1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adam Silver addresses Morey's tweet controversy in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Oct 7, 2019.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Nook and mikol13 like this.
  2. jcf

jcf Member

Your math is off by a factor of ten. Just on the broadcasting fees.

The Rockets had their best year in terms of operating income last year. $103 million. That is before interest and taxes. Factor in the huge interest that Tilman is dealing with to fund the purchase and things are tight or upside down.

Losing tens of millions in marginal revenue that doesn't appear to come with a lot of corresponding expense is an enormous loss.

3. malakas

malakas Member

MAGA? No.

Durant last year said that India is a dumpster where people **** on the streets.
    Someone sooner or later was bound to open their mouth and say something since players GMs and coaches are all so outspoken.

Especially since the Chinese sensibillities are so fragile.
    If it wasn't Hong Kong now it would have been something else in the future.

ashleyem, JeffB, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Not going to end well. That's like if Morey gave a shout out to the KKK, and Silver said we support his freedom of opinion. Stupid comparison right? Actually in China questioning their sovereignty is a way bigger deal than racism. If Morey called Yao a chi*nk it would have probably blown over by now. But the KKK is clearly evil? You have to look from the Chinese perspective, supporting Honk Kong independence / riots is clearly bad in their pov. There is no room for freedom of expression, just like with the KKK here.

5. jcf

jcf Member

6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Waiting for the Rodman-Yao Summit

Invisible Fan and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This isn't from China however. Most of it is in the US. As posters tried to do 15 years ago in attempting to quantify the amount of money Les was making out of China, you have to keep in mind:

1. Rockets don't derive any exclusive revenue from China in terms of jersey sales, improved ratings, etc. It ALL gets lumped together by the league before equal distribution to each of the teams.

2. Only specific ads bought by Chinese companies in Toyota Center, ads which could also be purchased by American companies, tie in exclusively to revenue generated by the venue, which again is not necessarily the exact same thing as the Rockets franchise.

3. Individual player endorsements and shoe deals obviously don't count.

So while the 1.4 billion people in China lapping up the NBA (as opposed to soccer, which is only ahead of basketball in theory. If you ask me, fan support for the NBA is still ahead of EPL/Bundesliga viewership in China. Local Chinese soccer and basketball leagues be damned) is prospectively a huge source of revenue to be gained, it hasn't come anywhere near close to full monetization by the NBA.

The NBA has a huge burden to cater to its domestic viewership before thinking about China. Honestly, I was against the whole Les wooing China by selecting Yao #1 in the first place. It worked out in that Yao was better than Jason Williams, but it didn't work out in the sense that, for the next decade, Les and the Rockets organization's #1 priority was no longer about winning. So if push comes to shove, China and its Chinese fans need to realize...we don't need them.

ChumpCity, joshuaao and malakas like this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

Then bye.

HP3 likes this.
  9. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

You sound just as a person who's never owned a business. James Harden is a brand, just like Michael Jordan, just like Yao Ming. If a business did what JH did, which is a stop gap rhetoric, everyone would understand, so what's the difference. I'm not bothered. The apology was strategic.

jcf likes this.
  10. jcf

jcf Member

I get that, but I was responding to a post that was trying to estimate the Rocket's share (split equally with all teams) of just the broadcasting revenue.

Based on those numbers and assuming the split was fair (which seems to coincide with your #1), the Rockets would be losing over 30mm/year in just its share of Chinese broadcasting rights dollars. Given the Rockets capital structure, that is HUGE.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Impressive diplomacy by Silver.

12. txn

txn Member

China not a country i guess

Yung-T and malakas like this.
  13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Dare China to ban the entire NBA and force its people to suffer CBA.

Yung-T, joshuaao, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

The difference is that Harden is not a businessman but a professional entertainer that a lot of his own income depends on his popularity.

Being someone who supports genociders, won't get him many shoes sold in the US.

JeffB and csj like this.
  15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Yes but Tencent cannot back out of this deal now. That 1 billion per year is already being paid. It might be another thing entirely if the Chinese government blackballs the NBA, but can you imagine the backlash from their citizens on that? The NBA is religion over there. I've been regularly, and people would NOT be happy with losing their most popular internationally-viewed sport.

Yung-T and malakas like this.
  16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

...in a WWE arena.

17. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

My guy, do you know the history of HK sovereignty? And yes all business, whether sole proprietor or corporation, relies on popularity. James Harden did the right thing for himself and the Rockets.

jcf likes this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

No he didn't.
    If his brand or the Rockets are tied in american conscience with supporters of communism and human right abuse, you think that China will save them financially?
    First and foremost they are based in the US and that's where their most money from.

Almost everyone whether left or right, in the western world agrees on the freedom of speech and the right for democracy. So very few people are against HK protests.

What Harden said was at best ignorant at worst immoral and spineless.

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Thank you for correcting that.

But even at 10 times more, my point being : the broadcasting fee may not be as significant of the income stream that people may think it is.

Rockets situation is unique because of the ties to Yao and other Chinese companies.

And thats exactly one of the key factors when Tilman bought this team and he is willing to bend over on this issue.

Silver is different, he represents all other 30 teams.

For teams like the Suns, Pelicans, Magics, Kings, etc, I don't really see the leverage is enough for them to bend over to offend its own base if this same sh't happens to them.

I am pretty sure that's about all the response from the NBA, if Tencent or the CBA or even the Chinese government (so far other than the media outlets, there is no official statements at all) will demand more actions, I just don't see it (more NBA actions) will happen.

20. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

Seriously, why are y'all internet folks so opaque with your arguments? 100% disagree with your sentiment. What American has the Chinese protest hurt? Matter of fact, I shocked that Morey isn't fired yet. This is just an unnecessary 'heat' that the NBA has to fend due to Morey's lack of perspective. If Morey cared so much, he should 've put his money into their cause, not Tillman's money (the Rockets). Communism and Capitalism are like the kettle calling the pot black. If you seriously understand what they mean. It doesn't mean freedom btw. And I'm american but I don't see any one talking about how Iraq as a country got destroyed because America guessed wrong. Now we have to deal with ISIS. For the sake of not getting lost in the rabbit hole of righteousness, James Harden is a brand and acted as such.

hakeem94 and Invisible Fan like this.