1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Austin Rivers returns to Rockets on 2 year deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 1, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, he can play the 2 as well. Insurance, I get that.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

mikol13 and Williamson like this.
  3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh god thank you! So sick of there being nothing worth listening to/reading and specifically nothing Rockets related. I cannot listen to/read any more articles about how Team USA sucks.

BigShasta and YOLO like this.
  4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Today’s Lowe Post isn’t necessarily Rockets talk, but on the Ex Thunder trio. KD talk at the beginning wasn’t all that interesting to me, but then they got to RW and to a lesser extent Harden and I definitely learned some things.

YaoMing#1, BigShasta and Williamson like this.
  5. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

surprised to see Austin rivers signed and iman Shumpert possibly stuck in the waiver markets.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Two random Austin Rivers questions. Not deserving of a new thread.

1) Is Austin Rivers what Jeremy Lin could have been if Lin actually worked to improve his game? Both started career with overhype; both about same height and body type; neither are a great shooter; both are combo guards. Yet, Rivers works to be good on defense, and has also tightened up his game in key areas. Lin didn't really progress at all, seeming to believe that his shortcomings were the fault of others, and is now out of the league. Both seem like good teammates but I personally would prefer Rivers.

2) Is Rivers a better playmaker than EGo? When Harden and Westbrook (/CP3) are off the court, we tend to plug EGo into their playmaker role. But I think Rivers is a better fit for that role. What say others?

noppeper and 34to11 like this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I never thought about it, but Rivers and Lin are astoundingly similar in terms of overall makeup. I don't think Lin would ever have been capable of staying in front of quick PG's like Rivers, but I do think Lin is a better playmaker. What Rivers brings is far more valuable as a combo guard next to Harden and Westbrook/Paul. Lin should still certainly be in the league skill wise, but his attitude and insufferable fans played a big part in it.

At no point have I ever seen any actual PG skills from Gordon. Offensively he is a pure SG, and it's always a mess when we try to let him handle the ball. Rivers isn't dynamic by any means but he can at least manage an offense in a pinch. I would be shocked if he handles PG duties next to Rivers.

smp, DreamShook, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When it actually matters, Eric Gordon is significantly better. Don’t forget how much of a nightmare EG can be when he is right. He can cancel out a Klay Thompson...(HOF’er)

Austin Rivers has the perfect skill set for this team. He loves to defend and he is a fantastic isolation player on offense. It’s almost a dream come true.

Can’t help but be pleased with Morey for grabbing Rivers & Mac & House from the trash heap. Young, quick, hungry and talented former lottery picks that Mike D’Antoni now trusts. Unbelievable...

rhee, smp, Deckard and 7 others like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

1) Rives is everything Lin could have been, but Lin doesn't have the confidence of Rivers; he left it all in NY. If Lin was a better defender, he would probably still be in the league. Lin has the athleticism to be a better defender. We don't know what Lin would have been like if he was in Houston with MDA. I think MDa could have unleashed Lin once again with his brand of "roll out the ball and play" basketball.

I don't think Rivers has tightened anything up; he has been the same player he has been since he entered the league IMO. It's just now he is able to operate in a me first system when he can ISO as much as he wants.

2) No question Rivers is a better playmaker than EGO and it's not even close. Rivers should be the PG and EGO the SG all the time. EGO should be granted zero dribbles.

Corrosion, ico4498, ak99999 and 2 others like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I agree with you except i would allow ego up to 2 dribbles but no more than that

BaselineFade and Corrosion like this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

okay 2 dribbles. no cross-overs and no between the legs.

Corrosion and hakeem94 like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you allow him to mouth off only once or twice a game, that would be spot on.

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I know I am one of the very few, but I legit think EG is getting fouled. They never call a foul on EG. I would start yelling too to get their attention.

Harden cant be the only one getting to the line. gawd damn.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't know why Gordon would ever be viewed as a PG. He doesn't have a PG mindset. He is a pure scorer, and pretty good at that when he is on.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree but when he was 21 or 22 with them Clippers, he was a scorer, now he has turned himself into a shooter/slasher type without much of any other stats.

#455 daywalker02, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. Rocketsfan3422

I dogged Rivers as a player I never wanted to see in a Rockets uniform....After having him, ive eatin my full bowl of crow. He is by far my favorite most hated turned loved player ive watched....pause.

18. JackLordsHair66

Same here, his “tech daddy” move the other night is stuff of legends ! He’s a capable defender, can run the point and initiate offense decently (when you have Harden it’s kinda easy) and has a deceptively quick step and drive to the hoop where he usually finishes nicely, he just need to hits his open 3s a little more consistently. Really glad we grabbed him last year and that he chose to stay here which I didn’t expect tbh.

jcmoon, RustyHarden and eric.81 like this.
  19. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

One major difference I'd point out: when Linsanity happened it was with MDA in NYC. Lin not only scored well, but played great as a ball-dominant guard who ran the pick and roll well (with Tyson Chandler, in fact.)
    I've watched every minute of Rivers playing as a Rocket and I can't recall him ever running a pick and roll and assisting a basket, or driving and kicking for an assist. I'm sure it has happened, but it must have been very rare. This isn't a fair comparison because of course if Harden or CP3 or WB are on the floor, the offense will go through them. But still.
    Am I remembering this incorrectly? Why are there no videos of Rivers passing?/s

20. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member