1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you think will make the 15 man roster?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dominicene, Oct 7, 2019.

1. dominicene

dominicene Member

Here is my list. (With Side Notes)

Starters
    1. Harden - should have been MVP last season. Most productive players in the league
    2. West brook - Will speed up offensive pace. Need to shoot 3's in the low to mid 30 percentile
    3. Gordon - go contract extension - can shoot, defend, drive and come off the bench
    4. Capela - need to improve strength and conditioning. be better defender at the rim
    5. Tucker - is a dawg, who will be his backup?

Second Unit
    6. Rivers - backup 1 or 2 and will be part small lineup rotation and defense switches
    7.Green - looked good in preseason. be consistent 3pt shooter and defender
    8.House - he and Gordon will be competing for the 3 spot. need to continue to improve from last year
    9.Chandler - Veteran Leader and Backup Center
    10. Sefolosha - Veteran Leader and Will rotate and play 3 and 4 maybe 5 in a small lineup

Bench Warmers and Playing in the G League
    11. McLemore - looked good in preseason. will challenge/fight rivers and green for minutes
    12. Nene - head scratcher - could be part of trade
    13. Hartenstein - has improved but not good enough to crack rotation
    14. Clark - if he could be more consistent with his defense and 3 point shot he could challenge Sefolosha
    15. Clemons - played well in preseason thus far

Possible G League Invites
    - Blossomgame - can get more playing reps in the g league or be waived
    - Ponds - undrafted rookie could get playing time in the g league or be waived
    - Frazier - may get an invite to play in the g league or be waived

Who may not make the team
    - Bennett - injured, surgery performed, will be out for some time
    - Anderson - head scratcher, looked terrible thus far, need to retire, can't defend, can't shoot, may be packaged in trade

Players not on the team that may be on the Rockets radar (not in any order)
    - K. Faried - not talking to any team based on reports - could be a stop gap if Capela get hurt
    - Shumpert - Veteran wing and back court defender
    - Mbah a Moute - his skill set could be useful if healthy
    - Montenujas - looked good in the post for CBA, if only he can shoot the 3 ball with consistency
    - Johnathon Simmons - could be a 3 and d guy
    - Iguodala - Veteran with Championship pedigree that could be a 3 and D guy plus intangibles if healthy
    - Bruno Caboclo - I know he's under a short term contract but he would be that 6' 9'' guy with long arms that can defend 3,4,5s and be a strength 4 hybrid

My Last Thoughts
    The Rockets will have the most productive small ball lineups and rotations in the league this season. I also think that with West brook this team will have the fastest pace in the league like in 2017. The only thing that I'm concerned about is that they really don't have the height and wingspan to compete with the likes on Lebron, Paul George, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Lenard

IvanLCPM, fattz, vince and 4 others like this.
  2. DreamQuake

DreamQuake Member

I think ryno makes the team and nene is cut. Ryno is 31, he’s a good bench/ locker room guy, and he knows the system. His confidence can get back up and he will be useful as a shooting big.

KDavis, ilias, vince and 3 others like this.
  3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I bet Nene is gone. I guess he was never viable.

topfive likes this.
  4. Moahst

Moahst Member

I haven't seen enough of modern day Sefolosha to put him as high as you have. Also I'd rather have Ryan Anderson than Isaiah Hartenstein.

5. macan

macan Member

ryno is a popular guy among coaches and players. guess he could make the final spot.

topfive likes this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

unless hartenstein is dealing with an injury , id say he looks worse than last year and you might as well cut. I thought he had promise, and the G-league stats looked good. But, mentally he is not there. Physically, he doesnt have enough to forgive the lack of a good understanding.

Id rather have DMO over anderson . plus he said some nice things about the rockets not too long ago, hes gonna have to watch out for himself in China. ;)

But tyson , nene , and hart is too many strict 5's. We either need a guy who can shoot, or a guy who is a better athlete and can guard 4's... ideally in one player. Only reason I'd consider DMO is that idk what we are doing with Nene ? surely you cant count on him physically , and no idea what you can get for him in a trade. Who knows, maybe DM thinks we need big bruisers to hang with teams like philly and LA.

I think clemons looks good , but we are so deep at guard. Can we 2-way him ?

blossomgame looked nice last game. He has a few more chances to make an argument, idk how he looks in practice. I didnt think his potential was that great, but he looks bigger than i thought.

