1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeMarcus Cousins suffers another possible injury

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mikol13, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Too bad he never got a chance to support those Houston shorts in a home game

2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

1) because he wanted a bigger contract, which no one would offer him now, coming off his injury
    2) Because being on a winning team raises awareness of your play. The starting center on GS is going to get more notice than a better center on Phoenix. Particularly if he plays well within that system.
    3). What other offers did he have that were better?
    4). Like other players, like KD, perhaps he just felt like GS wanted him more, and would be a better group of guys to play with.

So, no, he wasn't chasing a ring just because you say so. Despite what you think. MAYBE he was, but you'd have to bring SOME evidence with you to back up your claim. Boogie never really seemed like the ring chasing type.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

nobody offered him a deal? fake news

just stop it. if you're that naive, that's all you. didn't go to GS bc he wasn't chasing a ring, lmao.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  4. magichat281

magichat281 Member

the most devastating injury he has is his head injury. declining multiple times to make some big bucks i dont know what wrong with this dude. When Ring chasing go wrong and you try and try again and fail.

banzai and roslolian like this.
  5. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

He should just buy bitcoin and he’ll recoup his money in a few years.

Elephant810 likes this.
  6. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

1) false. He could have signed for more money elsewhere and didn’t.

2) Completely false. Every GM keeps track of every all star caliber center in the NBA, no matter what team they play for. Playing on a flashier team makes average fans like yourself more aware. The same thinking doesn’t apply to an NBA GM.

3) See #1

4) KD was also a ring chaser. He is not evidence in favor of Demarcus not being a ring chaser.

You have absolutely no evidence that he isn’t a ring chaser, yet you ask other people to provide evidence. Classic deflection tactic from a person that’s clearly biased.

7. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Hey Zippo, I don't think your argument is as lock down as you say. For point 2, I think there is a middle ground. Sometimes it's hard to know if an empty stats player can still contribute in a winning system. Plus, there is something to be said for a player that can raise their level of play in the playoffs vs a player who puts up numbers on losing teams. A great example is when we paid Ariza the first time after torching the league in the playoffs. Morey even thought he had 1st option potential after that run, which he clearly didn't. I don't think Ariza had that value before the playoffs and before the Lakers got their ring. I absolutely believe a good performance in an extended playoff run can get someone paid, and vice versa.

For point 1, it's my understanding that Cousins didn't have better offers, to be honest he didn't have any offers at all. Here is an article where he talks about it and some telling quotes.

"We reached out to teams, the Pelicans, there was no offer. I understand. They didn't want to take a chance on a damaged player. Cool.

"We reached to some other teams. We got answers like, "we don't believe it's a good fit" or "we gotta see what we're doing with our roster," just bulls&&t answers. And then it was some that were like, flat out, "we can't take that risk." I had to prepare myself for that situation, the different possibilities that would happen."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...egative-reaction-that-came-with-his-decision/

Despite the article, I side with you and believe he could have gotten more from some team, but I don't think BigDog is biased for saying the same thing that Cousins himself said.

8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Those were still 1 year deals. The question was why didn't he sign a long term deal.

As for why sign why GS then, I've answered that.

This I would hope is true, yet you see examples of it not being true fairly often. Keep in mind that fans are who buys tickets...GMs are. Plus, it doesn't matter how GM's think...it matters how players think. Players like the buzz of playing on a winning team.

KD was an example of both, I think...wanting a ring AND thinking he'd enjoy playing with GS more. A win win situation for a player.

I'm not the one claiming he was. So, yes, I'm asking for evidence. That's how the process works.

As for evidence he's not...the lack of any evidence that he was (any quotes he's ever made, anything from any teammates, etc) would serve for that. Cousins has never been a ring chaser before...the knock on him was that he was more interested in his stats than in winning. Now suddenly he's only interested in winning? You'd need some evidence to support that claim.

This is all pretty simple. If you want to say 'I think he's just chasing a ring', that's fine. Your opinion. But when you say 'he's just chasing a ring', ie, making a statement of fact...you need to provide some evidence that that is actually true. Granted, not the norm in sports talk, but than that's why I don't listen to sports talk much...lots of blowhards stating opinion as fact (not saying that about those here, but about the sports talking heads). I said that I disagree...an opinion, and I have provided reasons why I disagree. Others here are stating that he was just chasing rings as a fact...which requires evidence to support. Or...indicate that it's just their opinion.

#108 BigDog63, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Thinks that just because he can't actually read and can spout opinions, he's all that. LMAO.

You're the same as the blowhards I don't listen to on sports talk. So, now I won't listen to you here.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

dont. youre just that naive.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Cousins' weight finally caught up to him in today's NBA if you are gonna showcase athleticism as a big man 0you better be on the lean side ala CC otherwise make sure you don't jump higher than 2 inches everytime you are on the court.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Boogie on down to retirement. He'll have to do his rehab at the YMCA because no team will want him at their facilities.

p***y.

BigShasta and LFE171 like this.
  14. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

15. malakas

malakas Member

He should be banned for life from the league.
    Death threats to the mother of his child.
    Hopefully the police takes this seriously and gets the child far away from him for good.

16. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

That's the reason he made the threat.. He wants his son to attend his wedding and the mother won't allow it. Could be out of spite.. who knows. dumb decision to allow her to get under his skin like that.. but at the same time she shouldn't be using their son as a way to get back at him or whatever it is if she's upset he's marrying another woman. Especially if the son wants to be in attendance.

17. malakas

malakas Member

so?
    Because he didn't get his son to his wedding while he doesn't have custody, he is justified or excused to make death threats?
    And "get under his skin" is a huge understatement for what he said.
    He didn't just swear at her or call her names, he said he will hire hitmen to execute her.

18. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Point me in the direction where i said it was justified? In response to your statement "Hopefully the police takes this seriously and gets the child far away from him for good" .. i was stating that the reason he made the threats is because she's trying to keep him away from him. Never said it was justified.

19. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

I thought it was the height of stupidity to try and compete for a title fresh off rehabbing an Achilles. But this man keeps keeps climbing that ladder

malakas, GotGame15 and beardsanity713 like this.