1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Harden a hypocrite for groveling to China for the $$?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Oct 7, 2019.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How much money are you personally sacrificing by speaking the truth about China?

I suspect not a single cent. So why should anyone take your views on this seriously? Who’s to say you wouldn’t also be a so-called hypocrite if in their shoes?

jcf likes this.
  2. TilmanFinancialWindfall

His Former Teammates and Leader of the NBA player has this too say

ESPN Staff Writer
    [​IMG]
    NBA players association president Chris Paul on the developing situation between the league and China: "I don't know but so much about it right now. I'll try to find out what's going on but I don't know no nothing right now just trying to figure it out and shllllllt."

vlaurelio likes this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

What standards do you hold morey, tilman, silver, and trump by?

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Harden : I am here for Silver

Harden took a 180 degree turn in a new interview and following Pop to support Silver on freedom of speech.

An in the last few hours, he became one of the most hated NBA players (from previous no. 1 ranked in the NBA history) among the China NBA fans.

https://sports.yahoo.com/am-adam-silver-rockets-harden-080031664.html

The tweet sent over the weekend by Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey has angered fans and authorities in China, threatening a business said to be worth more than $4 billion in a country where about 500 million fans consume NBA content.

Morey deleted the tweet backing the Hong Kong protests and apologized on Monday (October 7), but Chinese broadcasters have cancelled airing of the pre-season game and sportswear companies and sponsors have said they are reviewing their ties with the NBA, which has had a presence in China since 1992.

Harden, the key player for Morey's Rockets who won the NBA Most Valuable Player award in 2018, told reporters in Tokyo on Wednesday that he supports the commissioner and his defence of free speech. "I am here for Adam Silver," said Harden.

Silver, speaking on Tuesday (October 8) in Japan before a preseason game between the Rockets and Toronto Raptors, said it was not up to the league to regulate what players, employees and team owners said.

5. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

No. You seem to be deflecting. Daryl Morey isn't african american & this has nothing to do with your baseless opinion on black ppl. When you use words like "all" you imply a whole race thinks & acts the same which is easily proven false. The fact I have to break this down to you says more about your IQ level than it does me. But I guess it's a teachable moment

6. Senator

Senator Member

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

7. Senator

Senator Member

uh oh, it's a gangster rapper acting tough. All you can do is point out semantics instead of take accountability of the hypocrisy on show here. Maybe you would do better to serve your community by showing that money is the root of evil, whatever a person's race is, and not just demand to be coddled to because of entitlement.

Mr. Free Speech Stephen Curry sure won't say anything to risk losing his tens of millions coming from China, but you can bet he'll throw disses at the US because it will improve his brand amongst the angry like yourself. Ditto for Steve Kerr. All lives matter, you are not the center of the universe. ..

8. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Their is no hypocrisy. You just wanna use this Daryl Morey debacle to stereotype black ppl. Gangster rapper? Lmaooooo. I like the fact you don't really hide you ignorance. So proud of you

9. Senator

Senator Member

You need to stop asking celebrities, whatever their race, for their opinion. You'll be smarter, make more money and sleep better at night. Popovich, Kerr, Curry, rihanna... it doesn't matter , they follow the paycheck and that's it.

10. Senator

Senator Member

This makes no sense , whatsoever. Are you the guy who just wants to see the world burn? Who justifies committing crime because your friends do it? Global warming isn't real, we need to keep destroying forests to spur economic growth, overpopulate and die together.

Someone has to take a stand somewhere, and it shouldn't fall squarely on Morey. The Rockets shouldn't lose more money than GS because of this.

#130 Senator, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  11. Senator

Senator Member

@durvasa thinks we shouldn't take down meth labs because the guys cooking them up have families to feed and stand to lose financially from their loss!! let's ask meth dealers their views on this because they're the ones who stand to lose money , which is God, so only their opinion is relevant.

What an absolute plonker.

12. durvasa

What I said doesn’t mean we shouldn’t urge others who are in a position to make a difference to do all they can. That’s not what I’m saying. I just don’t think we should think of ourselves as somehow morally superior because we want them to do something, if they don’t have the will to do it. It’s one thing to recognize problems and make demands on how it should be fixed. It’s another to have to make actual sacrifices to get it done.

