1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

[Spears] Rockets to work out Jared Cunningham

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

2. JW86

JW86 Member

Lol odd

kjayp likes this.
  3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Another guard. Shocking.

4. fattz

fattz Member

5. psman2

psman2 Member

To make Westbrook feel better about not being the worst shooter on the team.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Finally someone Cunning.

Deckard and BigShasta like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am Jared Cunningham and this is my Wife...

Oprah.

OvenToasted likes this.
  8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

So scrub that even tanking teams don't want him. If you expected nothing from him, you'll still be disappointed.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Surely, Jared Dudley will weigh-in on this.

Ramo$e likes this.
  10. Macdaddy91

Macdaddy91 Member

Don’t be so quick to judge.

Looks good to me:

Potential from 3,
    Extremely athletic,
    Good defense

I would give him a work out too why not lol more guard competition the better in my opinion.

don grahamleone and FrontRunner like this.
  11. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I can smell a championship on the horizon! Lock him up!

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think you may be a bit quick to judge. Those are highlights. The guy actually shot 26% from 3 in those 2017-2018 playoffs. And that's from the Euro 3 which is shorter than the NBA 3 the last time I looked. Extremely athletic could be true. Good defense? Who knows how that translates to the NBA. Of course he averaged 34 points for the Monkey Kings in China... so there's that. :D

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Can't believe we're working out players and scouting players.... it's time to show Tilman that we won't stand for this cheapness anymore.

14. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I’d much rather have Shumpert or JR.

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Moreys fascination with 1st rd busts continues...

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  16. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

All your guards are belong to us

Sanctity, MC31B and Deckard like this.
  17. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

I think the best thing that Jared Cunningham is known for is being the player who Doc Rivers chose to keep over Joe Ingles in 2014.

Doc Rivers would lament the decision:

Clippers coach Doc Rivers laments decision to cut Joe Ingles

By Andrew Greif

Staff Writer
    Jan. 16, 2019

Clippers coach Doc Rivers said he believed cutting the Australian forward was a mistake in the moment.

That ominous feeling has been validated ever since as Joe Ingles has gone from one team’s castoff to another’s treasure.

“I said that the day we released him,” Rivers said Wednesday, before his team faced Ingles and the Utah Jazz at Staples Center. “This is a bad decision, and that we’re going to regret it.”

Now in his fifth season in Utah, the 6-foot-8 Ingles is averaging a career-high 11.8 points and 4.8 assists while adding 4.1 rebounds a game. His three-point shooting has dipped from the 44% he shot each of the past two seasons to 37.2%, but he still forces defense to account for his threat from beyond the three-point arc, thus opening Utah’s offensive spacing.

Most importantly, he’s retained the edge that has allowed him to carve out a career in a league that welcomed him with a rough introduction.

Ingles began his career in his native Australia, then played to Spain and Israel before joining the Clippers for training camp in October 2014. Clippers coaches found him to be a well-liked teammate whose basketball intelligence showed in meetings. He averaged only 1.2 points and 1.0 rebound during five preseason games but coaches looked beyond the statistics at his skillset: Great vision and a good shooter, too, even if didn’t display the accuracy that has made him invaluable in Utah.

“He was solid but you know, he was on the third unit so he wasn’t getting a lot of (opportunity),” said Jazz forward Ekpe Udoh, who was then a Clipper. “He wants to compete and just show people that he can play. He’s done that since the beginning of time, from Europe to here.”

The Clippers were intrigued but even they couldn’t have predicted the kind of contributor he’s become.

“I didn’t know Joe was going to be this good,” Rivers said.

An injury to guard Jordan Farmar sealed Ingles’ fate. Needing a backup for starting point guard Chris Paul, the Clippers opted to keep guard Jared Cunningham than hold onto Ingles.

Without using Donald Sterling’s name, Rivers intimated it was the former owner’s preference to keep roster costs low that forced the team’s hand. The Clippers could have kept Ingles on the 15-man roster, but it would have required releasing someone else while paying out their contract.

“Unfortunately I was working for someone who said we couldn’t eat a contract and that’s life,” Rivers said. “We were begging to try to just, ‘Let’s eat one contract.’ And they said, ‘That will never happen.’ So we had to let him go.”

The Jazz claimed Ingles three days later off waivers and beat Jordan Hamilton for the team’s final roster spot. Both Ingles and Utah have reaped the rewards since.

Ingles had his revenge less than three seasons later when Utah beat the Clippers in the first round of the 2017 playoffs. He scored 12 points, with five rebounds and four steals, in a Game 7 victory and signed a four-year contract worth $52 million later that summer.

He’s become beloved in Utah and gained more national notoriety this week as a trash-talker by calling Detroit’s Blake Griffin a “flopper” to his face during a game.

Inside the Jazz locker room, “people definitely have love for him because they know he’s going to war with you every time,” Udoh said. “He competes, he’s witty. That’s my guy.”

And much to Rivers’ chagrin, Ingles was once the Clippers’.

@andrewgreif

[​IMG]

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/la-sp-clippers-report-20190116-story.html

D-rock, Deckard and whozee like this.
  18. Macdaddy91

Macdaddy91 Member

You are acting like I called this guy an excellent pick up or a steal lmao.

I am simply saying that I like what I see and that his qualities can prove to be benificial (a good cutting, 3 and D guard/forward). He may even potentially make the team. The more guards playing and trying out the more assurance I would have from the outside viewing in of the talent we have at the guard position.

I said potential 3 point shooter. After watching his stroke and his shot selection (yes they are highlights) I can definitely see the potential. Remember Gerald green was not a shooter at all. 26% from 3 in those playoffs is definitely not ideal. But, after looking at the types of shots, I would like to see his percentage with spacing that Harden and Westbrook would provide.

This is simply an invitation for a work out. Absolutely nothing to lose. Maybe Morey or the Rox scouting team saw something in him that can translate.

19. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Cunningham outplayed Dangelo Russell in 2015 summer league in a game where Utah whooped lakers back when lakers had larry nance, jr, Jordan Clarkson, and Russell.

Trey lyles was probally the best player from that summer league game.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No, I never said you said any such thing. It's just that after years and many teams, he's never shown anything other than he's a horrible 3 point shooter, and I was just letting others know that it was just a highlight video that wasn't indicative of his career shooting in the NBA, China, or Europe. His big plus is his athleticism, and I can see him be a possible steal off the bench if they can somehow get that to translate. Maybe he's picked up a 3 point shot, but it would be amazing if he did. He can definitely be good on the receiving end of transition dunks because he's got silly hops. It could be fun if he does makes the team, though, and maybe D'Antoni's offense can find him a spot or improve his game somehow.

And Gerald Green has actually always been a decent-to-good 3 point shooter. His problem is that he's inconsistent and prone to stupid play.

Deckard likes this.