1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cheap Tilman catches another break...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hardy Toll Road, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Acura

Acura Member

Yes I agree with this

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Never forget.

Yeah, I'm biased. Yeah, you hate Tilman. Why can't he just be congratulating the Astros without it also being a shot at Tilman, yeah, yeah, yeah.

But that was a shot at Tilman from one of his current players.
    He didn't mention the GM Jeff Luhnow. It was the owner. "Just gets **** done."
    No accidents, no flukes, no "Well, we were close on a few deals but obviously nothing came of it." or "Well, we had something lined up but it fell through."
    "These guys do whatever it takes to win it all. They just get **** done."

"Whatever it takes."
    [​IMG]

Tilman Fertitta determined to do "whatever it takes" to improve Rockets
    Tilman Fertitta determined to do ‘whatever it takes’ to improve Rockets

D-rock, Deuce, hajkov and 6 others like this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6 Proven playoff performers is a whole lot. Especially when 2 of the 6 have some of the highest playoff +-'s of all time. When Clutch City went into the year with Horry and Cassell, we probably had 4, MAYBE 5 guaranteed playoff performers on the roster. Sammy and Bob stepped up, and we need to give House the chance to do the same before you break the bank with mediocre scrubs that are not definitive playoff performers, moving House out to pasture like a real douche.

(Notes)
    Shump - Proven commodity and who can give 15 championship minutes as an 7th/8th man. Excellent shooter/defender in the playoffs for his entire career.
    Tyson - Absolutely, 100% playable in the playoffs.
    10. Gerald Green (Let's not forget that Gerald Green had some great, great moments in the 2018 run.)

After the top 6,

we have Danuel House, Gerald Green, Tyson Chandler and hopefully Iman Shumpert with a full training camp. I personally love that 7-10.

Denovo and roslolian like this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There is zero reason to think we will have Shumpert. Zero.
    Chandler is playable if he's healthy. He's like Nene. Maybe he's there, maybe he's not.
    Green is a guy they play by necessity. The coach loves him but doesn't want to play him in the playoffs because he can't defend.

That doesn't even get into the fact that this group of playable players doesn't check every box. It's not like that six runs the spectrum of roles, we have a big gap.

Acura, Denovo and Gray_Jay like this.
  5. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Zero? How about the fact that we have the rights to match any contract he is offered? Still zero? Shump is still a FA right? Holic’ism? o_O

We check all the (imaginary) boxes for Mike D’Antoni’s system, with the exception of the 6-9, athletic wing that can shoot, that nearly every team in the NBA wishes they had.

What we do have is two MVP’s, and some VERY nice interchangeable guards/wings that can all play 4 out, 1 in with Clint & Tyson, and Westbrook might singlehandedly cure our rebounding woes of last year.

But back to the point, why do we have a zero percent chance of re-signing Shump? Seems a very odd thing to say.

roslolian likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

What boxes aren’t being checked?

Who is making these boxes?

What If we check different boxes that make other boxes not as necessary?

Basketball is not binary...

7. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Lol what sources you have for Green? You jeep keep saying plenty of evidence for other players but who are you naming? Sure Rivers did the Rockets a favor but if he didn’t like being there he surely would have left and made more money too...

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

are you not reading? i specifically said i pray we don't find out they went cheap with him. the rockets already tried to acquire him once. its not like there wasn't interest there to begin with and he ended up signing for less than mle. Did FA just not begin like a month ago? Were there not a long list of names that either signed or moved somewhere else? Were morey, mda, and co. not in LA meeting with FA's when it opened? do you need a list of all those names. seriously, try opening your eyes a bit and think a little. or wait is it the none of those players are worth tax so tilman is ok logic

#108 YOLO, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Gray_Jay likes this.
  9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I went to UCLA and went to every home game Westbrook played in. My boss at the time was a huge UCLA booster so also invited me to some of the practices Howland rain and the special dinners they had for boosters at the time.

Westbrook did everything asked of him there, he wasnt a heavily recruited player out of high school he was going to go to Creighton I believe until Howland was able to free up a scholarship slot.

Westbrook is a much differently player today than he was then (DPOY in the PAC-10 - no where near defensive awards today) but he is willing to sacrifice if he buys in. He bought in with Howland...i am of that he has had really shitty coaches in the NBA, we will see if he will buy in with D'Antoni and Harden. So far it seems he will

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well I'm def not in favor of this, the more frontloaded his contract is the better cuz that means he has less salary as he ages. Purely a $$$ move by Tillman.

Acura likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That Danuel House fiasco prob cost us seeding among other things...

Gifting away FRP is pretty much unjustified from a winning/future standpoint

Little Bit and kjayp like this.
  12. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Rules that apply to the players don't apply to the owners. Cuban has been coming to his games dressed like a toddler that would see him fined for breaking the old player dress requirements for years.

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Not paying Ariza... obviously could have been signed and traded even...
    Not willing to pony up for Iggy...
    Spending draft picks to get under the LT... and getting rid of contracts which would be expiring and could be used as an asset now...

These are all probably wise moves financially... I got no problem with those moves - I understand its a business...

but dont say things like "whatever it takes..." - bc obviously its not an 'at any costs' scenario...

its remarks such as these that are getting him static as he likes to run his mouth and people are taking him literally...

...jus sayin...

#113 kjayp, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Gray_Jay and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we almost assuredly do resign Shump. What we do with him after that is another matter.

Personally, I want to see him log 26-28 minutes/game for us.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

For consistency, Tilfart's writing a follow up book titled "Practice What You Preach!"

kjayp and Easy like this.
  16. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

When we get eliminated next playoffs, I hope people do not forget how Tilman try his best to avoid luxury tax.

Do not blame James Harden or RW.

17. TilmanFinancialWindfall

You is right

Blame LTS. Blame Canada. Blame cash me out flow problem Tilman aka Chapter 11 junk bond status owner

18. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

If we had paid luxury tax to sign Ariza last season, we could have been the championship now.

You won’t any longer get that good opportunity.

19. Acura

Acura Member

What in the world

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If that's happening, Iman is healthy... playing great D and sticking the 3.
    He was never 100% last year...not enough time to get all the way back.
    Shump becomes our three in crunch time or gets dealt.