media, of course, he also has the freedom to let you go.

#12 daywalker02, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    bearrider likes this.
  13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This thing with Hong Kong and China goes back over 100 years to the Opium war. Hong Kong will remind mainland China of a conflict they lost militarily and China will always feel a certain type of way about it. If these guys don't understand that then they should not speak on it.

bearrider and daywalker02 like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And there is a territorial claim on it, like many mainland governments would have wanted over half peninsulas and islands.

15. iXnal

iXnal Member

Actually we can find out that those messages posted by Daryl himself which can obviously represent to Rocket franchise are only very small part of all he posted, those usually are something like "Welcome to @HoustonRockets @xxxx". And what he usually did is directly retweeting those messages posted by Rockets official account or by journalist. So based on my acknowledge, I think he does have kept a good professionalism on separating his job from his own life on Twitter, then people should respect that. I do know what most influential people usually do to their social media accounts, but to those do not want any other secret accounts, they don't need anyone to tell them which is better or which is not, its just another kind of stereotype.

Whatever, I agree with you about people should undertake the the ramifications and consequences related to their publicly speech. But what I said is that those ramifications should not be casually expanded to a larger group only because their social media accounts certification. The certification on social medias can only assure that one account is related to a real person or unit, that's all.

34to11 and daywalker02 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I also agree, let’s say it is easy to tweet yet all the BS that follows is really complicated.

17. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Mad respect for Shaq

D-rock, CCity Zero and tinman like this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Shaq really hits the nail on the head. In the end we know their values and China knows ours. They have no right to tell us what we can and cannot say.

Yes there are business and diplomatic interests people should be cognizant of and you can criticize someone like Morey for that as Chuck is here but in the end, Shaq is right. The big issue is that the Chinese government is way over the top in their response and they know better.

Respect is a two way street.

D-rock and vlaurelio like this.
  19. dejamike

dejamike Member

There is no good or bad timing to speak up for basic human rights. The timing might seems off because couple of teams were playing in China, but remember when NBA players (including LBJ) were wearing the “I can’t breathe) t shirts? There were major protests against police brutality in various cities, have they not thought that would create even more tension between the protesters and the police?? LBJ, Steve Kerr and all the “woke” people just got exposed when big dollars is involved, simple as that.

clutchdabear likes this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Ringz Erneh... Google me China and the CCP. They 'aint got no ringz, they don't know what they're talking about.