1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Tilman Fertitta determined to do "whatever it takes" to improve Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 17, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tilman has an excuse not to do it now because of big, bad scary repeater tax in 3/4 years!
    And in 3/4 years when Harden/Westbrook are 33/34 years old, he also has an excuse not to pay the tax.
    "They're old, they're declining, this isn't a championship caliber team!"
    And the Tilman nutlickers will say, "Give him time! He will spend at the right time! That time is not right now!"

2. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

As an entrepreneur, that’s the first thing you do is cut costs and restructure assets. This IS A BUSINESS. He’s clearly taking the cost approach building for the long-haul. We’ve got a pretty competitive team already. He clearly looks way into the future while staying competitive now. Any team is 1 or two injuries away from being a competitor to lottery. Risk management... you have to hedge that... once you know your investment is tight, it’ll give you a position of power in making decisions knowing you’ve done all you can to cut your costs... then be able to choose what risks you’re willing to take. That takes some time.

topfive and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's a HOBBY to guys like Cuban, Balmer & Jerry Jones.

4. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Here’s to hoping!

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That's a fair point, but it just irks a lot of fans when he doesn't talk like that in public. Hell, he could even stay silent and I think many would accept his financial limitations/strategy. But he doesn't do that. He's bombastic and takes over press conferences saying things like "losing in the second round is unacceptable" and that he'll do whatever it takes, but then also makes side comments about not being a relatively rich owner, but then 95% talking about paying whatever is needed and that he doesn't care about the luxury tax if you win because winning leads to more revenue.

I can accept this possibility, and hope it's true; however, if this is the case, then didn't the Rockets over the last 2 years still waste opportunities to spend roughly $4M in MLE money, give away 2 FRP, 1 SRP, Ennis, expiring Anderson/Knight/Shumpert (assuming not SnT'd), and not resigned Ariza (flipped for Oubre/Rivers) purely just to save money? Wouldn't have those assets been of legit value by now, either as players or flipped for future assets? I know you're one of the fairer Tilman defenders out there (and quick aside, congrats on the podcast - I know I'm late to the party, but I only recently realized it. Kudos on turning fandom into a career...I thought you worked for Hillary or something in politics), and I understand the need to push back against blind hate, but there's an absurd amount of blind support for his actions too.

And his fake used car salesman BS routine needs to be called out, because the more he gets away with it and the fans blindly support him, the more he can act irresponsibly in the area of team-building (aka fiscally responsibly for himself). It's just hard for me to let go of my belief that all those players and assets would have pushed the Rockets closer towards a title run last year, and helped even more this year. I strongly believe the Rockets are close and that if Tilman had more money (because he has implied that if he were richer, he would spend without regard to the luxury tax), the Rockets would have had and currently would have a better chance at winning the championship

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

100% This. This basically the bottom line.

Tilman needs to come to grips with the process of roster building. And that process means moving money. Flipping money over and over again. Chess moves.

Rockets are stuck until Tilman *wakes up* to this reality.

Richie_Rich, D-rock, Kim and 2 others like this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

Tilman doesn't want to admit it's a championship worthy team and maybe he's right to be doubtful. However, it's up to him to improve it and make sure we have the right coaches and players through Morey. I think he's scared and folding already, with Morey in his ear about potential trades after 15 December, since they can see how the West shakes out.

Der Rabbi likes this.
  8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That’s fair, and as a consumer I have the right to costcut with anything from Tillman.

His restaurants suck ass and cut corners, therefore I don’t eat at them. Might have to expand my Tillman boycott

#248 LosPollosHermanos, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

I agree completely. Tilman's not wrong to try to avoid paying the repeater tax, and like I said, Russ coming in just resets us to the position we were in last year regarding the LT. But at some point, he's going to have to go all-in for a couple of years while Harden is still in his prime. Hit the luxury tax hard for three years, then rely on Morey to prevent it from happening in year four. Or if things work out, then just pay the repeater tax with the extra revenue generated by a title or two. :)

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The bottom line.....Harden is in his prime, his apex. It will lessen as he ages. Westbrook is probably slightly prime/ post prime, but of course will lessen as he ages.

The BEST time to win....is now. If you aren't going ALL IN now....then when are you?

You go all in and worry about the Repeater Tax LATER. Morey can move out of it.

Richie_Rich, IvanLCPM, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Exactly. It bugs me that Tilman is being so precious about. Yeah, I know it's millions of dollars, but you don't buy a damn NBA franchise if you're not prepared to spend short-term money. You're going to make it all back and much, much more the day you sell.

D-rock likes this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

In fairness, I doubt Tilman is looking at each move and approving or denying. More likely is that he's told Morey something like "no repeater" and Morey is making decisions about it.

You all assume Morey can move contracts later, but we are getting to where we literally won't have picks to deal.

It's very possible that Morey is deciding that he won't add the salary because he can't go into the repeater and knows he won't be able to move contracts.

LosPollosHermanos and topfive like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

thanks westbrook. thanks

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, the big risk is Russ getting injured. I think he's movable in the next year or two, even with the huge contract, and I think we could even ask for pick in return (hey, OKC just did it). But if he has a significant injury, teams will be hesitant to take on that contract and will likely demand being pick-compensated for it, and that's when we're really in trouble.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Three points:

1) Yes, they've already wasted some opportunities no matter what they do moving forward. Full agreement there.

2) The only FRP they've given up to save costs was 2019, right? Not two. And that was at the deadline, meaning a ton of its value was already lost since it was basically locked into being in the 20s (in a draft without much depth). The 2018 FRP went for Chris Paul, and 2024 and 2026 for Westbrook -- say what you will about those moves, but they weren't to cut costs. I know Melton had a good Summer League in 2018, but I think it's a major reach to suggest (as I've seen some do) that he legitimately had FRP value based on 4-5 games in Vegas. I also think Morey expected more from Shumpert the player than what he got.

3) Their version of history is that they were saving what was left of their 2018-19 MLE money for buyouts, and that they did offer it to Markieff Morris (which would have put them back into the tax), but he chose Oklahoma City because he thought that was a better fit.

I agree that if they end up playing the "oops!" card again in 2019-20 and not spending into the tax, it'd be silly to keep believing them. At this point, though, since the sample is basically one season, I'm willing to play this thing out until March 1, 2020 (when the buyout window basically closes).

My general position is that I'm understanding of all the skepticism... but I think it's still slightly premature to write the obit, so to speak. Fingers crossed.

Deuce, Kim, IvanLCPM and 1 other person like this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Tilman flat out lied to us and thinks were too stupid to realize it.

That friends is the bottom line until proven otherwise.

S&T Shump and exceed the tax? And use the MLE at some point rather than letting it rot like last year.

Until that , he's a liar that thinks we're all idiots.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  17. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Fair enough.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

determined to have just enough interest piqued in his business to keep operating profits coming in, while maintaining the barest minimum costs required of course. cut 4 net coaching positions. this fuking guy

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Unfortunately this is exactly how I see things playing out .

Hopefully we are good enough to win anyways .

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

2) Well crap, for some reason I totally had in my head that Melton was a FRP. Damn I'm old. :oops:
    3) I'm still holding out some hope that they'll spend it. I don't know if it'll make up for the wasted opportunities though.