1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BBall Breakdown video-Why Jeremy Lin is out of the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Aug 7, 2019.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

This can't be said enough.

Forget about all the basketball analysis Coach Nick and the rest of us have made in this thread for minute, just look at Lin's absolute lack of situational awareness in the media.

Lin leaves New York with rumblings in the media about clashes with Melo. First time complaining so no big deal. Everyone gives him benefit of the doubt. After all, he's Linsanity at this point. However, this is the start of a pattern of behavior.

He arrives in Houston with much fanfare and a lot of hype, but days before the season start, Morey trades for Harden. As Coach Nick points out, instantly the team now belongs to Harden. Next offseason, Rockets add Howard and soon Lin loses his starting job to Beverly and is pushed to backup.

Then, Lin has his infamous low basketball IQ blunder against the Blazers and he deflects all responsibility in the media. In the offseason, drama continues when Lin sabotages the Rockets chance of landing Melo with his "turn the other cheek" tweet.

GMs around the league quietly make a mental note of Lin's media handlings. Morey is fuming so he unloads Lin to the Lakers at the cost of a first-round pick. Then, we hear more rumblings in the media from Lin about Harden and what he said to Lin after the Portland series.

In Los Angeles, the drama continues with Kobe. The Black Mamba doesn't take crap from no one so Lin is let go in the offseason.

This overall pattern of whining, complaining, and low-key backbiting other superstars gained Lin a certain reputation among NBA front offices. As others have pointed out in this thread, this reputation is also another key reason why nobody wants to take a chance on him anymore.

da_juice, tinman and Zboy like this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

LOL BURN

tinman likes this.
  3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

what did hardon say to him after portlaand series

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pass the ball to the team that says Rockets next time

vlaurelio, ghettocheeze and Zboy like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel so embarrassed for God
    He let Lin become super rich when God let him play well for three weeks
    The he keeps bothering God every time he sucks

clutchdabear and payaso like this.
  6. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

The video said "Lin is more than a capable NBA point guard". I agree with it. If you think the video is well done, then you would agree as well. The video did a great job of showing that despite not being in systems best suited to his skillset, that Lin was able to play well. At no point in the video did Coach Nick say "Lin sucked" or "Lin played poorly". He said "Here is an example where the lane is clogged but Lin was able to make a play anyways" and "with such poor spacing, it's no wonder Lin's shooting suffered". The idea that Coach Nick said anything to the effect that Lin was not a good player is simply based in a hater's view.

7. yoeddy

I'm not going to go point-by-point thru this because it appears that your mind is already made up. But I will say that while this video is meant to demonstrate why no NBA team has signed Lin, the conclusion it reaches is that there is actually no good reason why Lin is unsigned "...while other players like Corey Joseph, TJ McConnell, and Isiah Thomas all found roster spots". Should I assume that you didn't actually watch the video?

8. yoeddy

It depends on what you sign him for. I agree that if teams are looking for a starting PG, Lin at this point should not be on their list. But for a backup PG or even a 3rd or 4th guard role, he is clearly qualified for that.

If Lin is looking for a starting role, then I agree that it's unrealistic. But if he's looking for a role that has him playing more than 12+ minutes a game with an opportunity for more, I think that's perfectly within reach and reasonable.

9. Acura

Acura Member

Ok so if I’m looking for a 4th guard to round out my roster am I looking for a guy that cries to the media every few weeks about bullying/playing time etc or am I looking for a young hungry guy that is looking for his shot? I know who I’m going with...

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Video needs to be longer with additional breakdown and analysis -- difficult to form an opinion with limited information.

vlaurelio, yoeddy and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking

12. yoeddy

tinman can tell you that I've already posted about Lin's crying (pretty much the day after the video surfaced), saying that it was not a good look and probably the nail in the coffin for his NBA career. No question in my mind that GMs would look at that negatively. But that's not what I've been talking about here. My point has been that if you strip away all of the drama, Lin has proven himself over the course of his entire career to be a quality NBA player, and any of the talk about him not being a quality NBA player with the Knicks, Rockets, Lakers, Hornets, Nets and Hawks is simply just wrong. Yes, some of the systems that he played in were not a great fit and some of the teams he played on were not very good as Coach Nick pointed out in the video. But that doesn't take away from Lin's ability as an NBA player.

13. yoeddy

How is pointing to his entire career "cherry picking"? Seems more like picking a couple of plays during the Portland series is more cherry picking than looking at his whole career.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can’t win a ring with Lin as a primary ball handler, and he is too poor off ball to play next to a playmaker.

He could have really been a player If he could have figured out his three-pointer.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

It is funny to watch him cry about NBA giving up on him when in fact multiple teams have given him chances.

However, teams quickly figure out that he is limited player and within a year or two look to off-load him.

Cant handle pressure on the court and then cries to the media and his fans off the court.

If anyone needed to see a sport psychologist, this mental midget was it.

tinman likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He isn't that good of a bench player. Period.

At this point, nobody wants him as a sure starter.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

water is wet

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

And in the category of "NBA Dish" Post of the Year, the nominees include...

Ouch

tinman likes this.
  19. yoeddy

You are blaming Lin for the Rockets not landing Melo? Seriously? There was pretty much a guarantee that if Melo signed with the Rockets that Lin would be traded or dumped. How does Lin's tweet have ANYTHING to do with Melo deciding not to come to the Rockets??

20. Acura

Acura Member

Ya that’s pretty savage. I pooped a tad laughing.