1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ew, you really want Iggy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Aug 16, 2019.

?

Do you want Iggy still?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Yes

48.6%
  2. No

51.4%
  1. Reeko

Reeko Member

I know, and I’m taking into account the effort MJ is putting in on D while also producing on O

Is that not something u should take into account, especially if we’re talking about being the greatest scorer ever?

2. Nook

Nook Member

A lot of the time Michael Jordan wasn't guarding the toughest cover, that was Scottie Pippen..... Jordan was also surrounded by elite defenders.

At the end of the day it is all really subjective. I will just say that I haven't seen anyone do offensively what Harden did in over 30 years, since the first 5 years of Jordan.... even older Jordan didn't do that stuff.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's something you take into account when evaluating the player. When you evaluate the scorer, you're looking at the points he generates on offense.

4. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

No, cause that's not his argument. He is looking at a stat and telling you who is better at the stat. The why is not relevant to the fact.

5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly difference is MJ got superstar calls in playoffs and Harden doesn’t.

I don’t get why people are upset. Morey doesn’t say Harden is a better player, just a better offensive player. Which by numbers is true because he just did something no one in the history of the game ever did with pts and assists. And our offensive rating running a iso heavy offensive is top 5 all time.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m getting too many replies, so I’ll just leave it at this before I bounce out this thread

Do I think Harden since he’s been MVP caliber is a better scorer than MJ? No, I simply do not. He would have to be around his 18-19 level for a couple seasons at least before I’d even think to change my mind. He is up there during the regular season, but the postseason is where I see a clear difference.

lilbird20 likes this.
  7. Hardy Toll Road

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Agree with your whole post, and want to add to this part.

Another counter-argument example is, rather than Jordan, what if we put Magic Johnson on the Rockets, replacing Harden. Magic might very well create a higher Team ORtg once he touches the ball than Harden. But no one would say Magic is a better scorer.

The Magic counter-argument kills Morey’s argument because it puts his whole claim of which stat defines Best Scorer into question. It pulls the rug out from under his argument.

I dare Morey go on stage at his very own Sloan Conference and say Team ORtg once Player X touches the ball is the be all end all Stat of Best Scorer...and end with “It’s just factual”​

No, it’s not factual Morey, it’s embarrassing.​

HP3 likes this.
  9. Acura

Acura Member

No? You should take into account scoring when talking about the best scorer. And nothing else...

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Honestly I don't like Morey goofy ass either.. But he's good at what he does, which is swing for the fences...

11. Acura

Acura Member

Love to have iggy to help guard lebron/Kawhi/Paul George in the playoffs

12. macan

macan Member

i'd rather have kevin love than this bum

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

David West has gone on record about not believing *Nerd Ball.* He is very old school.

So not surprised he would mock King Nerd Morey.

A lot of players grew up idolizing Jordan, so they aren't going to take a contemporary and see them as someone that can touch their idol.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Love it. Love Daryl. Love James.

A championship or two and it gets real. This is the year boys.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It doesn’t matter if Harden is statistically better or not, people don’t want his name mentioned in the same sentence as Jordan. It’s awesome for James that as a scoring threat, he’s absolutely in the conversation.

Morey knows this and specifically makes these comments to rile up asshats like David West, who have no idea what Daryl is talking about but hears “Jordan” and thinks it’s laughable.

HP3 likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I love James but I'm not buying the better scorer argument. He needs to be the best scorer when it matters. Tough ...but you're in goat arguments

It's just a hedge for what he hasn't won, and it's not a hedge I can live with without hardware.

He'll still be the second best rocket without it but I won't say what Morty has said in a non Houston bar.

P.S. Iggy is a broke down Houston hater. They lived and breathed that for five years. A less douchey Derek Fisher as a person but just as annoying as a player.

#56 Invisible Fan, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    HP3 likes this.
  17. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

We're in the dog days of summer. Daryl knows this and takes advantage of how shows like First Take work these days.

Make this one of the main conversation topics for this week's news cycle, and since most sports personalities are contrarians, you'll get a fair share of them arguing on behalf of Harden (or at least conceding that Jordan v Harden on offense is a debate worth having)

DreamQuake likes this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

I think you went overboard here my man,Daryl has done all that he could to put this team in championship positions, lets not talk about him like he's continually put trash around Harden, its not true.

19. HP3

HP3 Member

Kareem played against much weaker competition, even relative to his own era. Just saying.

20. HP3

HP3 Member

I didnt really want to get into this, but the Jazz for games 3 and onward, were giving Harden ALOT and I mean ALOT of trouble. They were forcing him right the whole game into Gobert and it was working. You think somebody could do that to Lebron, or MJ. No, its not happening. Harden as a scorer, was amazing last season, but this is crazy. Harden is not better than MJ as a scorer.

lilbird20 likes this.