Thabo i havent been feeling the hype on but he will make

Maclemore has been the best suprise. Hope he continues to play well vs NBA competition

Preseason is always to early to tell if we hit on our vet min pickups. Last year at preseason we thought Ennis looked great and even sung MCW praises.

dominicene and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Ryno will make the team, Clemons will start with a 2 way contract like House last year, and when his time slot will be used in the NBA, the team will trade Nene or dump and and convert Clemons contract to a 3 years contract.

I also expect McLemore will get more minutes than Green when the season progress.

#7 Texanasiafan, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    BigggReddd likes this.
  8. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

MOAR CHINA THREADS

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Whoever China tells us to put on the China Rockets roster.

Nook, MC31B and topfive like this.
  10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Also I agree Hartenstein is a failed project and not looking to have any hope, he is neither good at rebound, defense, finish or even speed.

Plus if we keep Ryno, he is basically useless except garbage time or serious injuries to the rotation.

If we do not need to eat any dead money on him, he could be gone too.

kevtse and mike2k132 like this.
  11. Garner

Garner Member

Tilman going all out to repair the relationship...

2019-20 Houston Rockets:

Liang Cai
    Dong Hanlin
    Mingxin Ju
    Hanchen Luo
    Xudong Luo
    Lingyuan Meng
    Yuchen Shi
    Tong Wang
    Huang Xu

Nook, joshuaao, BaselineFade and 4 others like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’ll be honest, I’m not a big fan of Clark...he has never really impressed me

he seems slow, and he just never stands out...he hasn’t gotten a ton of PT, but still, I haven’t been impressed

45koolly, kevtse, MC31B and 2 others like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Believe Clemons, Clark and Hartenstein still have much to prove to make 15. And Clemons has best chance of the 3.

Do not sleep on Ryno or even Blossomgame making 15. Unless trade/another signing is made, they are in hunt. Especially with Nene's contract/"chronic" adductor injury and AB's surgery.

Finally, would not be surprised if Zhou Qi re-signed to Vipers, in light of recent events.

Williamson likes this.
  14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

For sure making the team
    1. Harden
    2. Westbrook
    3. Capela
    4. Gordon
    5. Tucker
    6. House
    7. Rivers
    8. Chandler
    9. Green
    10. Sefolosha
    11. Nene (sigh)

The above guys have guaranteed deals and will almost certainly make the roster as a result. Nene is a shame - basically a trade chip, but it is what it is.

On the bubble

Clemons (is on a 2wp deal - my guess is that they keep him on that, play him heavy GLeague minutes until Nene is moved to open up a spot)
    12. McLemore (I think he will make it)
    13. Hartenstein (hard to see him not making it - will continue being developed)
    14. Clark - has guaranteed money, will almost certainly make it, but for mine, Blossomgame is an upgrade in size, hustle, rebounding, defence and shooting

That leaves only 1 of the following who makes it. Possibly Ponds non-guaranteed deal can be converted to be our 2nd 2way? If so, I would rather keep both the other 2 and move on either Nene or Clark - or both and put Clemons on a deal. He has NBA scoring talent.
    Blossomgame
    Ponds
    Anderson

Not making the team
    Bennett (injured)
    Frazier (was a 2wp last year, I can see him missing out on being a 2wp this year)

15. dominicene

dominicene Member

This looks good

Kornel87 and bro2044 like this.
  16. JW86

JW86 Member

Keep Blossomgame, McLemore and Clemons. Say bye bye to Clark and Ryno.

Aruba77 likes this.
  17. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Ryno is tall, we can put him in small forward vs Gianns, KD tall type of small forward. He should remain

18. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Ryno is better than Clark

MC31B likes this.
  19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

PF Luis Scola
    SF Donatas Motiejunas
    C Cole Aldrich
    SG Tracy McGrady
    PG Ty Lawson

Bench
    Michael Beasley
    Josh Smith
    Stromile Swift
    Metta World Peace
    Jeff Adrien
    John Lucas III
    Terrence Jones
    Zhou Qi
    Thomas Robinson
    Steve Francis

...oh you went the opening day roster, not the all-time Rockets CBA roster...

Nook likes this.
  20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Cleverly disguised DMo returns thread.