1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Nets Announce 1st Ever Gray Court

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Reeko, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27683304/brooklyn-nets-going-gray-fresh-new-look

A year ago, the Brooklyn Nets knew their black-and-white court was due for a refurbishing. The court's minimalist color scheme, unique in the NBA, had remained broadly the same since Sean Marks took over as general manager in 2016 -- and really since the team moved from New Jersey.

It had also been wildly popular. Rankings of team court designs over the last half-decade usually placed Brooklyn's floor within the top five. The team took pride in those rankings. The herringbone design in the wood, intended in part to mimic the floorboard patterns in some Brooklyn brownstones, was an immediate hit and tied together an overall look that set the Nets apart.

"There was some impetus to refresh things but also some hesitation," says Jeff Gamble, the team's vice president of content and creative. "We were nervous about messing it up. We have seen court designs that have fallen on their face."

But Marks wanted change, to put his artistic imprint on the franchise he has helped reinvent, and he had a radical idea: a gray floor meant to evoke blacktop courts, the streets of Brooklyn, and the borough's "industrial vibe," he says. Gray has been on the fringes of the team's Brooklyn-era palette, including on the alternate Brooklyn Dodgers-themed uniforms they wore in past seasons.

Everything Marks and the Nets' creative team toyed with from there centered around gray. It was a risk -- an unknown. The NBA says it has never had an all-gray court, though a few teams -- the New Orleans Pelicans, Denver Nuggets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Milwaukee Bucks, and others -- have shaded enlarged logos and landscapes into sections of their floors. Years ago, one team proposed a black floor designed to recall darker asphalt courts. The league rejected it, arguing it would not play well on television.

The Nets anticipated some pushback. "We were prepared to present a more traditional option as Plan B in case the NBA was not as receptive," says Steve Vollmer, the Nets' creative director. "But we were all-in on gray."

There was no pushback. The league liked the idea right away, Marks says. Brett Yormark, then the team's CEO, supported the new concept. (Yormark stepped down last month as Mikhail Prokhorov, the team's owner, prepared to finalize the sale of the team to Joseph Tsai.)

[​IMG]

D-rock, Chamillionaire and ISOBall like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Still better than our court

hvic, weakfromtoday, Ramo$e and 3 others like this.
  4. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

Don’t like it but it’d be waaay better if they centered the “Brooklyn Nets” on the end

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did Les Alexander just buy the Nets??

6. JW86

JW86 Member

Ughh what, their court was amazing. Nets are a sad franchise, this just matches the depression.

malakas and tycoonchip like this.
  7. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I feel like one of the biggest issues with TC is how far the floor seats are from the court.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Make the Rockets court like it was for the ASG.
    And dim the lights.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

That court looks amazing

D-rock and yoeddy like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

anything to cover up the pathetic lower bowl situation...Russ about to go from raucous OKC home games to the local library atmosphere at TC...u hate to see it

11. jacoby

jacoby Member

Nets have some great branding but their logo is still ridiculously boring.

12. lionaire

lionaire Member

They had one of the best looking courts already imo. This however looks awful.

malakas likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’ll wait to see how this looks on a TV screen, but yeah, I’m not feeling this look at all

their court looked very good already...if any changes were needed, they should’ve been subtle ones

this is looking like BK’s version of going from

[​IMG]

to

[​IMG]

tinman likes this.
  14. xaos

xaos Member

That's gray

15. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

I'll be there for Nets-Rockets on Nov 1...

Deckard likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I'll have to wait for final judgement to see it on TV, but at first glance, not a fan of the Brooklyn Nets' new "grey court." They took their warm and inviting herringbone wood design and made it look grimy, like someone dumped soiled water on the floor. Not gonna pop on TV, imo.

Their previous floor was one of my favorites. The polished, warm herringbone wood design was exquisite. Looked like a palace. Now it is more old warehouse that might need to be checked for asbestosis.

malakas likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

I feel color blind all of a sudden.

Joshfast, Deuce and malakas like this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

On NBA 2k I always hate these courts, I hope it doesn't become a thing where every team is going to color their courts.

19. malakas

malakas Member

From the best floor to the worst floor.

It looks dirty.

Deckard, B-Bob and Deuce like this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Was exactly my first reaction. To each their own of course...but I was surprised there was positive moment for the floor change.

malakas likes this.