1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Daryl Morey and the NBA need to apologize to China

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by weopeo9744, Oct 8, 2019.

1. weopeo9744

weopeo9744 Member

one of my chinese friends shared this link, he said it is the exact perspective ccp and all chinese fan have.

frankly, i used to hate china's stupid decision, but it seems to makes sense after I watched this

ButtZilla, jojolover, Aruba77 and 3 others like this.
  2. foh

foh Member

Summarize

Jontro likes this.
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

The example he used of Chinese people talking about annexing California or Quebec is wrong. It's more like if Yao Ming called black people the N word. That's how the Chinese feel about westerners questioning their sovereignty.

Which by the way, Morey never did! He just wanted to support freedom, not free Hong Kong. It's actually a big misunderstanding between both sides that's about to completely blow up. Unfortunate.

AXG, Jontro, Theking and 16 others like this.
  4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The NBA nor Daryl Morey need to apologize for anything, other than forming a partnership with the thin-skinned Chinese government in the first place.

The Chinese government might want to learn what a partnership is. It doesn’t mean you get to dictate and control the terms of the relationship at all times.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody thinks Hong Kong should be ruled by the British.

The logical fallacy here is commingling of the Chinese people and "The People's Republic of China". It would be like demanding Canada become part of the USA since we are both basically ethnic British states and USA is rightful rulers of Anglos under whatever logic we make up. As much as some of us believe in 'murica, Canadians dont want to be Americans. Forcing them to become Americans when things are perfectly fine with both USA and Canada is kind of a dick move.

If The Peoples Republic of China needs one Chinese state so badly I'm sure ROC would be glad to accept their capitulation.

It is perfectly fine for there to be multiple ethnically Anglo countries with different politics. Not sure why the same doesn't apply to Chinese, other than PRC wants to be big boss over everybody. Take them away from being boss, and I'm guessing their demand for one China would suddenly become much more timid.

As George Bush said, "If this were a dictatorship it'd be a heck of a lot easier... so long as I'm the dictator."

It is self serving logic created from whole cloth by the CPC fed to the Chinese by the CPC which through some totally not intentional coincidence ends up with them having all the power. CPC has convinced you to fight for a "noble cause" that is actually about the selfish accumulation of power for them. Nice work I'd you can get it.

#5 Ottomaton, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  6. meh

meh Contributing Member

The biggest thing isnt whether Morey is right or wrong or whether hes not understanding whatever nuances about china dynamics, it's that one tweet by a fairly low level NBA official that was since deleted in an hour has resulted in Chinese government banning a multibillion dollar business in their country.

Think about it. Morey isnt Silver. Hes not even Fertitta. Nor is he James Harden. Hes a dork that even many NBA fans dont care about.

And his one deleted tweet led to this response.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tl;dr version: can’t we all just get along?

btw, if Yao Ming advocated California secession, I’d be all over that. I’d probably hang on to Montana though

8. psman2

psman2 Member

Those pesky Jews were the German's bottom line.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the real issue is that
    Hong Kong thought it was getting the same system where they govern themselves but be under China

oh they wrong about that !

roslolian, Ottomaton and Remlap like this.
  10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I stopped once I heard that guy mentioned Donald Sterling.

Same old stupid nonsense sh't coming from someone clearly has no clue about USA.

Theking, roslolian, Yung-T and 6 others like this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Tracy McGrady got snubbed in that video. (and Starbury)

12. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Yao Ming does not smoke weed.

I can guarantee this is a fact.

So sorry to let you down.

13. mockster

mockster Member

These are the only things that matter

1. in America we have freedom of speech, he doesn’t need to apologize at all. Spec ontop of it not being offensive or hateful in anyway. We’re allowed to have opinions even if it doesn’t pertain to the USA that’s why our country is great and why so many shouldn’t take it for granted.

2. I love China but it’s pretty clear they suppress their citizens with hardcore communism and have media propaganda.

3. Outside of political reasoning, it’s pretty understandable Hong Kong doesn’t want to be part of China’s suppressive ways.

I still think China is an awesome country regardless

14. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

If Jackie Chan came out and said Americans don't deserve freedoms and that the constitution needs to be destroyed, and replaced with Asian policies, his sales in the US would take a hit. But the US government would not outright ban Jackie Chan content.

15. malakas

malakas Member

Oh what do you know. Hundreds of millions of Chinese call black people the N word everyday and feel nothing wrong about it.

16. bmelo

bmelo Member

listen they can compare all they want but its their indocrinated point of view the problem, not the speech of freedom. Its like 39’ Germans would be offended after taking half of Europe by force that someone expressed freedom for its people. Enough of hiding behind culture... its appropiate for chinesse to hit his wife lightly so Is this EVIL or just the difference between us and them too?

17. mr2evolution

mr2evolution Member

This stuff is getting ridiculous - imagine being so sensitive thinking a NBA GM can turn the tide of the revolution lol. Does the chinese government think that DM is somehow the catalyst that pushes the the dispute somehow towards those fighting for freedom haha now that would be funny to see.

If the protesters start wearing Daryl Morey shirts that would be hilarious

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

That's cause the N word sounds nearly the same to the Chinese word "that."

19. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

How about China apologize to south Korea for all of the innocent lives lost in the Korean war first? Ridiculous....apologize to a commie....I guess we should just go ahead and apologize to Russia too?

20. malakas

malakas Member

Let me guess ..your excuse for the chinese calling black people gorillas ape and monkeys is also because it's similar to the Chinese word for this and there?

Yung-T, CometsWin, Nook and 3 others like this.