1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now the Entire NBA is Banned

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ChillyPete32, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Props to Silver. He could have left Morey to face this assault on his own. He didn’t.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

If Morey starts world war 3, will that help or hurt his chances to win executive of the year?

IvanLCPM, Blatz, justtxyank and 4 others like this.
  3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

That's for sure...

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

don't give alaska ideas

5. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I think this will just lead to the Chinese market using streams and be exposed to even more unregulated information outside of the CCP control.

Dumb move altogether by the CCP.

6. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

CCTV only broadcasts misleading, misinformation and the program with human filtering information regards to those politics. People in China need to use VPN to know the truth and watch the basketball games, goes to Twitter etc. No freedom and justice.

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

In the end the only people hurt are fans. A shame that China has taken this action for one man's response. Imagine if they did that to everyone who didn't support their views. I expected that Morey would educate himself on the situation before speaking out. Maybe he would've have distanced the Rockets and NBA from his statement upfront...

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is maybe Silver's finest hour as commissioner.

Lost in teh fervor is that the NBA has American fans too - rather a large amount of them, they do not like being dictated what they can and can't say, and they very much do not give a **** if it hurts Tillman Fertatta or Steve Ballmer's bottomless appetite for acquiring more and more and more capital and steakhouses by flipping shirts in Suzhou.

Nobody here actually cares if the NBA loses a streaming deal in China. It doesn't make any difference to us whatsoever. It might make the NBA just fabulously profitable instead of ludicrously profitable.

Who cares? What will they do, raise ticket prices here to make up for it that most people can't afford already anyway? Go ahead. I dare you. Demand for NBA is not that inelastic here.

Will, joshuaao, Handles and 3 others like this.
  9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Chuck Fina.

If you want to participate in the world market you need to have MUCH thicker skin. If your position is so tenuous that one person's tweet is worthy of this type of reaction....perhaps your position is wrong?

10. Rockets Puerto Rico Sauce

So, what is gonna Joseph Sai respond with now? LOL

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Morey should be in a Southwest Airlines "Wanna get away" commercial.

12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

He's flying to Shanghai tomorrow to meet with Yao Ming and Co. tomorrow though and could be forced kneel down.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Not mad bro. Im here to watch sports, not listen to political opinions. Its less about individuals who have opinions and more about the league as whole strong arming different groups. Morey should have kept his opinions to himself, just as Tilman, Silver, Popovich and Kerr.

Where is Popovich and Kerr? Both will give their opinions if it benefits them but coward when there might be the slightest blow back.

The hypocrisy runs long and deep with this one.

BruceAndre likes this.
  14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I've already done this (check my old post history) and am very conscience of my fashion and tech purchases. I'm just one person but I've done it long enough and told enough people that I like to think it makes some difference. It probably doesn't but I sleep well at night.

BaselineFade likes this.
  15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. durvasa

Dumb take. No one is obligated to an express an opinion on every hot button issue just because they voice an opinion on one of them.

chimera34 and JayGoogle like this.
  17. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

You know it’ll be interesting to see what players do. If they try to appease China to secure their endorsement deals or supporting freedom of expression. Getting thumped by the CCP might galvanize them to speak out, but I doubt it. The China/HK issue just isn’t a big enough issue for most here in the states. It’s not front and center as much as gun violence here is in the US.

But if America/Players really wanted to push the envelop for freedom and human rights, see how Chinese fans respond when their favorite players challenge their values and world view. They may stop being fans, but they’ll know people they once respected don’t agree with the way their system works.

joshuaao, deb4rockets and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Sure dude. Feel free to voice your opinion on every safe hot topic issue but the one topic that actually pertains to your field. I certainly dont fault them, but its not going to stop me from calling them out for what they really are. Cowards. Cowards hide in the shadow barking when those who are truly convicted step out and put it all on the line.

Again, Morey should have kept it to himself, but mad respect for a guy who wasnt afraid to put his ass on the line.

BruceAndre and jcf like this.
  19. durvasa

And just keeping quiet about anything that could cause offense to avoid the empty charge of “hypocrite” is somehow less cowardly?

JayGoogle likes this.
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You can just tune out their political opinions and focus on their game? I hope you're not someone that lionizes Muhammad Ali? This is that whole 'Shut up and dribble' mentality that only comes from one side and if an athlete supports your side do you think the same?