1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[IDIOT] Whose NBA career is better? Shaquille O'Neal vs. Hakeem Olajuwon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jake Tower, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Hardy Toll Road

Shaq had a better career but I will always love Hakeem more.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Was he? In what way? If you mean physically imposing, ok...but that's not usually what 'dominant' means in NBA terms.

I think when comparing their careers the two are pretty equal. Shaq had more rings, but as other have indicated, he had more stars around him, too.

I think many here have missed the actual question. It wasn't 'who was the best player'. It was 'who had the best career'. I think Hakeem overall was definitely a better player than Shaq, but I think their careers were pretty equal, all things considered.

clutchdabear likes this.
  3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Love the quote, and glad Hakeem got mentioned, but you know Jordan just probably couldn't bring himself to say 'Wilt'.

Apparently when they and all the other greats got together for the 50 greatest NBA players presentation, at dinner Wilt and Mike were going at each other about who was the GOAT. Stern tried to get them to stop, but apparently to no avail. As they were leaving dinner, Wilt look down at Mike and got the last word in (as I guess he always did), and said 'Mike, throughout your career, they changed lots of rules to make it easier for you. Throughout my career, they changed lots of rules just to make it harder for me." Mike apparently had no comeback for that. But you know that would also just gall Mike to no end, and he'd never own up and say he'd have like to have Wilt for a teammate.

Hakeem was considered the only active player who could ever get a quintuple double. Wilt actually did it (he had a stat line of 53 points 32 rebounds 16 assists 24 blocks and 11 steals, which are pretty incredible individual stats: 24 blocks? ???). As much as I loved Hakeem, and loved watching him play...Wilt was better. The only other elite center who was more athletic than he was, in addition to being bigger and stronger.

#24 BigDog63, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    don grahamleone, csj and Gray_Jay like this.
  4. jayfree

jayfree Member

If it was even... tie goes to whoever beat the other in the Finals ;)

topfive likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Shaq won more ships, Hakeem is the more gifted and much more versatile player to me.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets fans care about Rockets championships
    Not a player who keeps hopping to better situations For championships for his own glory

Dream wanted glory for the city of Houston

That’s Pure

@Os Trigonum

Pure is life

cml750 likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.purityicecream.com/

8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

It helped Shaq that he was playing with Kobe which meant teams could not be as aggressive in stopping him as they could vs hakeem

lockedin34 likes this.
  9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Yes but how many of those championships did Shaq with where he was carrying the team all by himself. By my count I think that number is 1.

10. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

By dominant I mean physically, yeah. Shaq overpowered everyone. Hakeem used his skill to be the best. But yeah I agree that their careers were pretty close

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

and Dwyane Wade and Penny Hardaway.

12. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Shaq was a dominate in the paint and could lower his shoulder and dunk on anyone if the refs let him get away with it. The league allowed what many thought were offensive fouls, because he such a freakish athlete. He had to be marketed so he was able to get away with what other big men could not.

Shaq had a brilliant career but too many weaknesses to even be compared with Dream. He couldn’t shoot from from more than 4-5 from the basket, couldn’t shoot free throws, didn’t defend well, average rebounder for his size.

Dream had no weakness on either end.

I remember the media hyping Orlando and Shaq before the Rockets 95 finals. They were the young explosive team with 2 young superstars surrounded by elite shooting, speed athleticism etc. They were supposed to be a dynasty. Kind of like the Warriors. They were stacked with several all stars/superstars.

Our 2 stars were too old and our role players did not seem to be on the same level of the vaunted Magic. It was supposed to be Hakeem handing the torch to the young megafreak(Shaq), as he was taking over as the leagues new premier big man. The fans and media predicted a slaughter.

Everyone knows how that ended. Shaq couldn’t do anything with the much older Dream, we sweep, Dream wins finals mvp.

I get that article was referring to best “career” which I guess is debatable. But I know what I saw. I know why Horry, who played with and won rings with Dream, Duncan and Shaq says it’s not even close as to who was better. MJ doesn’t like giving anyone props but he had to with Dream.

If the debate is better overall player, then this isn’t even a contest.

cml750 and jch1911 like this.
  13. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I know the question is about career, but I think 95 finals says it all.

Head to head for the ship and the good guys came out on top!

BaselineFade likes this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody created a pure sports fans site because of Shaq

Patience and BaselineFade like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Dream would still be dominant In this era

Shaq would be treated like a glorified Roy Hibbert in today's pace and space stat geek NBA.

I guess I'd pay money as an opposing fan to watch his gut wrenching baby hook....

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

The author counts Shaq's presence on "Inside the NBA" as a positive.

That disqualifies everything else the dude has ever written.

#37 topfive, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    CCity Zero, cml750, Patience and 2 others like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah Shaq clearly had the better career he has been to more finals and won rings both in the East and in the West. Just cause Shaq had more stars doesnt magically remove his rings lol, KD still had a better career than Tmac even if he played with 5 allstars. By this argument Dirk is better than MJ since he won with 0 allstar teamates whereas MJ always had Pippen for all 6 of his rings.

Hakeem did more with less considering what happened to his teammates, but Shaq still had the better career as he had been racking up deep playoff appearances since his first stint in Orlando. He also got the NBA to implement the 3 sec rule because he was so dominant, thats the cherry on his career cuz few people can claim they got the entire league to implement a rule just so he wouldnt crush everyone else.

#38 roslolian, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  18. HROZ

HROZ Member

Shaq had the better career.

4 ships to 2

If Management had done their job maybe Hakeem would've. But they forced him to win a 'ship with Kenny Smith not Anfernee Hardaway / Kobe Bryant / Dwayne Wade.

Tbh Shaq / Hakeem have similar careers except for management.

Both had stellar rookie years and came out the gate strong. They formed a combo with another high pick (Sampson/Hardaway) and made their NBA finals the 2nd year as a duo.

Unfortunately both their robins got injured.

In their prime Hakeem won 2 'ships
    Shaq won 3 'ships

But Hakeem had Kenny Smith / Shaq had Kobe.
    Then when they were both having a last run at a 'ship.

Hakeem got a broken down Charles Barkley while Shaq got a young Wade going into his prime.
    Hakeem made the conf finals as the main Banana
    Shaq won a 'ship as the 2nd Banana.

19. magichat281

magichat281 Member

BaselineFade and jch1911 like this.