1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The whatever happens tonight thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mkahanek, Oct 10, 2019.

1. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

This is NOT a farewell thread or some sort of "there gonna lose" thread. This is simply a thread to say what is on my mind regardless of the outcome later as my emotions may not allow me to be rational. Win or Lose it has been a great season. We have had to deal with some curveballs for sure. No LMJ this year. McHugh, Peacock, Valdez not stepping up to the plate for the 5th starter spot. Forrest Whitley falling apart. I think they thought he would come on the scene and be a contributor. Corbin Martin not working out. Aaron Sanchez going down. Wade Miley turning into a quivering jello mold. The splattering of injuries.

Through it all this team gave us 107 reasons to celebrate and believe in them. They have been relevant for several years now and are set up to remain relevant.

We got to see Alex Bregman turn into a legit MVP candidate
    We got to see the Rookie of the Year storm onto the scene
    We got to see Cy Young 1 and 2 pitch for our team.
    We won an astounding 60 games at home (62 if you count games 1 and 2)

All in all it was a great regular season.

Thank you Jim Crane and company for spending "at the right time" so we had an elite product to enjoy and will continue to have to enjoy

That said. Let's go take game 5 and continue the march to 2 in 3 years.

GO ASTROS

2. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Let just win the damn game as simple as that!

King1 and mikol13 like this.
  3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Talent-wise, this is the best team ever assembled in Houston sports history. Nothing that happens tonight will change that.

Sure hope we win, though.

4. plee

plee Member

Why they wanted "home" field advantage...

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

"It doesn't matter, Brian. We won 107 games and a division title. First Round playoff exit is disappointing, but still a successful season!"

If you do it for 1 team, Do for all.

So, apply the same standard win or lose.

Sajan likes this.
  6. mightybosstone

This. I love this this team, and it's been a remarkable season. On paper, this is the best team in Houston professional sports history. But they don't give out awards for the best team on paper. If they lose tonight, it will be seen as a massive disappointment, and it should feel that way.

There is no consolation prize, and I don't want to talk about how great their regular season was. They won 107 games and put themselves in position to have home field advantage and to play against an inferior opponent in the first round. You're playing at home with the best pitcher in the world against an inferior roster. Go out and win the game and prove you're the best team. Losing is unacceptable.

Jake Tower likes this.
  7. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

After seeing what STL just did to ATL and WAS just did to LAD I am a bit nervous. Baseball is a unique and frustrating game at times. It is not over until the last out and the better team does not always win. I am grateful that we hung on to win game two or our season may already have been over. Or if we had of lost that game maybe it would of woke us up and we would have got going with the bats. Who knows. We definitely have the better team but we have been there and done that. Maybe we are not hungry enough. We need to pounce early and often if we want to put the Rays away and move on to the ALCS against the Yankees.

Boki4MvP likes this.
  8. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Baseball can be a little bit like golf in tbat if you are a little tense and not relaxed and playing under control it can affect your swing. In golf you slice or pull. Baseball maybe you get under it by 1/4 inch and it is a fly out instead of a dinger. Guys need to go rub Yuli’s hair and have fun.

9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I feel good about being at home with Cole on the mound.

This offense has had plenty of stretches over the season where they look awful for 3-4 games and then come home and bust out and be red hot for three weeks and I’m hoping that starts tonight.

The confidence and calm demeanor of Hinch, Cole, etc in these interviews is on display.

10. TheresTheDagger

We have every advantage we could hope to have tonight because of the season (and offseasons) we've had.

The 107 wins = home field.
    Gerrit Cole is starting = best possible pitcher going. (Thanks Jeff!)
    Our crowd will be on FIRE = because we've won in the past.
    Our players will be confident = because they are at home and play well there.

In past years, the above wouldn't be true. We limped in the playoffs or were good but not good enough. This team is different.

GO ASTROS.

CometsWin likes this.
  11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Astros get more leeway given that they are an actual successful team (won WS), were the best team in the MLB this season, and due to the nature of the MLB playoffs. When the Texans win the Super Bowl and are one of the top 3 teams in the NFL for the last 3 seasons, then they get some slack if they get ousted in the 1st round one year.

12. houseofglass21

If they don't win tonight all that great stuff from the reg reason is immediately rendered null and void

Tomstro likes this.
  13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Not in my book. Not by a long shot.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The past and the future are pleasant. Watching them win 107 games was fun. They will very likely win 100+ games next season...

But if they lose tonight, no legacy. No flags. It’d be a damn shame to have such a talented roster go down early. What a waste that would be.

Should be a good game tonight. Astros are favored.

donkeypunch likes this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Ive said it previously and its still how I feel.

This team is a beautiful car, built for speed, handling, everything in between and if they dont win it all, it would be a car without the motor. This season has had historic accomplishments and has been a very fun ride but IMO it needs that ultimate accomplishment to bring it full circle. Ill still be happy with the car as is, as its a looker but all its doing is sitting in the garage if the missions not complete.

Lets get this done tonight.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um....Don't you know? "It is a What have u done for me lately?" World. Due to the Nature of the Playoffs? NFL is 1 and done. The Astros had 3 games to win ONE. If they don't win, they get the same treatment...or even worse. The SLACK doesn't exist.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

NO ONE CARES if they won 107 games. Like no one cares they won 103 last season on 101 in 1998. It is a WASTED season.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No....just increases their Rank of all-time choke artist. Let's hope this is not the case.

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

A loss would be a super massive choke

Houstunna likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

What happens tonight, we're still stuck with Mr. Scarface. If we win, he'll go around screaming about how he was just being sarcastic all week and loves the Astros and thinks they are great. Until they lose a few games in the ALCS, of course.