1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

(Neither of those guys coach defense...)

2. theimpossibles1

Hey would you mind fu**king off? This board is for Texans fans.

If you are lame enough to bet against your own team (i assume you claim to be a texans fan), you could at least have the decency to keep that weak sh** to yourself.

Theking likes this.
  3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Sure but at that point in time the odds of Texans winning was much, much higher. The reason why you think that the Saints ended up with a 58 yarder being reasonable is because BOB/RAC/whoever's responsible is terrible at end of game playcalling. That's why Brady went all comeback on them. That's why Russell Wilson went all comeback on them. It's why Brees came back. These aren't all because they're great QBs. Great QBs don't conjure points out of thin air at end of games without the defense helping them out.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, you can only be a Texan fan if you expect them to win every game?

Nook likes this.
  5. theimpossibles1

Can you make a post without twisting meanings and making idiotic assumptions?

Texans fans don't bet against the texans.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Aren’t you the moron that is 5’2” and got butt hurt about a Kevin Hart short joke someone else posted and before has complained about women not liking short men? Get your own **** in order before you call someone else out.

I am a Texans fan and was an Oilers fan before then. I also am very good at sports gambling. So you can shove that up your short ass.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Can you make a post without being insufferable?

Texans fans don’t bet against the Texans? I am not sure who made you King or Texans fans but I never got the memo.

I will bet against any team if I feel strongly enough about it. Especially when a lot of the money goes to relatives to help support them.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  8. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

That's the most Texas thing I've heard in a while.

What quantify's a real Texans fan? Are you a real texans fan and if so, why do you think you're a real Texans fan?

How does making a bet on the Saint's make him a weak Texans fan?

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why not? That makes no sense. If I was in Las Vegas and the Patriots (for example) had a good line against the Texans, I'd definitely bet against the Texans. Or in a similar situation the Rockets or Astros. That doesn't make me any less of a fan.

10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It doesn’t matter whether it was a chip shot or not. All the Texans needed to do was play solid defense for six seconds and they win because Brees spent too much time spiking the ball earlier in the drive. Considering the Saints were more than 40 yards from the end zone, it was either touchdown or bust for them, unless they were gifted an easy, short completion. Which is exactly what the Texans did with that idiotic prevent defense.

The Texans deserved to lose after coming out in that formation. That defensive formation is what you’ll see in the dictionary next to coaching scared.

#4130 DVauthrin, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    DonnyMost and Plowman like this.
  11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Spot on!

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

... and OBie haters!!! Get with the program.

13. Hey Now!

.... Yes, that does matter. If given a choice between him kicking a 58-yard FG and 48-yard FG, you'd shrug your shoulders and not care? That's silly.

No; it was NEVER touchdown or bust. They needed 3 points; not 7. The Texans' plan was to keep players in front of them and inbounds. And, again... this is important: they forced a 58-yard attempt. That isn't optimal (you'd rather they have no attempt) but it continues to feel like people are reacting to him making it so easily and retroactively assigning it "gimme" status.

I don't know if I'd use the word scared, necessarily - but, yeah... they played it conservatively because the Saints' offensive personnel is elite and much better than the Texans' personnel, and RAC wanted to force them to burn time and take short, underneath passes in the hopes that, worst case scenario, it sets up a less than ideal very long FG.

I'm not arguing it was the best defense; I'm arguing it was defensible and produced an outcome (a 58-yard field goal attempt) that, again, wasn't optimal, but did favor the Texans (in that, recent success rate on 58-yard field goals is less than 40%).

If we didn't have past failures to lean on here, if there wasn't so much vitriol around BO'B, if the Texans' offseason had been just all around cleaner & better, I think more fans would see this differently. But I fully understand this regime being well-past moral victories. Hopefully, they can build on the many good things and cleanup the bad things.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

Eh...... I think a big part of it is very much because they're great QBs. We're not talking about Mariotta or Winston or Bortles doing it; you'll agree that would be far more problematic? We're talking about 2 guys headed to Canton (one of which is the greatest QB who ever lived) and another guy on track to get to Canton. All 3 are... top 5 current QBs?...

Also, 2017 was a long time ago - I don't remember the specifics of either drive but the degree of difficulty Monday night - especially for a QB like Bress - wasn't very high. He needed 30-35 yards; had :37 and a timeout. I don't know how often a QB as good as Brees would get that done... but I would wager (heavily) it'd be far more often than not, regardless of the defense. I would wager Watson would be able to do it far more often than not. Hell, remember in 2009 when Matt Schaub did it, like, 2-3 times and the kicker missed each time?

And that's the other part of this: the kicker still has to make the kick. And Lutz absolutely crushed that kick. Give that guy credit. Does anyone here think Fairbain would've hit that kick?...

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Yep. This hemming and hawing about how we did good to keep them to a coinflip FG to win the game is nonsense. Just because we were significant underdogs does not mean it is OK to piss away a win that we clearly had firmly in our grasp by a series of really, really stupid decisions. This kind of bar lowering is such dogcrap and is basically the theme of the entire BOB era.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. DVauthrin

The Saints had only six seconds remaining to make a completion to get within Lutz’s range, use their last timeout, and attempt a field goal. So, if the Texans actually attempt to bring pressure and press up on the Saints receivers, odds are near 100% that the clock expires at the end of that play. Therefore, unless the Saints get a touchdown, they would have had no time remaining to attempt the potential game-winning field goal. The only way the Saints could do both is either complete a quick-hitter to the sidelines, get an easy, short completion, or have the Texans commit a penalty.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

48 yd FG was not an option. 6 seconds wasn't enough time to complete a 17 yard pass. There were 4 possible outcomes:

Incomplete Pass/turnover/whatever ends game.
    Short Pass Completion + Long FG Attempt
    Long Pass Completion + Clock Runs Out
    Long Pass Completion Touchdown

The Texans played to stop the extremely unlikely #4 instead of the 50/50ish #2.

Gray_Jay and snowconeman22 like this.
  18. Hey Now!

... I mean, they played - and perfectly executed - #2. They forced a 58-yard field goal. Better, they forced a kicker who had earlier missed a 56-yard FG to kick a 58-yard field goal - which, since 2009, is not 50/50 but 64/36. Are we going to argue a 58-yard field goal... isn't long?

It feels like people are throwing out some fairly basic common sense so they can pile on the Texans.

19. Hey Now!

The Saints were going to run the exact same play regardless of how the Texans defended it because it was their only option. And there's no guarantee pressure or press ends the game because, again, Brees was going to do exactly what he did: quick strike, call timeout. The only way he wasn't doing that was if a receiver broke free at the LOS and had clear sailing to the end zone, which is only possible if you press or bring pressure. The Texans split the difference - they took away any deep mistake and kept the play in front of them and inbounds.

I think everyone is operating under this false assumption that because what the Texans did didn't work (though, it did... Lutz just crushed the kick), obviously, doing what YOU think they should've done would have. And, yeah... I'm struggling to get there with you.

20. DVauthrin

You are struggling to get there because you either enjoy defending this coaching staff or refuse to acknowledge how much time it takes to run a play in the NFL. If the Texans played press man coverage and took away sideline options, the Saints would have had a near impossible time completing the pass and calling timeout in under six seconds. Perhaps Brees still hits a sideline route in under six seconds, but it would be very difficult, and have very low odds.