1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Race for Home Field Throughout

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ima_drummer2k, Sep 17, 2019.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Astros 98-53
    yankees 98-53
    dodgers 97-54

I have a feeling this is going to go right down to game 162. How does the tiebreaker work? Division record?

I keep hearing about how many injuries the yankees have but they keep on winning. Does anyone know when are they going to start losing some games? TIA.

Hustle Town and Houstunna like this.
  2. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Astros beat Yankees in tie-breaker for Home Field Advantage due to the 4-3 season series record.

I think the tiebreaker with the Dodgers comes down to Division record, and I believe the Astros are going to take the tiebreaker with them as well.

3. SemisolidSnake

Both the Dodgers and the Astros had 9 division games left when I checked a day or two ago, and the Astros would have to lose all of their division games and the Dodgers win all of theirs to flip the division record tiebreaker in the Dodgers' favor. So that's virtually in the bag as well.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

If this Astros team finishes strong and goes on to win the World Series, it is likely the best baseball team in over 20 years.

The 1998 Yankees I would say was better with 114 wins and an even larger run differential than the Astros.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  5. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The Astros play weak teams than Yankees with 11 games left, we just need play better, and then we would have a HCA.

6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

That 1998 Yankees team will probably go down as the greatest modern day team in history, until it ain’t modern anymore. When you’re talking about +300 diffy teams you’re talking 2001 Mariners (+300), 1998 Yankees (+309), and then you have to go back to the 1939 Yankees before that gets beat.

With a +255 so far this year, a +263 last year, and a +196 in our championship year which was falsely deflated because we had 6-8 weeks where our rotation was Fiers, Peacock, and pray for rain...these Astros are already a dynasty from the perspective of the statistics. Whether or not we get remembered that way hinges on how we perform this offseason. I hope the team realizes that. History is on the line here, just as much as it was in 2017.

#7 Spacemoth, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  8. Buck Turgidson

Both teams have been dealing with injuries all year long and have had to rely on depth from guys nobody expected to help. It's a testament to both that they're sitting where they are right now. They have the bullpen, we have the starters, and both offenses are out of this world.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Why is it always about race.

10. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

With the Astros closing schedule who knows, they may get to +300 this year.

11. SemisolidSnake

Ok, having won tonight, we should now own the tiebreaker against the Dodgers.

This is going to be a wild ride. The Dodgers and Astros have a pretty easy remaining schedule. The Yankees have a slightly harder one. All three teams are going to be scratching and scraping through game 162, which means there are going to be some impressive season records put down by all three. But the Astros have the one-game luxury of just having to keep pace since they own both tiebreakers. That's a very thin buffer. Gotta keep winning. Need to score more runs.

Stanton said something interesting a couple days ago in the pre-game: "The Yankees and Dodgers need home field advantage more than the Astros." All the more reason to take it away from them but also comforting that it's not the end of the world if we don't.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Why would that be? The Yankees have slightly better road record than the Astros, and the Dodgers are just one game worse.

13. SemisolidSnake

Here's a graphic from mangameslost.com, current as of September 11, 2019. It's a pay site, so this is just a thumbnail, but it'll do. The missing X-axis is numbers of man games lost due to injury and the size of the bubbles indicates the severity of the losses. As can you see, the Yankees have by far more games lost by players due to injuries than other team (2244 to be exact). However, notice that the size of the bubble is actually quite small compared to many other teams indicating that their losses were not as impactful. Still, that's a lot of injuries to deal with. The Rays' bubble is the biggest, followed by the Astros and the Dodgers. The Twins' bubble is also pretty large. The fact that all five of those teams are playoff-bound is quite a testament to the strength of those teams.

[​IMG]

14. SemisolidSnake

I dunno. It struck me as kind of odd considering that the Astros have such a dominant home record this year. But that's what he said, so I thought I'd report it.

15. Buck Turgidson

Doesn't matter if you don't have it, but you'd rather have it than not.

Here's how home field tiebreakers for the WS break down:

1. Better record
    2. Head to head record
    3. Division record
    4. League record

I think 4 and 3 should be flipped, personally.

ima_drummer2k and everyday eddie like this.
  16. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just need Correa to get going in October. I don't expect him at 100% right now but he is a difference maker. We saw that last night with his arm.

With respects to the Yankees, it's hard for me to say who has the clear cut advantage in a head-to-head match up. I will say home field advantage matters and you have to take their starters to task. Yankees want to make it a bullpen game.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yankees and Dodgers may have to play the Astros. As such, Yankees and Dodgers need every advantage they can get.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Once you realize you've been exposed, it's best to move your bubbles around... and then ask people to get the **** out of the bathroom while you bathe.

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Thank you Angels!

CheezeyBoy22 and desihooper like this.
  20. Willy92683

Willy92683 Member

Dodgers and Yankees both lose tonight :D