1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Future Legend PJ Tucker: “It’s time for my extension right now, so we’ll see."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Aug 21, 2019.

?

To extend or not to extend now?

1. Yes

67 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

https://theathletic.com/1143463/201...painful-than-the-ankle-injury-that-caused-it/

His contract is guaranteed @ $8.3m this coming season. The following season he's owed $7.9m but only $2.5m is guaranteed. Great value.

My 2nd favorite player on the roster, but I do not think we should extend. Let it play out. We are not going to regret losing him in 2 years at age 36, and we are not necessarily going to lose him if Tilman doesn't want to (we will have his bird rights).

If there were a way to fully guarantee his final season right now, I would do that. I believe that's better value than a partially expiring 35 year old and worth him being a bit more relaxed about his future earnings.

2. BigBum

BigBum Member

Yes.

Performance Rewards for the current 4 years contract.

Tucker will be still a top tier defender in the nba, but his speed will be indeed slow after 2021.

Ariza signed 3 years 40 million contracts after leaving Rockets.

Tucker 6 years $50 million sounds great to me. (32+18 = 50)

Ariza 3 years = 40M
    Tucker 3 years = 25M
    Paul 3 years = 124M
    Why not?
    Same age, the difference between Tucker and Paul is 99 million dollars!

#2 BigBum, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  3. PhiSlammaJamma

No way.

Role players don't make demands in this league. Let alone when he is what I think he is, which is a bench guy. He's old. He has major flaws. He's expendable. If he's lost nobody will even notice. And he's just not worth it. We should do what we did when Clutch the Bear asked for mo' money. Move his ass and replace him with another bear.

#3 PhiSlammaJamma, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Not a fan of paying for past performance.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I just posted this in the other thread...

"I just dont know about paying PJ...

I love the dude... admire his hustle and tenacity... defensive effort... how he does all the dirty work that doesnt necessarily show up on the stat sheet...

all that said... I'd like us to get bigger at the pf position... we need more rebounding and rim protection from that slot...

ideally I'd like to see PJ split time between pf and sf... bang with the bigs half the time and run with the sfs the rest... prob is PJ aint no spring chicken... idk if he's got it in the tank for a few more years...

I just dont know how much longer PJ can hold a starting position - and get starter money...

I would love to see PJ retire a Rocket 25mpg as the 6th/7th man for the next few years... but idk if thats realistic when lined up with his salary expectation..."

So idk about an extension - unless its at backup level - and i dont get the feeling thats the kinda money PJ is looking for...

I could see guaranteeing the last year... and maybe tacking on 1 more year at 8-12... but thats be the max I would go...

not looking to pay for past performance - but rather future production...

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

6 years? So u wanna be paying the man when he's 40? :rolleyes:

jsilencio, Highlyrated and topfive like this.
  7. BigBum

BigBum Member

At age 34, JJ Redick signed 1 year 23 million contract.

Tucker gets 4 years 32 million.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Why would you ever use a 1 year balloon payment contract as a reference point for how much someone should make?

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Whatever happen to the “poison pill deals”? Lin made that famous

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

How could you not see the other thread

Highlyrated likes this.
  11. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Then this team must've sucked last year, and will suck this year, because that old expendable flawed bench guy started all 82 games last year, and averaged 34.2 minutes in each of them. While putting up 7.3 and 5.8, with 1.2 assists and 1.6 steals per game, and shooting .396/.377/.695. EFG% of 53.5. Played all 82 the year before that too, with 27.8 minutes a game. Tucker is a giant part of what they do.

And the Rockets, so far, haven't seen fit to pick up a guy to replace him. Which is what you do with an expendable guy playing big minutes.. Hopefully Clark can make the leap.

I wouldn't give him an extension either. I want Fertitta to spend more to make the team better, not spend more to keep the team where it is. Not a fan of fully guaranteeing the final year either; 35 year old professional athletes are on borrowed time, regardless of their lack of prior injury history. Not a giant error if they do guarantee it though, as it's only for one year.

rocketchamp, Highlyrated and HP3 like this.
  12. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Relax buddy, you’re almost 40.

Highlyrated likes this.
  13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

He's going to be close to retiring after his contract is over because of his age.

Even if he can shoot corner 3s, defensive players will become a couple steps slow on defense as they get close to 40.

Extend if he's willing to take low salary, if not then play out his contract. We need another PJ/Ariza type player for the last couple years of Harden's prime anyways, we're bound to find a replacement sooner or later.

Highlyrated likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Sorry PJ....your contract is perfect for the Rockets just the way it is.

Eric Gordon is trade material because of his contract.

PJ extension can/will probably prevent obtaining a 3 rd star and financial flexibility.

Westbrook didn’t restructure his payments so that the Rockets can up the pay of Rockets currently on the team.

Highlyrated likes this.
  15. apatel123

apatel123 Member

Dare I say trade PJ for Iggy?

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Normally I wouldn't argue about this but …. Tucker and the 3 spot (he's a 3 playing 3-4-5) is a special case and you have to take into account "How do you replace him if you don't extend him when you are over the cap and likely in the tax" Nothing but the T-MLE and you aren't getting a whole lot of player for that.

I'd at least listen to what he is asking for before I dismissed it. If its some crazy number , no - but if its a reasonable figure for a guy who led the league in corner 3% and is one of the leagues best defenders 2-5 … I think you do it.

We are still looking for Ariza's replacement …. 2 years down the road , cant put yourself in a position where you are over the cap and looking to fill both 3 & 4 spots and don't have any financial ability to do so other than the MLE.

Cant be shopping the minimums and buyouts every year , expecting guys to outperform their contracts at key positions and expect to win it all.

Do we have any idea how much he's asking for ??

HP3 and Gray_Jay like this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nah. I’d rather develop Clark to maybe fill that roll for now

18. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Fully guarantee his 2021 salary and add one more year at a reasonable $ amount.

Getting PJ’s production for ~$10 MM a year is a steal. He is a true gamer and sets the tone defensively. And despite being 34, he hasn’t logged that many NBA minutes and is an iron man.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is tough, it is a matter of having him happy versus good business.

CP3 should have shown everyone how risky it is to extend older guys....

DD

20. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Its not tough. Rewarding past performance for old players is what bad Gms do. Its what cripples a franchise. PJ has 2 years left. Let him play out his contract, let him pout. What is he gonna do, threaten to retire? Not suit up this season?