1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Last Melo Thread? Melo comments on his departure from HOU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 2, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Edit:
    Adding more clips from @J.R.

#1 justtxyank, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. xaos

xaos Member

I don't feel bad for him at all. It's not like when we let him go teams we're salivating at the thought of adding him. He has had his career the way he decided to play his career.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

LOL melo needed the season to start to figure out what he needed to do. :rolleyes: You mean adjust your selfish attitude thats been a problem for several years. youre not as good as you think you are anymore. thats been obvious. yeah the rockets have tried to get you for 3 or 4 years. they got you 3 or 4 years too late

SWTsig, rocketexastros, Reeko and 5 others like this.
  4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Nobody wants you anymore bro. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Kornel87, izeroi, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  5. justtxyank

I'm going to defend Melo.

First, I am not a Melo fan and did NOT want him on this team because I didn't think it would work.

However the reason it didn't work is NOT attitude. He played the Rockets system for the most part. Yes, he took a few midrange jumpshots, but he too 53% of his shots from 3 and tried switching on defense and playing stretch 4. By all accounts he was good in the locker room as well.

It didn't work because he didn't play well, end of story..

He was terrible on defense, terrible from 3 and terrible on the boards. It wasn't an attitude problem, he just wasn't good enough and the Rockets didn't think it made sense to let him sit on the bench in street clothes every night and become the focal point.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The reason Melo didn't work is because he's a terrible defender, he can still score, he can still probably drop 12-15 ppg tbh and he can still get hot as we've saw...but it's everything else that's an issue.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also just telling that waaaay back then Lebron was telling him to take a 3 year deal in Denver so that they can team up in Miami lol.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I was for cutting melo but I agree on defending him too. This is on Daryl, who is a dumbass that’s never played organized basketball.

Melo was never going to fit. He wasn’t going to fit years before when melo was good and morey was making murals and he wasn’t going to fit last season. Everybody knew this. Durl likes to go after big names with a complete disregard for chemistry. I’m just so glad he didn’t succeed in giving up picks/large salary for him earlier on

D-rock, kjayp and J.R. like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh i remember very well who were the main ones who questioned the acquisition, dont worry haha. and the majority of the board didn't.

I guess what i meant to say was his attitude in terms of what he has shown in terms of "who me" even in his down side of his career. he mentioned hou wanting to get him for years and that hes this missing piece. its not like he tried to adjust his game in other areas to find a way to fit. from the beginning of the summer, it was the attitude of this fit wouldn't be a problem etc. then the season starts and all of a sudden he has to ask questions and be like I'm lost here o_O. that beach vacation time sure was used wisely

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

This.

Daryl chased this loser for years.

kjayp and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

NBA career, even successful ones, rarely end under happy story-book circumstances-- whether you are Melo or Jeremy Lin.

Even all-time greats try to hang on for longer than their bodies allow.

[​IMG]

14. HP3

HP3 Member

I don’t think James knew anything about it, but I also don’t think James cared enough to keep him. Not that James is wrong but Daryl.... idk man like I’m starting to wonder how many times he does lie. The decision to cut him isn’t at all how it was reported by us.

I thought we were gonna keep Melo but Gary was gonna cut into his minutes(but that never happens either). In the end Melo wasn’t good enough but he was a professional which I respect,

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Goodnight sweet prince -- flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

Don't think it was a Morey decision. I think it was a condition of Jeff returning.

17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

“Your services are no longer needed” - Morey and also every other GM in the league

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So basically after 10 games he wanted to complain to Morey about his role but Morey just said "nah actually we don't need you around."

That's what I had assumed went down. Things were going poorly. Melo thought he needed a bigger role. Team thought Melo was a contributing factor to poor start. So, Melo cut loose.

D-rock, Stormy1234, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  19. justtxyank

I get it and you know I've questioned that attitude lol, but I think he did adjust his game. The problem was/is he just isn't good at what people want him to be. He can't defend well one on one and he doesn't have good lateral quickness to switch on the perimeter. So he's abused in on defense. He's also not a good rim protector nor can he rebound at a level appropriate for a "big". So he's a total negative on defense. The hope was that he was an elite shooter. There was a lot of talk about all of his metrics showing he could be an absolute elite shooter. He didn't show that here. He struggled from 3 big time. You could survive if the defense didn't fall apart entirely with him on the court, but it did.

Nothing worked with him on the court, but I still say it wasn't about his attitude.

I just have no criticism of Carmelo here. I don't blame him and by all accounts he did nothing to disrupt the team. He can't help that he's just not good enough.

I DO have criticism for the front office for being Melobsessed for so long and being convinced they could turn him into this elite stretch 4/ultimate weapon. I don't get why they believed that, I really don't.

I'll also accept that it's fair to criticize why 10 games was enough of a sample to make this move, and I'll also accept it as fair criticism that they sat on him for so long instead of letting him go. The luxury tax avoidance strategy made him waste around for a long time. If they had just cut him he may have had a chance to latch on somewhere else.

D-rock, kjayp, Invisible Fan and 3 others like this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Selfish people don't know they're selfish. Superficial people don't know they're superficial. Everyone rationalizes their principles into something positive.

He doesn't like the way they said it, but this is not an HR process. It's real life and honestly the rockets handled this situation with incredible sensitivity. He's just an insecure dude and the world he lives in doesn't help him overcome that.