1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

No way Luhnow parts with Whitley for Marquez. Dero is a Zero.

J.R. likes this.
  2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Huge mistake if they don't add.

jim1961 and Nook like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Didn’t you argue the Astros didn’t need to add Verlander in 2017? When you have a special team, you do what you can to capitalize on that opportunity. The Astros have pitching needs.

If the Astros don’t do anything, the fans have every right to be disappointed. Adding an improved back up catcher or bullpen arm isn’t going to mortgage the Astros future.

Regardless the Astros GM is trying to do something about the rotation. He has been extremely active in trying to make a deal.

Last, about the Astros being the “odds on favorite”... if the Dodgers add to their bullpen or the Yankees add another good starter; the Astros won’t be the odds on favorite.

4. Nook

Nook Member

They don’t plan on standing pat.

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I hate all those deals and I hate you for putting any of that out into the world
    I think I’d be massively bummed if Straw went anywhere. I’d rather do Tucker for Thor and hold onto Straw than trade Straw for a rental. That’d be a massive bummer for me.
    I’d do the kemp deal in a heartbeat for Mike Leake- just as an insurance arm and eat some innings and abuse this guy if you feel like to save anyone important any abuse before the playoffs.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

We don't have the quality pitching depth we had in 2017???......... Am I taking crazy pills here? Has everyone just conveniently forgotten that Hinch had to duct-tape his way through that postseason with an imploding bullpen and suspects starts beyond Verlander and (mostly) Keuchel?...

This pitching staff is light-years better. Unbelievably, '19 Verlander may be better than '17 Verlander; Cole is a significant upgrade over Keuchel; Miley is at least a draw with McCullers/Morton; and the back end of the bullpen is so much better than it was in 2017. If everyone is healthy, they might very well have the best 1-12 staff in the postseason (I'd have to think about it more - but it's not an outright absurd notion).

Again, make it better - sure; all for it. But this is a better team than 2017. And that '17 team was *great.*

Astrofan59, ChumpCity, Major and 3 others like this.
  7. Screaming Fist

Losing Straw would given that it would make it harder to move Marisnick and his ballooning salary.

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

There aren’t any absolutes here. Things could play out well for Cleveland and Carrasco and Kluber could come back healthy, Bieber could keep being an all star and they might not miss Bauer at all. That’s like a 90th percentile outcome for them.
    Those poor bastards probably deserve to catch that kind of break at some point in time I suppose.
    I’d bet against the trade being that sunny for them (2019 only in consideration) but I might well be wrong.
    Or, we might both be right and “baseball”.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Source: #Mets continue to ask for MLB-level players, rather than prospects, in Noah Syndergaard talks. The asking price is high enough that one exec expressed doubt this morning that Syndergaard will be moved today. MLBNetwork

— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) July 31, 2019

Source: #SFGiants having "sell" conversations on their pitchers, with under 5 hours left before the #TradeDeadline. MLB MLBNetwork

— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) July 31, 2019

6 bold predictions for Deadline Day
    Sent with @MLB At Bat https://t.co/f5C9beCm85

— Richard Justice (@richardjustice) July 31, 2019

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Mike Fiers led the Astros in innings pitched in 2017. What is this quality pitching depth the Astros had in 2017 compared to this season?

Astrofan59, Major and Hey Now! like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know others will disagree but I still think the Dodgers are the favorites. Houston needs more help on the pitching front and there's no question about it

13. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

They may not plan it that way. But may be priced to stand pat. It will be disappointing. But going to war with JV, Cole and Miley? Other teams would take that. Pressley going on the I.L. is quite concerning though.

I am betting it is a patch here and there in the mold of Liriano, Clippard, Maldanado type trades. Not a JV like splash.

The Real Shady likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No.

No one is arguing against making the team better; I'm arguing the urgency with which they need to do that.

Nor will it improve their chances to win the World Series, so no one should be disappointed.

And, again: no one is arguing against deals. I'm arguing the urgency. Back-up catcher and a 3rd or 4th bullpen arm in no way, shape or form constitutes a "significant" need.

Smart; he should absolutely be active in trying to make the team better. Is someone arguing he shouldn't?...

Right; those teams are behind the Astros and have to get better to pass them - thus, the Astros are the odds-on favorite.

Honestly, the odds-on favorite will be the team with HFA. But I'll take my chances with this team, on the road, in any game 7 scenario - with or without a trade today.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

FUUK

I thought the Mets hated the Yanks? Giving us Thor would make the Astros the overwhelming favorites and **** the Yankees.

16. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I disagree with this simply because most playoff games you will need only 3 starters and we have that already. I would also be comfortable with piecing together a 4th starter start with combo of peacock, McHugh etc. while that is not preferable, I think it would be rare and most likely against another teams number 4

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Agreed. When you likely have the #1 and #2 in Cy Young voting you probably don't need another top line starter. Just need a back-end of the rotation inning eater.

vince likes this.
  18. vince

vince Member

Luhnow won’t make a deal just to make one. I seriously doubt he’ll get strong armed by other GM’s; Luhnow knows his guys value, and though folks think he over values his prospects, he follows his analytics information. No need to second guess yourself when you have well informed decisions, if you err, well that’s ok....

I still remember The Orioles and Nationals nixing fair deals because their ownership groups got emotional about the players involved... Luhnow gracefully walked away instead of sweetening the deal!

I know there is a glut of guys who are blocked in the majors, but let’s remember that if not for the minor league depth, the Astros would have not stayed afloat and share the best record in baseball with all of the injuries...

Losing guys like Reed, White, Kemp, for nothing or whatever you can get seems disappointing, but teams trade for rentals all the time giving valuable talent. As far as I’m concerned White and Kemp were vital to the Astros while they battled the injury bug. And Reed was given ample time to adjust, but ehh sometimes you just got to move on!

Hey Now! likes this.
  19. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros have far superior front end talent in 2019. This is semantics, but when I think depth I'm looking more at how well equipped a team is at handling injuries. The Astros duct tape (i.e., starter replacements not counting Verlander) pitched 244.1 innings and a 3.57 ERA in 2017. If Astros lost their top 4 starters in 2019 for significant stretches, they would not be able to weather it as well as they did in 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.