1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ew, you really want Iggy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Aug 16, 2019.

?

Do you want Iggy still?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Yes

48.6%
  2. No

51.4%
  1. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Yes, he’s definitely allowed to believe Jordan is a better scorer than Harden. But he needs to remember Houston is one of the few teams trying to rescue him from Memphis :mad:

2. htownballa1622

Never wanted him tbh

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't see how they're going to get his contract at this point. This more creates doubt to me that he would be willing to sign with the Rockets over LA teams.

And David West is a douche. Always has been.

bmd, D-rock, Deckard and 32 others like this.
  4. rocketseagles07

So because he doesn’t agree we should not want him? Typical clutch fans

majicdonjuan and Victorious like this.
  5. rocketseagles07

I’m willing to bet 99% of the league doesn’t agree....

Sajan and majicdonjuan like this.
  6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

D-rock, Lawlruschang, JVL713 and 14 others like this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Iggy is a b****.

Lawlruschang and da_juice like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

sure do. rockets still don't have anyone like him. would be a crucial piece to have come playoff time

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Bitter sweet.

They still won the championship. :(

Andre0087, topfive and justtxyank like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Morey really needs to stop it with this “James Harden is a better scorer than MJ” talk...seriously, just stop...

I love Harden, but this is ridiculous...have several seats Morey

maybe there’s an argument if u talk about regular season only...once the playoffs hit, Harden is still great, but nah son, he ain’t even a better scorer than Playoff Bron who also isn’t better than MJ

also, lol @ anyone who wouldn’t want Iggy because of his opinion on something like this...I don’t want to give up a 1st round pick for him, but we definitely need someone like him

msn, dkim1984, lilbird20 and 6 others like this.
  11. The Cat

They did, but doesn't change the fact that West was a clown for what he said. (He was talking specifically about the regular-season race for the No. 1 seed.)

D-rock, dkim1984 and TheRealAllpro like this.
  12. The Cat

"Maybe there's an argument?"

It's data.

Morey didn't say Harden was a better player than Jordan. He said Harden was a better scorer. And the numbers bear that out.

D-rock, Mr 1999, Possum and 5 others like this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

But he really said, Harden's team (including him) scores the most points after he touches the ball.

So, as @Reeko said, "maybe there's an argument" that that definition is the correct definition of best scorer, but it is Morey's definition of "best scorer" (which is basically team ORtg, on possessions he touches the ball) and certainly the formula (as simple as it is) is highly arguable as what makes a player a great scorer.

msn, REEKO_HTOWN, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

at some point, u have to stop putting 100% stock in data and use common sense before u start saying things like Harden is a better scorer than MJ...yeah, maybe there’s an argument if u talk about the regular season, but once the playoffs come, the difference is clear

I know he didn’t say Harden was a better player because that would’ve been even more ridiculous. So u would take Harden as a scorer over MJ?

now we are going to have Harden slander over all forms of social media from fans and dudes like West and Iggy because people aren’t going to let comments like that fly...I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a topic on these shows like Undisputed and 1st Take with even more Harden slander

15. JW86

JW86 Member

Harden shoots the 3 better, maybe FT shooter, but MJ is clearly the better more versatile scorer. Morey needs to stupid indeed with this nonsense. Iggy can still come, who cares about his opinion.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Harden also wouldn't agree himself.

DM is technically correct, but as has been pointed out, needs to just stop. Why? Because (1) playoffs count, and (2) it just points out how DM has failed Harden and the Rockets. Dwight Howard for a few years, then an old, declining, injury prone CP3. Dwight Howard is out of the league at 33 - and only played 9 games since he turned 32, and CP3 is what he is.

DM... do better.

The reason he needs to shut up isn't because he's technically wrong, it's because he does a poor job of explaining his position.

Like your comment. More versatile scorer doesn't matter. A guy who hits 50% from three, evening double coverage, and can create that himself, but can't do anything else offensively, is still a top all time scorer.

#16 JayZ750, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  17. The Cat

Who. Cares.

I think Morey is at a point where he doesn't care about the noise, and good for him. I'm guessing it'll make the players in the locker room like Daryl even more because they feel like he'll have their back, even when it's not easy to do so. If Stephen A. and Skip want to scream things, let them -- they'd probably find a reason to do it anyway, and it doesn't mean a thing in terms of what Houston's goals are.

D-rock, Mr 1999, Possum and 8 others like this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He's technically correct at *his* definition, but Team Scoring once a player touches the ball is not what everyone has to use as Best Scorer stat, just because Morey says so. That is the definition Morey is using.
    • ,,,basically, Morey said the Rockets ORtg once Harden touches the ball is better than any other Team ORtg once a given player touches the ball.
    • come on...it is Highly arguable that that is a proper definition of best scorer.
    It's easy to think that Morey's word wrt Stat definitons is Gold...but this isn't Gold. This is *not* a definitive stat on who is the best scorer.

19. The Cat

I understand, but to dismiss it as "ridiculous" or "maybe there's an argument..." is way overstating it.

Can you push back? Sure, and I thought Daryl appropriately noted one valid counter-argument on the podcast. But there's definitely a strong data-based case for the point he was making.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think he needs to stop too but mainly because no one will ever agree.

The cult of Jordan is real, he's the best player ever and his cult will never allow anyone to say someone is better than him at anything.

Jordan was definitely the most impactful player though but he doesn't have the most MVPs, most championships, or even historically leads the NBA in any stat. I think metric wise Kareem actually has the best argument to being the best ever but many Jordan cultists will give no ground to anyone. But Kareem leads the NBA in points, MVP awards, and won just as many championships as Jordan but you'll have people put Lebron over him...but Jordan was the first true global superstar of the NBA really. Larry and Magic were national stars to be sure but Jordan became a global brand and took the league with him, most impactful player hands down.

But I agree that Morey should probably sit out on these kind of conversations or at least not compare Harden to Michael Jordan...like say best scorer today or something, leave the legends with championships out of it because people won't hear it.