1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

This is where our offense should have picked up the pace, we only score like 14 points w/ the last td under the brilliance of Watson. BoB mustered only 7 points each in the last 2 quarter, wheres the fking aggression to go for the throat? Fking pathetic.

DaDakota likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

All fair points. Success rate on 58-yard field goals (since 2009) is 37%*; between '00-'08, it was 17%. So, yes - they've gotten better - but it's still just a tick or two above a 1 in 3 chance.

* I've been spouting 48% throughout the thread; I initially did the wrong range and narrowed it to *just* 58 yards. It's 37%.

3. conquistador#11

If score was kept this way then the Chiefs would have been in the Superbowl last year, beating the Pats 31-17 in the AFC title game

4. Hey Now!

I thought the Texans mostly answered the call *most* of the night. Who thought the game was over when the Saints took that opening 2nd half drive for a score? (raises hand) But the Texans answered with a pretty ballsy touchdown drive of their own. Then, Watson made his only mistake of the game, which Hopkins compounded and their subsequent drive started on their own 4.

The Saints turned up the pressure - but I thought the Texans hung tough with a team that was a bad call away from the Super Bowl last year. I know, I know... I KNOW! Moral victories can play in traffic. I get it! But I saw two pretty evenly matched teams going back and forth last night. And I will ride or die with Watson; he's the t***, man.... That guy is sooo good.

everyday eddie likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

This.

It is also why I put a solid amount of money on the Saints to start the second half.

The Saints inevitably woke up and the Texans defense isn't very good. They lost Clowney, they have issues at corner that are not going to be hidden like they were in the past. JJ Watt is one of the 3-4 best defensive players ever but he has a repaired back and a lot of mileage. Teams are going to exploit the Texans defensively.

The good news is we can use some top draft picks the next few years to fix the defense.

Offensively the Texans have some very nice pieces at QB and receiver.

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

New O-line coach
    New D-coordinator
    Sign Marshall to allow b-Mac to blitz more
    Sign Scandrick to put Colvin on the bench

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Last year the overall percentage in the 55-60 range was 63%!

https://www.pro-football-reference....istance=55&max_distance=60&order_by=game_date

In 2009 it was only 23%.

#4107 SamFisher, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  8. Major

Major Member

LOL. What exactly IS BoB responsible for? Not the players, since that's the GM. Not anything on defense since that's RAC. Presumably, when he had an OC calling plays, that means he wasn't responsible for the offense. Not responsible for dumb decisions as long as they are in the first half. When RAC was assistant head coach, BoB didn't even have to worry about miscellaneous head coach duties. He must have the fewest responsibilities of any head coach in history.

Also, maybe the defense wouldn't have been so bad if the HC wasn't trading away pro-bowl DEs for junk.

vinsensual likes this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

PREACH.

KEEP PREACHIN'.

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The thing I come back to is -- a good team finds a way to make a play there in that final drive, either getting to the QB or knocking a pass down, and forcing a hail mary attempt. You can't settle for 'well, we forced them to make a really long field goal to win it' and tip your cap.

I think I even heard Tessitore say that Lutz was hitting from 60 pregame. The Texans should know this and factor that in.

Also, on the last play, after watching it again, it was really only Colvin giving such a large cushion presumably because Ginn had just burned him. The real mistake was not giving him extra help (having him play tight and a safety over the top).

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I saw somewhere that the Texans sent 3 or fewer rushers at Brees 16 times (including every play of the winning drive). Brees went 13-16 during that time and 6-6 on third down conversions.

Putting the game-winning drive aside, you would hope that someone on the staff could recognize that sending 3 men at Brees probably isn't going to get it done.

Hell, even the great JJ Watt got 0 tackles and 0 QB hits for the first time in his entire career.

14. Hey Now!

Sure. But the Saints are a good team, too (probably a better team, honestly), so we have to give them credit for finding a way, right? I mean, look - yes, obviously the ideal situation is to make some sort of stop there. But as bad as the loss was, I just can't kill a team for losing on a 58-yard field goal.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not killing them and will say the offense is very encouraging, albeit a lot of that was converting on 3rd and longs which is not sustainable - but given that this is year 6 of OB, year 3 of DeShaun, and OB just pushed all of his chips in with the Tunsil trade, you have to hold them accountable. We have been so devoid of marquee wins during his tenure (and nearly all of the teams existence).

My stance is that you don't get "credit" during a loss at this stage, after the moves that were just made 10 days ago. To me this was another sample, along with the Eagles, Patriots, and Seahawks games of the past two years - that they are not going to be able to win in the clutch in the playoffs. Hope they prove me wrong.

everyday eddie likes this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Get Brian Ferentz in the building ASAP
    And get somebody to replace crennel and not Anthony Weaver either.

17. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

This is the fool that we need to fire...he has lost it.....also we need some more high IQ players... because aaron Colvin has no football smarts. 0.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Agreed 1000%

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Fire DBs coach and hire Steve Belichick he can be groomed to take over DC duties.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member