1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Travel] New York City Recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SuraGotMadHops, Oct 7, 2019.

1. SuraGotMadHops

What's up y'all, me and the wifey are heading to NYC next month and we're looking for recommendations. She has never been so we want to make sure we hit the essentials. We definitely want to hit up a broadway show (Mean Girls) but the ticket prices are pretty high - any savvy tips on how to not get tourist trapped and snag the best deals?

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you can always try the day-of-show discount tickets places, the main one is in Times Square but there are a couple more, one downtown, one on 62nd St

https://www.nytix.com/tkts

B-Bob and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you might also try to get a hotel room near the theater district, it's awfully nice to walk to dinner, walk to the show, and then walk back to the hotel

tinman and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Don't be cheap. Stay in Times Square or near. If your hotel is too far you will waste lots of time getting around. Uber or Taxi to avoid the subway, as it takes too much time. Eat street falafel, pizza, and ice cream. Enjoy the cold weather, hit up Guggenheim and MoMA

#4 RKREBORN, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would avoid staying anywhere near times square or midtown in general. That place is a hell hole

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Do a ballpark tour.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i was just there
    i saw the heart tattoo with marrisa tomei
    good show, and i got tickets for $40

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Just look out for @jacoby wandering around on DMT!

Jontro likes this.
  9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

What else do you have plan? There are tons to do, I visit frequently and still have tons of spots I want to go to.

One thing I highly suggest for first timers, skip Empire State Building and go to One World Observatory instead, hell even Top of the Rock at Rockefeller. Places that are never suggested is Jane's Carousel, Gantry Plaza State Park, Grand Central Terminal, and Bethesda Fountain in Central Park.

Hudson Yards just opened when I went in April for Wrestlemania but didn't have time to go, but looks badass

[​IMG]

I made a list of places I suggested for my friend that went in July, I can PM it for you if you are interested

#9 Dave2000, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Hustle Town and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  10. SuraGotMadHops

Thank you, I'd love to see your list if you can PM me.

Dave2000 likes this.
  11. jacoby

jacoby Member

In regards to Broadway, they have something called Broadway roulette where, for a cheaper price, you are entered into a lottery with a chance to win tickets to any Broadway show. The chances of you winning a more popular show are slimmer, but my mother does this often and she's gotten to see Wicked, The Book of Mormon and others.

12. Buck Turgidson

Right? Staying near Times Square is possibly the worst advice you could give someone, unless it's Bud and Pam from Waukeegan and they're just sooo excited.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I too recommend not staying near Times Square at all...everything is overpriced to make money off tourists, and it is often chaotic

I miss my chopped cheese sandwiches in NY

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

china town and talk to real knowledgeable people about the hong kong issue.

BigShasta, Dave2000 and RasaqBoi like this.
  15. marky :)

marky :) Member

Wife and I enjoyed Chelsea Market and walking the High Line. Yes, they are two very touristy things to do but we enjoyed the hustle and bustle of NYC.

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you don't have to stay IN Times Square to be NEAR Times Square or the theater district. The Pod on 49th is new and pretty affordable. We've stayed at the Row Hotel which has a food court that's great. The Bryant Park Hotel is kind of a treat if you want something a bit more classic and you can't beat the location.

17. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I second Gantry Plaza State Park. Great place to view the Manhattan skyline and not crowded.

Get away from Times Square and explore the different boroughs. There's so much to see.

Dave2000 and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

A lot of non touristy neighborhoods to stay in south of Midtown. I'd recommend doing that and just ubering to Midtown when needed. Winter time might be even more crowded than summer time in NYC -- post Thanksgiving especially.

19. DreamRoxCoogFan

A lot of advice you're getting is practically the opposite of what I would recommend.

- Don't stay in Times Square. Midtown, Penn Station, and the rest of the 40s are a wasteland. Best neighborhoods Bryant Park area is a good suggestion, but also consider West Village/Soho (the most quintessential New York part of New York).
    - The subway is the most authentic New York experience and shouldn't be avoided. Use the subway frequently as it is often the fastest way to get around, especially when its rush hour (which spans anywhere from 3-8pm). The exception is late at night when you want to get home fast and the roads are empty. Uber/Lyft is much, much more expensive in NY than most places.
    - Rush tickets to Mean Girls in person (the odds are pretty good to win tickets for cheap and seems like less of a headache than TKTS). You can find instructions online on how to rush tickets for a lot of shows.
    - Hudson Yards is kinda boring. If you're short on time, skip it.
    - The High Line is excellent, especially at night if you want a romantic stroll in the evening when the crowds die down.
    - The Whitney is an excellent museum, and also has great views from the upper decks, but the tickets are a little pricey.
    - Governor's Island is one of my favorite places in the city, and can be quieter at times. Nice place to rent a bike as well if youre looking to ride around with no cars
    - Washington Square Park is a fun place to people watch, especially in the evenings
    - There's good pizza everywhere. The rank lists are excessive. My favorite pizza is John's on Bleeker

Enjoy!

20. Buck Turgidson

What do you guys like to do? Other than the show. Food? Museums? Parks?