1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 FIBA World Cup in China thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daywalker02, Jul 26, 2019.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This team not being good as the other stacked national teams makes this tournament more interesting IMO.

napalm06, Mazulis, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  2. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Team simply has no balls, when Marcus Smart is your only player with any sort of killer instinct you're in trouble.

3. omgTHEpotential

Team USA is still the most talented team, but I think it's dangerous to give those other teams any extra confidence. Nobody will ever underestimate a team this talented and coached by Popovich, but they might become more confident in their own ability. Being a little starstruck and timid used to be a factor for some of the international teams when facing the Americans. This might not be the case this year.

beardsanity713 and Mazulis like this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I wonder too if Pop's style will hurt the team more than help it.

Pop has a pretty strict and stern style. Do what I say or you're benched kind of thing. Never putting another player over another, expecting the same effort and focus from every player he plays.

This works when he has basically full power over an organization...but he doesn't really have power over these guys. I think a few losses could really unravel this team. If he were coaching Harden, Curry, Lebron, Kawhi etc etc...the talent would just be too much anyways. Now Pop is still a great tactician but I doubt the chemistry of these guys, especially on defense.

Should be an interesting tourney.

lockedin34 and omgTHEpotential like this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

Scola still playing?

6. omgTHEpotential

Yes, he has been carrying Argentina through their exhibition games. FIBA Scola is a beast lol.

7. DreamQuake

DreamQuake Member

From what I have heard he is a lot more relaxed and joking. He even made a joke about having them run and had them run 3 feet. I don’t think he is that worried about the whole thing.

8. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

That hasn't been the case in years. The international teams respect Team USA but none of the decent team have been timid or afraid in a decade or so.

biff17 likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I guess he does have some experience coaching some of these teams and probably knows a lighter hand will do. I guess I was just thinking about how he coaches his Spurs team.

DreamQuake likes this.
  11. omgTHEpotential

I think Pop knows this "lighter" approach might also help recruit some of the talent to San Antonio, haha.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

can this team usa even win a nba championship?

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Time to call Olympic and World Championship hero Carmelo Anthony to swoop in and save American honor.

14. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The puncher's chance that other countries will always have against Team USA is their systems. What we have seen in past Team USA disappointments is systems overcoming significant talent discrepancies. Most of the time, Team USA's talent will overwhelm everyone and probably will again. But we shouldn't be surprised if they lose this September. Better teams could lose, especially in do or die tournaments.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. omgTHEpotential

It's probably a 4-5th seed in the East, and around 7-8th seed in the West. They lack a real superstar.

daywalker02, Jontro and Patience like this.
  16. omgTHEpotential

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

USA v Canada

#77 heypartner, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    DreamShook likes this.
  18. biff17

biff17 Member

Team USA seems to have a lack of playmakers especially in the backcourt.

Jenna is the only guy who can create for others at a high level and White is the only other PG.

Mitchell is not really a playmaker nor Tatum.

I think that will be the issue with this team.

19. omgTHEpotential

USA is the strongest on paper, but I'd bet money on Serbia winning it all this year. They're good enough defensively to give USA problems. And offensively... they have Jokic surrounded by elite shooters. Enough said.

20. biff17

biff17 Member

That's not enough if they don't have good ball handlers.

Will be interesting final 8.