1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Vaccines

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lurch, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I know this can be a sensitive subject for some, but what are you guys’ feelings on the whole vaccine dilemma?

Several more states are trying to push mandatory vaccines similar to California laws while Texas recently went in the opposite direction and made it easier to receive full exemptions.

As more studies are released, the more it seems like people are avoiding vaccines all together. I know people believe that this is “bad science” and a scam, but what are your thoughts?

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I have a friend with a genetic disorder where she basically has no immune system. Her health is fragile enough where if you got a minor cold, it could be enough to get her sent to the ICU if passed along to her. The lack of vaccinations like this not only hurt the children who aren't vaccinated but people with lowered or non-existent immune systems like her.

My oldest sister for example has psoriasis and takes immuno-suppressants like Enbrel. This lowers her immune system and makes her susceptible to other auto-immune disorders but again even minor illnesses like the common cold. Wish people weren't so stupid nowadays.

Freedom of expression shouldn't have a negative impact on society around us. The fact that Texas is already among the worst in healthcare treatment and availability is concerning enough. Not mandating vaccinations seems like a good way to start up an infectious disease epidemic in a ISD or other communal setting. And knowing two people personally who already have compromised immune systems, it sucks knowing there's little bastards roaming around unvaccinated because their parent(s) are too dumb.

Deckard, Sajan, durvasa and 6 others like this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't perceive a dilemma, OP. Vaccinations are now taken for granted by people, but they are part of a scientific and medical revolution that greatly expanded human lifespans (basically doubling them in half a century) and reduced childhood mortality for the whole population.

There's just zero legit science supporting the opposition view, and examples like the one @London'sBurning gives are legion. Not getting ones' kids vaccinated is equivalent to saying "I have the right to yell 'fire!' in a crowded theater b/c freedom." No, those acts can get people killed. This is not a conspiracy of drug companies, etc, etc. It's just something that became so accepted that a lot of people can take it for granted, like indoor plumbing. I mean... I guess we could have a movement where people reject toilets and just start pooping in their yards again. That too would cause some problems.

A brainy 10-yr-old I know told me a joke the other day.
    "What do you call a 2-yr-old temper tantrum for an unvaccinated kid? ... A midlife crisis." :(

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I also have no problem using the power of the state to force people to get vaccinations they don't want.

Jayzers_100, Rashmon, malakas and 6 others like this.
  5. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

dumb dumb dumb.

Anyone who gets medical advice from social media likes and retweets shouldn't be procreating.

Sajan likes this.
  6. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...my thoughts are this is bad science and a scam.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What's my feeling?

Well, if I trust feelings, the perceived danger of Vaccines (oh and there are plenty to zoom in and get all fearful) is going to make me think twice about vaccines.

If I trust Science, I'll take vaccines like candy (of course not, shots aren't too fun).

Unfortunately for the world, feelings >>> logic or science. Fortunate for world, the fear of un-vaccinated is still much greater than the fear of vaccination... for now.

Lurch likes this.
  8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

It's not vaccines. The increasing number of kids with physical/mental issues is due to the growing number of women having children later in life.

da_juice and pgabriel like this.
  9. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Anyone been in a situation where you can't be around the family of a close family member because their kids aren't vaccinated and you need to protect your own?

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

My wife's brother's brother-in-law is an anti-vaxxer. I'm keeping my baby girl away from that family. Not super close, but I've seen them once a year or so. Even worse is he's an MD.

11. Nook

Nook Member

People that do not vaccinate their children need to be forced to do so.

Rashmon, dmoneybangbang and malakas like this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think its more about having the first child later in life. Some might be surprised you came with this take given other views you have expressed on other subjects. I think that was the issue with Jenny McCarthy's son and she blamed vaccines.

This is the issue, the government or any health agencies really haven't really pushed this about women waiting later to have children and sometimes i wonder are they being sensitive towards women who bave autistic kids in this circumstance. I heard something about the age issue when McCarthy was in the news then never heard about it again

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Vaccines should be mandatory.

Deckard, Rashmon, jsingles and 2 others like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Perhaps we can do testing on those not vaccinated.

15. JumpMan

Yeah, imagine it being your brother and his wife. I also have a cousin who has made the same choice.

What's strange about this is that educated (college degrees) parents are more likely to choose not to vaccinate. But MDs are about as likely to vaccinate as non-educated parents and they usually vaccinate on schedule.

It does look like this is a woman's/mother's issue more than a man's/father's issue. Women are the one's choosing to have kids later in life and, at least in the cases I'm involved in and in the public push, they are the one's pushing it more so than the fathers.

16. JuanValdez

My kids are vaccinated, so I don't worry about us catching something from an anti-vaxxer. The concern is more for situations like @London'sBurning describes -- people who have medical conditions that leave them vulnerable.

I get the personal liberty concern. Pro-choice advocates should be especially sensitive to arguments about being able to choose what to do with your own body. I guess I'm not as big on personal freedoms as some people (I can already hear the amens from one corner of the room), and I think sometimes we should ask people to sacrifice for the greater good.

I'm not a fan of outright requiring them. But, I do like the approach of schools and other institutions requiring it as a condition of participating.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

Nook likes this.
  18. JumpMan

I have a baby and a toddler. From what I've been told, the baby should not be around an unvaccinated child until she has received the measles vaccine. And even after it is still a risk.

I agree with you that parents could do what they want, but they need to understand the science and accept that society could and should reject them.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. JuanValdez

I remember those days. I have to be honest, I was never one of those parents who worried about the kids catching some illness. I'd roll my eyes at the parents who wanted people to wash their hands before picking up their baby. And my attitude wasn't really rational because babies really are more vulnerable. But, I got away with it without any fatalities.

Separate vaccination story. About 20 years ago, I got a puppy and I was very careful to not take the puppy to the dog park until she was old enough to get her vaccines. Then, she got her vaccines and I started taking her to the dog park. She got parvo and died. It sucked, but there are no guarantees in life.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There are not more "studies" being released that support skipping vaccines. In fact, it's the opposite. There was yet another expansive study done that was peer reviewed that showed no link between vaccines and autism or other issues. Anti-vaxxers releasing new compilations of anecdotes does not equal "more studies" being released.

Deckard, Nook, jsingles and 2 others like this.