1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Formal Impeachment Inquiry of Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

"Who is the bigger fool: the fool or the fool who follows him?"

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The foreign minister of China has more faith in the American people than I do.

3. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

ouch Very true

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes elections are enough to "save" democracy the issue that enough people don't actually vote and don't care.

I have no idea what you think Hong Kong like protest will do.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Its Friday, y'all deserve a laugh... read through this twitter thread...

6. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—In an unexpected twist in the impeachment drama engulfing Washington, leading congressional Democrats have begged Donald Trump to stop impeaching himself so that they have something to do.

In a press conference on Friday morning, Representative Adam Schiff, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, and Nancy Pelosi, the Speaker of the House, both implored Trump to stop relentlessly spewing impeachable offenses, complaining that this practice was rendering their jobs irrelevant.

“Mr. President, as much as we appreciate your help, please, stop doing our work for us,” Pelosi said. “Give us a reason to get up in the morning and go to the office.”

“I know that you’re in no mood to do me a favor, Mr. President, but hear me out,” Schiff added. “I’m trained as a prosecutor. My entire life has been building to a case like your impeachment. But if you persist in impeaching yourself on an almost hourly basis, that really wrecks the challenge for me.”

Just minutes after the Democrats’ press conference, Trump appeared to turn a deaf ear to their entreaties, as he publicly asked the nations of Belgium, Turkmenistan, Malta, and Peru to dig up dirt on Joe Biden.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

THAT is comedy GOLD!

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Are you missing the part where our election processes are currently under attack? Even if foreign actors do not hack the election, and change votes, Trump's shenanigans are sure to create a cloud of controversy about the legitimacy of our elections which will have a lasting impact.

I think everyone is in agreement that elections are enough to save a democracy. Nobody is arguing that. I'm arguing that the legitimacy of our elections would tend to be a major problem moving forward. If Trump can remove the legitimacy of our election process (sure to be his go to move) he has an avenue to stay in power in 2020 and beyond.

Just today I saw a report that Iranian forces have tried already to hack the election, and they'll surely be trying to get a Democrat in office who doesn't want to level their country and destroy their economy. This is exactly why I told people like Mick, Bobby, etc. for months that they should care about taking a hard stance now on Russian interference because other countries will see it as a green light to go to town from here on out.

And if Iran or China hack the election to help a Democrat, it'll just be used as a tool for Trump to use to say the election is rigged, and declare a national emergency, etc. that immediately goes up to the Supreme Court to make a decision on swearing in a new president. Keep in mind, it'll be John Roberts that makes the decision on swearing in the new president. How John Roberts reacts will send a signal to the rest of the government, military, and law enforcement. Sounds crazy, but we are closer to this being a major issue than you might think.

If you think he will not do that, you just haven't been paying attention man. I wish I had your optimism, but the pathway to Trump staying in power despite a loss in 2020 is easier than you might think, and I've seen NOTHING to support the notion that Republicans will stand up to Trump in this moment of truth coming in the matter of months.

Just look at the usual suspects here... how do you think they'll react in December of 2020 after a Trump loss when Trump declares a national emergency that goes to the Supreme Court for a ruling? Do you REALLY think someone like Mick Fry is going to say that the National Emergency is illegitimate and Biden/Warren should be swore in by Roberts? Really???...

9. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump is probably the bigger embarrassment (you can’t ignore him like you can your bigoted uncle) but the voters are the bigger problem.

10. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Oh man, that’s good stuff.

The Four Treasons
    Whitesnakes
    Almost in Chains

Just a few of the good’ns

No Worries and B-Bob like this.
  11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

M'PYCH

B-ball freak and B-Bob like this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Notorious P.I.G.S.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I need to proofread more on this sub forum. I know people (including myself) judge arguments or statements sometimes with grammar and spelling.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fwiw. Schiff gets four pinocchios

mick fry likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Are you missing the part where Trump won the election because of 80,000 votes and low election turnout overall.

I agree with much of what you are saying but I don't understand how a Hong Kong type demonstration stops any of that.

Did you miss the women's march?

People are going to be upset regardless and if we do have a hack of the election machinery heaven help us.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The last part of what you just said is my entire point. I think if you think Trump isn't going to play all of his cards to stay in power, you haven't been paying attention. It doesn't matter if we do or don't have a hack of election machinery.... regardless, if Trump does not way, he will say that there was a hack, and cause a firestorm to try to stay in power.

I didn't miss that Trump barely won in 2016, I didn't miss the womens march, and didn't miss the blue wave in 2018. I know that Democrats will show up in 2020, and right now the poling is pretty brutal for Trump's chances of re-election. I'm not worried about the will of the people showing up. I'm worried about how easy it would be for Trump to still stay in power despite a massive rebuke in 2020. It's not that hard with what we see now with the Republicans who have given up all semblance of patriotism, and the Republican infrastructure that holds the power to let Trump stay in office if he declares a national emergency after a loss.

That is my concern. I hope like hell I'm wrong, and just being hyperbolic.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

White Privilege has got to be the winner.

B-ball freak likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I never judge an argument on that, why would you?

#778 jiggyfly, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't care about a firestorm that's already baked into the cake, he definitely is going to do it.

I don't see how you think any of that really matters once and if he loses the election his ass is out of there.

How exactly do you think he stays in power?

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I can't help it. It's hard to know what someone is informed by on here. How many books do they read a year? Is their political opinion based on Foxnews and/or MSNBC?

I made the mistake above with there and they're because of typing on a phone and rushing. But if someone doesn't know the correct usage on to, too, and two. Why the hell should someone take a lot of stock in the super cool Foxnews pop off monologue that they are repeating here about how their life sucks because of immigrants.