1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Buck Turgidson

Playcalling on the 3 drives prior to Watson's heroics was ****ing horrible.

So...yes. He's also in charge of this OL cluster**** we just witnessed. None of that means that any of the other coaches do not deserve shares of blame as well.

Oh, and he's also the GM.

DaDakota and juanm34 like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Why didn't the Texans know this, genius? Didn't watch enough old football games? Not up on their folksy sayings?

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

BoB is the hc/gm, what u saw on the field was of his design. The people he hired to coach defense to the oline coach. Coupled with the mismangement of timeouts and offensive playcalls. BoB is a sht coach who once again lost to a superior team.

juanm34 and Jturbofuel like this.
  4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

16-32 against winning teams I am assuming the Saints will finish with a winning record.

8-24 on coach's challenges.

The one tonight was beyond dumb, because he took a timeout instead of just challenging the play to begin with. It cost the team 2 timeouts when he lost

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Coaching wise feel the last play is what bothers me the most. 6 seconds left the Saints either have to complete a short pass for a reasonable FG attempt or score a touchdown. Anything in between runs out the clock and results in a win. Surely there's a defense that will at least challenge that last short pass given how awkward the clock situation was for the Saints at that time.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL...blinded by hate. RAC calls the defense. Won 3 SuperBowls. He blew those defensive calls, not BoB. RAC was hired by Rick Smith. The offense gave the Texans the lead. Timeouts was in the first half...and they scored on the drive. Nice try though.

TheFreak and No Worries like this.
  7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Texans have to want to win right now they just play the game not wanting to lose.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yep. This was an indefensible decision. The defense kept the play in front of them. They basically did what that formation is designed to do, but it GIFTED the Saints the yardage they needed for a field goal attempt. Overall, I think they had a good game plan, but that coaching decision basically gave the game away. It was a horrendous choice.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So...should O'Brien have a conversation with Crennel about the bad defensive calls on that last drive?

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I wished they had played the final drive differently, but...... a 58-yard field goal is not "reasonable" - Lutz had missed from 56 earlier and, I looked it up - success rate on 58-yard field goals since 2009 is 48%. If, this time yesterday, I'd offered you one play, 52% chance to win, WE ALL would've jumped on that. I know I would have because I gave them 0% chance of winning prior to kick-off.

I know there's *a lot* of history packed into the loss, and I'm tired of moral victories, too. But last night felt... different. I'm frustrated by the loss by excited to see this team gel and put it together. That was *much* better, more eclectic, exciting offense. Wait until they actually get to, you know, practice together.

I think they'll beat the Jags this week and have a real shot at going 6-3 to open the season.

TheFreak, Rashmon and RockFanFirst like this.
  11. Hey Now!

Am I crazy? To me, the biggest blunder was the kick-off - why did they sail that into the end zone and not force NO to run clock on a return?... I don't know... I thought that was more egregious than anything on the final drive, because, again: they ultimately forced a 58-yard FG. The guy absolutely crushed it but, man... we need to stop acting like that was gimme.

juanm34 likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Bro we were up with 40 seconds left . We shouldn’t have settled for 52 percent at that point

red5rocket likes this.
  13. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

BoB biggest sin is still his lack of being able to protect an elite talent at QB. I can’t see Watson lasting 16 games which would be shame. It’s not just the horrible personnel, but leaving tight ends who can’t pass protect 1 on 1 with DE’s and OLB’s. We just can’t pick up blitzes. The defense was puzzling in the final minute, but if they get this kid hurt, nothing else matters.

If they ruin Deshaun that is directly on BOB. Either fire him and bring in a competent GM/coach or sacrifice your franchise WB’s future.

everyday eddie likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

Yep; and they were up 6 with 50 seconds left. I mean... I'm leaning more to giving credit where credit is due... Drew Brees is going to Canton...

Rustyrig likes this.
  15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It wasn’t a gimme. That’s not the issue though. The problem is that we gave them exactly what they needed to have any shot at winning the game. Anything else would have most likely resulted in either an even longer field goal attempt, or the clock running out and the game ending. They really couldn’t have called a worse play under the circumstances.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The offense was encouraging, but there is no excuse for giving them an opportunity at a FG on the last drive, especially after Payton pulled a real O'Brien by not calling a timeout with ~:14 left (at that point they could have run a play downfield, probably gotten a closer FG attempt and pretty easily got up to spike it).

You also make a valid point on the kickoff, not allowing them to run some time there.

A savvy coach would be aware of this sort of thing, as well as know not to play soft coverage at the end there. It feels silly saying this but I know it after playing years of Madden growing up. These types of things are what make the difference against good teams.

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

I think the problem was we left the game in the hands of the Saints. We basically said, "ok we'll kind of step back and let's see if you step up and make the play".
    How good kickers are nowadays I wouldn't give any opposing kicker a chance to kick it under 60 yards. Rather have them chuck a hail mary in the end.

18. Hey Now!

A downfield play with no timeouts ends the game. Payton & Brees managed the final drive -and their last timeout - perfectly.

There was nothing... flashy about the final drive, and yes, I think the Texans could have managed it better. But... on the whole, they kept plays short and inbounds and ultimately forced a long field goal that 1) was the longest of Lutz's career; 2) was longer than the 56-yarder he had previously missed. I mean...

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

No problem giving credit to brees

Still , just because it was lucky that we were up doesn’t mean that we should say “aw shucks”

Until the coach proves he can win , I’m gonna look at his decisions with a skeptical eye .

everyday eddie and Silent_Bob like this.
  20. Hey Now!

Look, this has to cut both ways - if we were "lucky" to be up, the Saints were lucky to win.

Fair enough. I know the vast majority of fans won't look at this loss in a vacuum. But this one felt different. To me, anyway. I'm ultimately much more encouraged than upset - though I get the frustration.

snowconeman22 likes this.