1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Unpopular opinion) I don’t like Harden’s one-leg three

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Sep 12, 2019.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Let me preface this by saying I DO like that James works on new moves every summer. But , I’m not a fan of what I expect is one of his new ones ... this one legged runner type thing that’s been in a few video clips .

There are a few reasons why I don’t like, and really only one comes from the move itself . I think it is a move that puts a lot of stress on the body and as important as James is to us .... I’d rather him not take a shot like that .

The main thing I don’t like ... and I didn’t like this about the stepback he spammed last year . Is that , by the time the playoffs roll around the move will have been scouted to death . Teams will come up with differing strategies to take it away from Rubio guarding him from behind , to GS players undercutting him and threatening injury .

Wouldn’t it be great if James held more in reserve for the playoffs . Can you imagine if he broke out the stepback 3 starting in the playoffs ? It would have taken teams by surprise , and even the guys in later rounds wouldn’t have a WHOLE season of tape on it .

I’m glad James is improving and constantly coming up with new moves . But he , and the braintrust of the organization, need to come up with a better plan to maximize those moves’ value in the playoffs .... and that means exercising restraint during the regular season .

So I guess my opinion isn’t that I don’t like the move , it’s more I don’t like how I expect James to implement the move .

Maybe this is just a false worry on my part . But , with how MDA is cool with handing over the keys to his guys and is cool with spamming the same thing non-stop .... I’m worried . Are you telling me that if James can make that shot at 40% MDA won’t encourage James to shoot it whenever he can ?

I just don’t wanna see James dominate and then have his efficiency cut in the playoffs because he’s already put everything out there for other teams to scout .

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't see how it helps create any more space than the 2-legged side step. maybe it's a slightly quicker release that catches defenders off guard (pun intended), but like OP said people are gonna scout this and be prepared to contest it anyways. would have preferred he perfected his post up game this summer instead

3. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

im sure clint capaela wont object. the one legged three was a fake alley oop attempt that capeala didn't take advantage of!

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

U can’t just break out a new move once the playoffs start. U need the regular season to fine tune and perfect it. Teams weren’t stopping Harden’s stepback three in the playoffs. He shot a very good percentage on them during the playoffs.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’m not against using it at all, but I am against using it with the volume we’ve come to expect from MDA and James .

Also , I know MDA would disagree here ..... but isn’t that what practice is for ?

Edit .
    @pippendagimp

Agreed , can you imagine harden in the post and Russ cutting to the basket full speed . (With shooters elsewhere)

I know 2<3 but I think harden is skilled enough that that 2 is pretty much automatic . Also he’s a great passer . Would he be a great passer out of the post ? I think so

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

i agree @snowconeman22 tbh, I don't really expect him to use that move in a real game on a regular basis. I too hope not at all. imo really gimmicky and something you just may do playing some pickup. And it's actually potentially very dangerous in terms of potentially injuring his knee etc. one mistep or so, and that can potentially be an acl/mcl/pcl, sprain, Achilles, ankle etc. The off balance of shifting weight to one leg in a high intensity game setting isn't ideal and in an off instant be a costly consequence

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

He wants to be a legend.

MuddyWaters likes this.
  8. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'm going to wait to see it during a real game before I decide if I like it or not. If he can make that shot at a very high rate, then I'm probably going to love that shot.

Tfor3, vlaurelio, dje243 and 2 others like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yeah , but that’s kinda what I’m worried about . If he can , we are gonna spam it . Regular season spam isn’t a good strategy in my opinion

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

One legged stepbacks are impossible to guard. If you watch white iverson play a popular streeballer thats short and slow you see how effective he is. Harden can pull this if he drives then stops at the midrange.

SF3isBack!! and Ramo$e like this.
  11. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I'm kinda torn on this one. My first question would be just how good has he become at it. If he can shoot it above at or above 36% like his traditional step back, it does give him a different weapon that he could pull out if needed. The more weapons the better. Only he would know when to use it or when it may be necessary to use it to get off a tough shot. I'm all for James using the post or medium area of the floor a little more but i don't think will happen.

Harden's creativity and individuality are what make him special. Having the step back, sidestep, and maybe this 1 leg shot would make it harder for defenders to guess correctly when he is being defended above the 3 point line.

I wouldn't be concerned about teams scouting it. You can scout greatness all you want to. You still cant stop it. Maybe when teams are playing him from behind or try to force him right, he can take off explode off of one leg and still get the look he wants. If anyone could pull it off it's him.

I hadn't thought about the injury factor until I opened this thread. That is a valid concern. So how good can he be at it is still my question. if he can shoot it at an elite level, it may be worth the risk.

RyanB, Air Canada and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Wait.. I highly doubt he shoots that in a real game.

Remlap and BMoney like this.
  13. Dash

Dash Member

Ya'll don't even know for sure if this is his new move he's talking about lol

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Read his Vanity Fair article.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

practice can’t replicate an in-game situation, and in Harden’s case last season, he had to what he had to do in order for us to recover from our horrible start and get as high a seed as possible so I doubt saving things for the postseason was really on his mind as he was carrying the squad

I doubt we will see this move all that often during the regular season...I’m not expecting 3 1-legged stepbacks a game from Harden or something like that

fckbandwagons likes this.
  16. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Nobody was complaining when Dirk did his silly yet effective off foot jumper. I think everyone should calm down. We wont see this unless there is no other option, or a blow out, or just to catch the defense of guard to keep them honest.

17. alethios

alethios Member

I agree, he could be a force in the low-post if he perfected his moves. Time for a few sessions with Hakeem?

snowconeman22 and pippendagimp like this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

would be a nice weapon to go to in certain matchups, or on nights when his 3 isn't falling

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Could be a counter to when guys like Rubio play him from beside him or behind him. I’ll believe it when I see him actually do it mid-game, though.

BaselineFade likes this.
  20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The only thing I agree with here is that James needs to diversify his offensive repertoire for the playoffs because at times he becomes easy to game plan against when teams have to play him 4-7 times.