1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else still high on Clint Capela?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

looks like the blonde patch is back

[​IMG]

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

try do that to steph

gogispade and bulkatron like this.
  5. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I’ll say it one more time. He wasn’t that great to begin with. Someone said he improved. The stats say otherwise. He’s never been a great perimeter defender, so that doesn’t absolve his average rim protection. His efficiency numbers on offense took a major hit (20%) when considering his bread and butter plays. Those are the numbers. You spin them how you like. For me, as a Rockets fan, I want to see him get back to 17-18 numbers at 18-19 volume.

pippendagimp likes this.
  6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I'm so scared for Capela's feet and knees this season. Training camp literally starts right after tournament and he will essentially have no rest this summer. This combined with he'll have to play heavy minutes since his backup is a 37 yo Tyson Chandler. This is very bad for big men as we all know from past experiences. Some here may say Capela is overpaid but we all agree he's an integral part of our system.

If Capela goes down, we might actually see Dwight back on this team out of desperation (since I think Lakers will sign Noah) and Morey has burnt bridges with Faried.

This is not even considering we still don't have a proper PF and need more length on the wing. This season will say a lot about Tilman if things go wrong.

PhilCollins likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Maybe not breaking your leg in the middle of season will help bring back the old Capela.

biff17 likes this.
  8. biff17

biff17 Member

Some stats say otherwise, the ones you chose.

He increased his points, asst and rebounding avg.

You have yet to answer my question how many top ten rim protectors are asked to guard guys on the perimeter like Capela does?

I never said he was a great perimeter defender so stop that straw man.

9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Who cares? When he’s protecting the rim, he isn’t all that great. If I see his numbers skyrocket because he can just roam the paint, I’ll concede the point.

Counting stats are useless to determine improvement. His efficiency numbers suffered. This is a fact.

10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He broke his leg in 2016....

Do you mean the thumb? Cuz he wasn’t any different before or after the thumb.

11. biff17

biff17 Member

You should care, because you are the one using a statistic when players being are asked to do different things.

You don't know if he is all that great because you have never seen him playing that type of defense.

Counting stats don't tell the complete story but they certainly are not useless, so him improving his FT % does not show any efficiency improvement?w

What is the difference between his points per possession?

12. dmoneybangbang

I do. Could have sworn the leg was 2018 season. The splits say otherwise, but its nothing very significant (he scored more before the thumb but less efficiently).

13. dmoneybangbang

His efficiency numbers went down in some aspects with increasing his minutes ~20%.

He definitely was not as good defensively with the increased workload but its really not that much. Even with decreased efficiency, the advance stats show an improvement in offensive.

biff17 likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

But the advanced offensive metrics show overall offensive improvement. It seems like you are focusing on the minutia instead of the bigger picture.

Hopefully we can get '17 production from Clint, but when you increase your minutes by ~20% then there are consequences. In spite of that, the numbers show an overall improvement in offense but a step back in defense.

biff17 likes this.
  15. nomiz1987

nomiz1987 Member

capela isn't getting us a championship, when the post season starts his lobs are negated and offensively he becomes redundant. It doesn't matter how great his stats are, it's pretty noticeable his efficiency and points all drop when the defense tightens. And on defense during playoffs they keep switching him onto the perimeter, so much for rim protection. But defensively that's not really on him, MDA just doesn't adjust during playoffs

napalm06 likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Getting "high" is something I would save for the finest produce organic farms can uncork these days, if I rolled that way at my advanced age. In fact, the only person who might be able to get "high" while on Mr Capela would be his girlfriend, OP, if she's a cowgirl (in my humble opinion). However, I am highly optimistic that he's going to have a very good season.

One aspect of an improved season from Clint? He made real progress improving his percentage at the charity stripe last year, and if his incremental improvement there continues, it'll be a real plus for his effectiveness. With two world class passers tossing lobs, one taller and with more hops than the fellow we've been using at the point so often the last couple of seasons, not only do I think his lob opportunities will increase, but with more aggressiveness on his part slamming down those lobs at the hoop, and I think he'll be more aggressive this year overall around the basket, so will the number of fouls on him down low.

Chris never seemed to "connect" with Clint on lobs anywhere near as well as Harden does. Not sure why, whether it was Paul's height, or simply never developing the chemistry you'd think a future Hall of Famer at the one would be capable of with his center. It was weird. However, I see Russell as being more effective there this season, both with Capella and our new addition at the 5, Tyson Chandler. That would equal more free throws, shot at the higher percentage I expect to see there from Clint, equaling more points. That, and more lobs at a new target, TC, who has a career free throw average over 60%. Good enough.

It's science! So let's party!

[​IMG]

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

@biff17 and @dmoneybangbang

You guys desperately want to believe Capela got better in 18-19, don’t you? It’s weird. Nothing supports it. But believe what you want.

As a Rockets fan, I want to see Capela actually get better, not tweak the numbers to tell a false story

18. dmoneybangbang

Right back at ya.

You want to desperately believe Capela is worse than he is, remember your weird metric of "below average" vs "above average" based off like a 2% difference.

19. icewill36

icewill36 Member

now THIS i like to see. i dont think ive ever seen him move that quick off the dribble.

20. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

It’s def not an improvement - and average really depends on what other people are doing.

Waiting for your explanation for why 1.3 -> 1.1 ppp on rolls is also improvement