1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Harden a hypocrite for groveling to China for the $$?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Senator

Senator Member

When a minority athlete /entertainer takes shots at America , complains about authority , villifies the police (whether you want to admit it or not, that sentiment promotes violence in poor communities) and pretends like police brutality isn't based on stats, their brand strength increases. They make more money and gain more influence for being seen as "brave" and "moral".

When they are "brave" and "moral" with China or Saudi Arabia, they would lose money, so it doesn't happen.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This racist troll was eating today!

I wouldn't even engage with him guys, he's not very sharp and he'll ignore facts and data and history to push his racist agenda so you're basically going against a wall.

vlaurelio likes this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

who specifically? and why the outrage on minority athletes / entertainers?

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What are you referring to? What false statement has he made made about police? What violent action has he supported? We are agreed he has a responsibility not to do that.

I don’t know what you are talking about. He, or anyone else, has a responsibility to speak the truth as they understand it.

If a person is passionate about helping a particular community of people, that’s their prerogative. That they want to do something good for that community does not confer some extra moral responsibility to actively seek out justice for all people world wide. This is a ridiculous position. Harden (to take your example) would be no more responsible to help some oppressed group in China as any other person or entity that has dealings there.

All this over a single statement of affection for the Chinese people and expressing sorrow for the offense they took? Your conclusion is that he doesn’t actually care about people’s lives?

This is no better than the way the Chinese blew up over Morey’s tweet.

I can’t decipher what this is supposed to mean.

None of this makes any sense.

This is a commonly flawed thought process.

[1] Person expresses outrage over some injustice that has befallen a particular community. Demands change.

[2] Comparable injustice befalls another community somewhere else. Person is silent.

[3] Person must not really care at all about injustice itself.

It’s a flawed argument. It assumes people’s behaviors/decisions have singular motivations. Just a moment’s reflection should tell you that is not the case. We are motivated by a combination of things, because we value a combination of things.

Person might value the welfare of a particular community because his family belongs to that community.

Person might abstractly value “social justice”, “equality”, “liberty”, “fairness”, etc.

Person might value his wealth, his health, his time, his safety, his personal happiness, and on and on.

Now, for someone, such as yourself, where expressing an opinion means you don’t sacrifice other things you value, expressing that opinion is an easy choice. Just as it is for politicians and media pundits for whom it’s fashionable to take a strong anti-China stance.

What I hope should be getting clear to you, however, is that just because someone elects not to express that opinion, it doesn’t mean they value “justice” or “freedom” any less than you, and it certainly doesn’t mean that they don’t value it at all — as you are implying. It could mean there are other things they value more and are not willing to give up than whatever they think might be gained by expressing their condemnation. It’s not like them taking a strong and vocal stance against the Chinese government will cure the problems there.

macho GRANDE, idshiy and vlaurelio like this.
  5. Senator

Senator Member

You, like your overlords, have lost any semblance of a spine and are using false morality to feel better about yourself.

The Chinese OWN all the real estate in San Francisco.

They OWN a huge part of the new stadium and bring in a lot of money for the Warriors.

No one is mentioning this and it allows Kerr to keep deflecting from the main reason he won't speak out against them but will continue to bash America because it won't hurt his own bottom line. This is why athletes and entertainers deflect but take aggressive shots at the country that the most people in the world want to live in other than their home country... for whatever reason. You cannot only preach on things and in countries that help your bottom line and expect people living month to month to fall in line - it has never worked in human history.

I'm not listening to them, but you can bet the guys living month to month are due to the media pushing it.

This is no different than religious hypocrites, people who justify crime, habitual hard drug users . . . weak minded people in general. Why are isolated incidents of police brutality a big deal but 6% of the population committing 60% of crime something to look past? This is what officers deal with every day.

I have no problem if they come out and admit they are slaves to money, but taking the moral holier than thou when it suits me route is pathetic. This has nothing to do with me or my morality... I'm not the sports millionaire only commenting on issues that line my pockets. That's resulted in change exactly 0 times in human history - you have to take on the big picture like a Mandela or Gandhi which none of these clowns have the courage to do. And with sheep like you making excuses for them, in your own attempts to follow the money, they don't have to.

You can't take down tony soprano by nitpicking at the lower level guys.

#145 Senator, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

“This has nothing to do with me, my morals or life” is precisely what a hypocrite would say to justify their criticism of others.

If you are unwilling to put yourself in someone else’s shoes and honestly consider how you’d handle things in their place, then you have no business passing judgment on them. If you actually care about “hypocrisy”.

vlaurelio likes this.