1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cheap Tilman catches another break...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hardy Toll Road, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I’m pretty weary of these ‘cheap Tilman’ threads. Most of his detractors are 8-5 salaried middle class who have never had to think of business dealings outside of buying a car or home (which they get robbed on).

Fertitta is a self-made billionaire in entertainment. You don’t get there by being cheap. You get there by being smart with your money. You get there by making the right moves.

Just stop with the cheap owner ****.

2. smp

smp Member

Tilman's next book: "How to Trick Fans Into Believing You Will Do Whatever it Takes".

EG isn't falling for that ****. He knows what's up and that's why he pointed to the Astros. Jim Crane told the fans exactly what the plan was. Suck for several years, gather up some picks, go on a run. There's not a bunch of BS talk. He speaks with action.

Tilman should read Crane's book. "How to Pull Together Investors So You Aren't Cash Poor and Build a Champion Without Being an Egotistical *******".

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I wonder if the other owners ghost Tilman when he calls because of his ruthless penny pinching? It must be weird for owners when, for example they go out for lunch and of course Tillman causes a scene after eating his whole meal and refuses to pay for it because the “service was bad” and after he leaves they have to come back in and apologize to the staff, pay for his meal and give them all good tips for dealing with his awfulness.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Enjoyed this perspective.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Acura

Acura Member

It’s similar to someone calling a pro athlete a bum. I mean ya it doesn’t make sense but it is what it is. Really a non issue.

6. Hardy Toll Road

EZ

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He's having growing pains with being a tireless self promoter across a Nationwide brand vs dealing with one large organization whose business is to cultivate and grow devoted customers who pick apart your every decision.

He needs to learn that whatever he says isn't gold and needs to be more careful about meaning it rather than upholding some bigger image no one here gives **** about.

Talk about wins.

What you're doing to get there.

The steps you will make have taken to make Prime Harden Historic. (Twitter mgmt does NOT count)

If I was a mutli millionaire industrialist, I wouldn't be posting here...

...Id only be trolling at the d&d

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

@Fern t***

J.R. likes this.
  9. smp

smp Member

You are the one comparing the owner to an 8-5 middle class guy! That says it all right there.

I'm comparing him to the best billionaire owners. That's how he portrays himself. If he's not at the same level as them then he should shut up about spending and his planes, etc.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Uhh... what? Logic card revoked.

11. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Damn straight.

He is bottom Barrell of owner. Next to Dolan and the sun's owner.

Only Dolan is worst owner and he spends money but has a big mouth. Tilman has big mouth and has cash flow problem

12. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

How many burner accounts does Fertitta have?

You say that like Fertitta’s desire to maximize the financial return on his investment is the same thing as maximizing the championship possibilities of the team. Those aren’t the same things and we on the board tend to care more about the later.

Gray_Jay, J Sizzle and GermanRoxFan like this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

For the record I don’t think Tilman is cheap, but I just want to be really clear about your position. Are you really being so cool and contrarian that you are prepared to say that no sports owner who is rich acts cheap with their sports team?

J Sizzle and Acura like this.
  14. smp

smp Member

Haha. Sorry you are too dense to follow logic. Revoke your own damn card. Mine is beyond your access level.

15. Acura

Acura Member

He is failing to realize that when a fan calls an owner cheap it’s obv relative to his financial status

J Sizzle likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree with all of that but that doesn't mean he can't be cheap when it comes to the Rockets compared to the real big spender.

I guess his problem is not that he doesn't pay.

He is willing to pay stars like Wbrook and Harden but isn' willing to pay for picks or go over the tax for elite role players.

I think the Rockets need someone who isn't relying on making a profit.

A Multi billionaire would do that can take a couple of big financial losses without complaining/taking measures against going over the tax.

#136 daywalker02, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I love people whining about an owner who is paying Westbrook, Harden, Capela and others and has a legitimate title contender as being "cheap." The Rockets are literally capped out and people are b****ing and moaning about Tillman being cheap.

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

How is he supposed to do that when the Rockets ARE OVER THE CAP. He can be a trillionaire he can't pay over the damn cap how hard is that for people to understand.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is either you trolling or willful ignorance.

Everyone who has expressed concern about Tilman's spending has been very clear about what they are concerned about.

We have depth issues right now and have more than $5million in unspent MLE dollars that could have been used to sign any number of players who went for less than that.

D-rock, Gray_Jay, Der Rabbi and 2 others like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

harold bingo and justtxyank like this.