13. Senator

Senator Member

This has nothing to do with me or my own "moral superiority". I've said all along this is sports, not morality or church class.

But it's definitely indicative of how modern day athletes and entertainers use social rights issues to line their pockets when it suits them.

But when you start wearing BLM shirts, commenting on civil rights issues with a clearly biased opinion ignoring stats, profiting off of that, then playing buddy buddy with China because you can't get away with honesty there, it absolutely shows that the only target is money and quite frankly, manipulating the fans.

We are tlaking about the sacrifices of people worth hundreds of millions of dollars who market themselves as standing for something, so you're absolutely out of line here. You are trying too hard to play devil's advocate when it's clear cut hypocrisy. Atleast the people who profit from violent drug cartels do not play the morality card of social rights issues when it suits them, they really are just feeding their families through any means possible.

14. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Rihanna said she ain't singing in Super Bowl to defend Colin and BLM. A true American

15. vlaurelio

So you choose to smear black people but turn a blind eye.to others

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

The irony of people in China using money to say haha we gotta ya you gotta listen to us or lose money... is that the vast majority of Chinese make a lot less money than the guy flipping burgers at McDonalds. The typical lower end office job at a major city, aka a pretty good job, is still only $500-1000 a month. And rural areas are so bad it's pretty depressing to even talk about it.

However the government does a good job of telling its people that although they are dirt poor and cant afford to even buy pork (you can google China pork and costco pretty funny story), the government has money and can use it to laugh at foreign businesses taking that money. That is their joy in life and feel of superiority. Dont take that away from them.

17. vlaurelio

@Clutch
    Can you move this to d&d
    Rich black athletes and blm has nothing to do with harden taking one for morey, tilman, the rockets org,

18. durvasa

Most instances of people railing about hypocrisy on the internet I find to be pretty misguided. Hypocrisy means criticizing others for stuff that you do yourself. It doesn’t mean being selective in one’s outrage depending on who is affected. That’s called just being human. To criticize someone for doing that would, in fact, be actual hypocrisy, because that is something everyone does. Biased outrage is programmed into us by evolution.

Now, here’s your statement:

“Every African American millionaire athlete likes to villify the police and complain about America, the country that pays them millions, yet stay silent about China because they won't get paid if they do so.”

Explain to me how having higher standards for the country you are a citizen of, where you pay your taxes and where you vote and where your children will grow up, how that makes one a hypocrite?

19. vlaurelio

first this needs to go to d&d

next, @Senator needs to name the African American millionaire athletes who likes to villify the police and complain about America

and how are these same African American millionaire athletes getting paid millions by the USA? handouts, welfare, bailout?

20. Senator

Senator Member

Follow this simply:

If Harden wants to be an athlete, an influencer, party, live his life... he is absolutely free to do so.

But whenever he delves out of that, and starts supporting anti police rhetoric, violence, looking at extreme examples while ignoring the actual stats, supporting freedom of speech, he has a responsibility as an influencer to a community. This is also a narrative the far left media promotes and as a result he will make more money, gain more influence and sell more of his brand if he does that because there are more 99%ers like me than 1%ers.

But that means he has taken on a responsibility as someone who stands for something.

Now that responsibility has to be without hypocrisy if he ACTUALLY WANTS CHANGE. Kneeling in an endzone because you're not getting PT WILL NOT BRING ABOUT CHANGE, it just get people talking the same old ish. You have to live it and stand up for what you say you do at all times. What does that mean, stop police brutality, oppression of minorities, stereotyping based on ethnicity yadda then bend the knee to China which specializes in oppression of free thought and speech?

So when he starts to pander to China , a regime based on the opposite of what he claims to stand for in his home country, you know the guy blindly goes wherever the money is because his new "moral high ground" will result in a loss of money over there. He's worth hundreds of millions, works for a guy worth billions, and they're both doing the same thing. He hurts the community he wants to represent more than helps it because if the influencers are hypocritical, then the average citizen isn't going to be given that chance.

From the beginning, people who play ball or entertain should stick to what they do, and the normal citizen should never listen to them when they delve out of that. It hurts the normal citizen when he or she does .. and I do not believe people should be punished because they cannot throw a ball as well as someone else.

#140 Senator, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019