1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China banning the NBA - Who cares thread?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 8, 2019.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't care if China bans the NBA, if their government over reacted, all I care about is the Rockets winning this year and how Westbrook meshes with Harden.

I mean, if the Chinese government is that thin skinned, it is their problem not ours.

So, WHO CARES !!!

GO ROCKETS !!!

Who is with me.

D- Who Cares?- D

Andre0087, RocketWalta, Riz and 47 others like this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just think it's funny. If they wouldn't have made such a big deal about it nobody would have cared. Instead, they've chosen to magnify the message of a deleted tweet a billion fold. Didn't know a damn thing about this situation before. Now I do. And it ain't because Morey tweeted about it; it's because of China's reaction to it.

3. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Nba owner care. They care about money

Morey will never get another Nba job

Look at Colin . blacklisted

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

If China banned the entire NBA it wouldn't matter. If China banned the Rockets but let the rest of the NBA go about business as usual, singling out Houston and all its players as pariahs to be shunned, that would matter if you're a Rockets fan. Because while Harden isn't gonna leave, you have to figure the next star contemplating where to play is probably gonna have Nike/Adidas telling him to avoid Houston.

I know most fans here are taking a don't give a damn approach, but depending on how China and the NBA deals with this issue, there can indeed be real life long term consequences. However, the way China's going about things in their bull in a china shop approach actually helps the Rockets because the NBA now is forced to defend the Rockets and be on the same side.

5. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i care because tillman is already a cheap mofo. now imagine how cheap he will be without money from china.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I don't think the Cap situation is about money. He is making big bucks for Nike and from them too. The cap situation is just good Ole racism.

ElDobleK and amaru like this.
  7. Fansince80

Fansince80 Member

It's not about what the tweet does in the US, it's about what the tweet can do to awaken the Chinese people back home and how to turn a social freedom mesaage around and into a "chinese people, support your government = support your sovereignty" propaganda thing.

8. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

I agree Daryl...I mean DD!! ;)

malakas and heypartner like this.
  9. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

I don't care but "NBA Cares". NBA owners and the NBA overall cares. Tencent paid like 1.5 bill over 5 years for nba streaming rights. There's also a lot of other advertisement that many other companies pay the NBA or Rockets etc. This is also one reason why NBA franchises are valued so high. China is free easy money for the NBA. Watch the Salary Cap + Lux Cap go down too. This could force Tilman to have a firesale if the numbers don't work out !

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This isn't the first time I've seen/read on here about a "well what if China only bans Houston games/merchandise?" and while that could very well happen due to how sensitive China is right now, I find it very hard to believe that Adam Silver and the NBA would continue with business as usual, knowing that a team/franchise/market as big as Houston is specifically blackballed. That would conclude that the other 29 owners and its highest employee, Adam Silver, are pretty much going to let the Houston Rockets franchise/organization die after the league (by way of Silver's statement) came out and publicly backed Morey. You can bet that if this scenario played out Tilman would sue the NBA and its 29 owners for every cent they had because his $2+ billion investment just got torpedoed over one tweet.

11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

China bans internet in certain places so I'm not surprised they banned NBA!?!?

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The NBA doesn’t have any owners that pander to China

since that dude in Florida sold the team
    @CometsWin

clos4life likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't care if the Rockets make less money and therefore become less competitive! I'm cool!

daywalker02 and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

So not true.

The most money an NBA owner can possibly make, apart from selling his team, comes with winning a title or getting very close. Hiring Morey is as close to a guarantee that your team will be among the best in the league within a few years. That speaks much louder than losing some of the revenue from China.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well said. However, you, Williamson, should be concerned. If Bennett's injury is legit he might be CBA-bound, and if this incident has soured the CBA towards the Rockets then that might make it harder for him.

Jayzers_100 and malakas like this.
  16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I couldn’t give 2 you know what’s

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

Chinese money never won a nba title

Houston money won two

18. tinman