1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S Senator Josh Hawley’s letter to NBA commissioner Adam Silver

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Oct 7, 2019.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Sure. If you follow it, there was that dolce gabbana incident last year, where one wrong ads (perceived as racist towards Chinese), all of their stuff was banned. There were other incidents too. The timing is also bad right after their National holiday (like our 7/4).

To your point, correct, many US people do not know what it takes to do business in China. But I still wouldn't give him a pass on this. At least he should be aware to ask someone that may know and surround himself with one or two trusted advisors on China, instead of posting this impulsively (based on Tweeting behavior in the past, this was already discussed before here, there were actually some concerns here with all that posting behavior).

Perhaps not fair, but once again, with his status, it comes greater responsibility.

Bearded13 and snowconeman22 like this.
  2. YallMean

YallMean Member

He said in his Sunday statements that he considered different perspectives only after posting it. Question: do you or any of us in a position with responsibility to a big organization or people, post in social media so freely on sensitive stuff like this.

I don't.

Bearded13 and jcf like this.
  3. meh

meh Contributing Member

If Morey had said this 10 years ago, it wouldn't be as bad.

If Morey was not an American, it wouldn't be as bad.

If Morey just talked crap about Chinese people, or their culture, or just being a prick, it wouldn't be as bad.

Morey tweeted in the most turbulent time in china American relationship in recent years, and he spoke on an issue that is potentially turbulent domestic issue in China in a long time. And he did it with the most dictatorial leader in Chinese history for at least last 20 years or so.

In a lot of other situations people probably would've just ignored him, but he pretty much did it at the worst possible time

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

POTUS for one.

For two... I'm not so sure that Morey tweeted this carelessly. I'd need to get that information from someone that knows him personally before I'd believe it.

D-rock likes this.
  5. YallMean

YallMean Member

He is in a class all himself.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

ah , you are right in that he can be a bit of an impulsive tweeter.

still , i wonder if Tilman or Les or Tad brown had ever voiced that concern. Tilman loves to talk, Les is too old to understand, and Tad , well i dont know **** about Tad. But anyways, Morey is a bit of a loose cannon .... but , you tend to give that a pass in sports , especially if the ends justify the means. But now with China , holy **** have those tables turned.

He really did **** TIlman lmao.

Anyways , hopefully Tilman can suck it up cuz DM is a good GM and in my opinion this is a huge overreaction by China. Even if you read Joe Tsai's letter, the actions taken by chinese "businesses" is over the top and NOT a proportional response.

7. mms

mms Member

waiting for Trump to jump in. The line should be "It's a disgrace. Make American great again so we should never bow to a foreign power again...."

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We people need to collectively pull our heads out of our asses and calm the **** down haha

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Vote Hawley!

10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Morey had to know they would react this way or was he drunk? He is typically so calculating and intentional but it is hard for me to believe that he didn't know what kind of shitstorm this would cause. Maybe he didn't realize it would be this big of a deal but he definitely should have. Maybe he just didn't care of the backlash? It is annoying how Joe Tsai tries to give Morey a history lesson on China. Joe really doesn't know Morey and I found his letter to be self serving and completely downplayed the situation in HK. "It's okay to have free speech and an opinion but just make sure there is no money to be lost when doing so" is what I got from Joe Tsai's letter. Believe me, the NBA can afford this hit from China and maybe we will all be better off.

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. jayland

jayland Member

Indeed. But Trump has said so many ridiculous and offensive things on tweeter, many have already learned to not take anything he tweets too seriously. None of the people who Trump says should be jailed or arrested for treason for criticizing him has been arrested. And we haven't gone to war with any of the countries he threatened to nuke or destroy on tweeter yet.

D-rock likes this.
  12. YallMean

YallMean Member

The late Anthony Bourdin said " I could have try learning about China in my life and still be ignorant about that culture". American factory - the documentary. Reality it, that's how it is in China with 1.6 billion people in a historical/political environment. I can tell you the simplified ideology and freedom stuff you see on TV is only good on the ears but does not withstand reality. You ask senator Josh to grab a cab in Beijing on the street, and he may find out beyond that ideology stuff, there are the real differences and issues. How are we coming together? It's 1.6 billion people we are talking about.

Again, complicated as hell, do not even attempt without a trusted advisor on this. Lesson to the Rockets organization, get someone familiar with that culture asap and run the PR mill. Things can be done in China. At this point, I only see this going down the spiral being exploited by dubious people.

Bearded13 likes this.
  13. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Josh Hawley is a MAN. Unlike Tilman.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Or probably even knew.... Their internet is pretty limited on outside sites unless the user is going against the government. Hell for all we know the gov added more to Morey's tweet... Gotta use that wag the dog like tactic while they smash HK (fortunately this amazingly brought the most attention I've seen to the mess HK has been dealing with). So I'm def surprised too.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Considering a war started between El Salvador and Honduras following a soccer riot in 1969...

16. lnchan

So will the Rockets of the trade war be getting a federal bail out?

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Utter nonsense. They came to peace in another soccer match 20 years later IIRC. Nothing's changed.

18. HP3

HP3 Member

I hate to break this to you but Morey isnt going anywhere.

Alright that was my last one haha.

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

He is a great basketball GM except for a few missteps here and there.

HP3 likes this.
  20. lnchan

#bewell