1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese nba tv calls american players apes and monkeys. Where is their apology?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by malakas, Oct 7, 2019.

1. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Now that goes back to leverage. NBA wants that Chinese market, and it will (did?) bend over for it. And the Chinese sure knows about that.
    What does US have leverage against China? Trump is already using everything he can get his hands on.
    There is little NBA can do, and they will not risk their business over it even if they can.
    It's a messy situation and Morey, as smart as he is, should not have put himself in that position.

2. jayfree

jayfree Member

But calling Porzingis a Unicorn is still okay right?

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I don't know. I've got no idea. I cannot confirm or deny that it's okay. Maybe use your own judgment?

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hah, well yeah. I am sure personally these guys are on Morey's side, but publicly they want those fans/money/contracts etc even if the fans are located in a full on police state. Millions of fans regardless of location will look good on the books for a global product.

And unfortunately I think even if the world were to come together against this stuff, it would still be something that wouldn't change for generations or possibly even a war. So the easy route for them is to take it, as long as they're getting paid.

5. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

**** is getting real for the NBA.
    No more pretending.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, bullshit. Tell your lies somewhere else. Even better, educate yourself.

Shroopy2 and Patience like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Racism and harassment is not based on intent, but perception.

Do you really not see the insult that an African/African American would feel if called a "gorilla", "ape" or "monkey"?

I hope this is just naivete on your part.

Patience likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

It is never too late to do the right thing.

9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

When you hold all the cards and money, you don't need to apologize for anything.

That's basically China in 2019. American companies that do business overseas are basically at China's mercy.

A Chinese commentator can easily go on a rant spewing all sorts of racists langue through an entire broadcast and the only discipline he would receive is from the people there claiming he embarrassed the nation by saying it public, not that his ideas are wrong.

10. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

USA has the freedom of speech. They have the right to say anything. China teaches the people to love their country no matter it is right or wrong for the whole education life. It is difficult to brainwash for them to define the truth or wrong, country always come 1st. Some information are blocked and some are misinformation or cut into pieces. They have to use VPN to get the correct information from blocked information and know the truth. Morey and NBA do the right things in USA, it doesn't break their country law. I think the point is that they need to consider is whether Houston and NBA want to earn the money from China, just like some singers and actors want to gain the supporters like and the money to say the words of support the country due the big China market. Sad but truth. It is master and slave concept, if you dont follow me you will be fired, Trump said. They can strive the balance to think about it. ie. Money or Freedom of speech. I think sports and politics should be separated, I hope it can fix soon.

11. leeallen

leeallen Contributing Member

No, I have never called that when talking about African/African American in general.
    And never have any thoughts about it.
    Always call players' name in English even I speak in Chinese (Cantonese to be exact).
    Same when posting in any forum and social media. I use the official name/nickname everybody use here, in English.
    Because I watch the games/highlights in the US feed/English solely, I don't even know the Chinese name for most players, mostly non-star players.

Many players have their own Chinese nickname which is not directly translated from English.
    e.g. Dream's nickname is King of Africa. Shaq's nickname is Shark. MJ's nickname is God of Basketball.
    (Names that I have never used in speaking or writing. I got them from the media and fans in HK/TW. And I seldom read or watch anything from Mainland)

Too bad that all media call that nickname for Ewing for too long.

(大猩猩=Gorilla)

https://basketball.biji.co/index.php?q=news&act=info&id=10866&subtitle=【NBA時光機】紐約尼克隊史回顧:80、90「大猩猩」Ewing時代的輝煌

https://www.msn.com/zh-hk/sports/nba/nba》歐尼爾退役後賺更多-人生最大贏家/ar-AAEn3D8

https://tw.news.yahoo.com/nba-大猩猩回來了-尤恩牌球鞋再度上市-015441772--nba.html

#51 leeallen, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  12. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

Are they not in the business of making money?

You go on believing these aren't the droids you're looking for.

I'm not that invested in changing anyone's mind

It's largely a futile exercise

Just had some time to kill

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

Why create this thread to further stir the pot. It's an old video posted back in 2016; you bought it here to what further the HK cause. The announcer is an ignoramus.

Surprise surprise there's racist people in Asia too. Are you going to dig up racism videos from HK Chinese too? (no you're not going to do that).

14. Lovemachine2000

It's refreshing to hear a voice of reason in these trying times, unfortunately it'll be drowned out by the sanctimonious defenders of freedom.

15. hezhenxiangx

hezhenxiangx Member