1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adam Silver addresses Morey's tweet controversy in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Oct 7, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's a very naturally grassroots movement to hate the Rockets in China. That is why you will feel very very safe wearing a Rockets jersey in Beijing now.

2. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

now let me see how those banana friends gonna react? will wade react with his li-ning contract?

rgw20014life likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol honestly 90% american fans , media and experts hate the rockets, so that's nothing new

Spacemoth, malakas and dachuda86 like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he wants to change the NBA and what is going on, I dun mean disrespect, HK is just one city among many

Unless his friends are 20 or 14 year olds I doubt that they are directly involved as reported.

It is time for the Chinese to focus on soccer and making the WC anyway.

#24 daywalker02, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I am not a big fan of Silver at all (even before this whole debacle I started a thread on the NBA forum about this a while ago) and the statement yesterday read exactly how I think Silver felt. The statements today I feel were more of a reaction to the immense backlash from fans and politicians towards the NBA. Regardless of how much money is brought in from China, it does not compare to the money brought in by the US to the NBA.

joshuaao, Nook, Spacemoth and 4 others like this.
  6. Audioout

Audioout Member

Not going to quote it but...[​IMG]

JeffB likes this.
  7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Cheeky, very cheeky. [​IMG]

Fitting meme though.

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

These are the numbers of how much NBA is getting from China (Tencent) on its broadcasting rights :

NAB and Tencent just reach a new contract for the period of 2020-2025 for the total of 15 billions USD - and this number trippled the amount of the current contract).

That means (this only refer to the broadcasting fees) :

Currently,

NBA is getting 1 billion from Tencent for all the games of the 30 NBA teams per year from China, assuming it will be divided evenly without any extra sharing / costing, each team will receive 3.3 millions from China for their games to be shown there each year.

Its definitely not enough to cover Morey's pay check for sure, not even House's contract, but it will cover Nene's contract (who will probably never pay a game for the Rockets this season).

For the next 5 years, this income will increase to 10 millions per year, it is still not able to cover EG's contract of 14 mils.

So there you go.

9. macan

macan Member

Morey has cost NBA a lot of revenue by his tweet..one thing for sure, we ain't winning the ship this season..expect to see scott fosters and tony bros in all our playoffs series..this is how silver gonna punish us..

Invisible Fan and bmelo like this.
  10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

That's a stronger statement of support from Silver than I was expecting. I don't expect Morey to be fired or punished after a statement like that. And the silver lining to all of this backlash is that more people than ever are aware of the influence China is trying to exert over the NBA. It's not a good look for them. I wish the NBA had a unified response. We know where Joe Tsai stands. Harden's apology was disappointing as well.

joshuaao, slothy420, bmelo and 2 others like this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

after it hit the national media headlines, Silver put his tail between the legs.
    Where was this type of response yesterday?

If he really supported Morey why he tried to cheat by putting one announcement in english and another in chinese with different content?

Anyway, if embarassment is what it takes to keep the facade of being a "socially aware" league then so be it.

I am at least glad I will not have to stop watching.

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

Actually, Morey has become increasingly more political over the last few months if you’ve been paying attention. He is not a typical left or right guy, and his comments/retweets generally center around facts and data rather than ideology.

Nook, RudyTBag and malakas like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Silver has more respect from me now.

Fertitta has less.

bmelo, Patience and Deckard like this.
  14. thedopefiend

thedopefiend Member

NYT has some numbers for you.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/07/sports/basketball/nba-china-hong-kong.html

It took NBA 30 years to get where they are internationally. Now Morey got emotional for one second and it's all in toilet now.
    Some very stressful days for this guy coming ahead.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A very pleasant surprise from Silver, one I'm very glad to see.
    Now, if only he would stop treating Houston and the Rockets like a redheaded stepchild.

16. malakas

malakas Member

No it would happen sooner or later because there is no end to the crimes and attrocities the CCP are commiting in China. Whether it was today, in 6 months or a couple of years someone would have made a post.

Yung-T, JeffB, Invisible Fan and 2 others like this.
  17. thedopefiend

thedopefiend Member

So you take it as a NBA-version of MAGA. Alright, I am curious to see how that will end up.

Time to short some $NKE in the meanwhile.

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Deckard, Yung-T, slothy420 and 4 others like this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So now, Silver is not the devil. And Harden is a spineless weasel. :oops:

Well, we all know that Shane Battier was the writer of that statement. :D

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Fack Voldemort for selling his soul to the devil err... I mean the Chinese.