1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Need a New Closer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets94-95, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Screenshot_20190724-105448_Google.jpg

Sincerely, Mr White

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

Tyler White now works at Fry's. Baseball is in his past. Retail electronics is his future. I wish him good luck.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Wagner was terrible in the postseason for us. Lidge prior to the Pujols HR was the one I had the most confidence in. Valverde was the most successful in terms of save % I'd guess.

I have more faith in Presley than I do Osuna, but in terms of dominating, Osuna has never posted a WHIP above 1, and it is currently below .900. That is impressive.

Nook and BigM like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

He saw the name "Fry's" and said "sounds delicious".

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not sure if it is actually good or I was just stupid right out of college, but the Blue Hawaii Smoothie there was the bomb back in the day.

6. SemisolidSnake

Osuna's making it harder for me to say nice things about his pitching, but the Astros bats need to wake the f*** up and stop pretending that one inning of hitting and a good starting pitching performance is enough to win a major league game.

7. plee

plee Member

They should have put him in at the beginning of the inning. Surprised AJ let Miley try to finish...

Nook and IowaAstro like this.
  8. aristophanes34

Same... The days of '...well, he had a shutout working, so...' are long gone. Hell, today they will pull guys with a no-no if the pitch count is out of whack. I was very surprised... Maybe with the day game to follow AJ gambled to have a fully rested pen for the sweep... and give Wade a shot at something that is rare these days, but I didn't like it... And it didn't work. Osuna giving up a bomb is no big deal if he enters with the bases clean. Sidenote, Osuna needs to waste more pitches. It is great he doesn't walk many... But 0-2, throw it off the plate... Especially the way that dude Tuesday was calling the outside strike.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

The new closer is far away.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

These guys aren’t robots. I don’t watch other teams but I think every fan goes through this same routine at some point in the season. Even with Wagner it could get nerve wracking. The only guy that I can remember being “lights out” calm with was Lidge...until Pujols anyway.

With absolutely no numbers to back me up I’d assume Osuna is comfortably a top 10 closer and probably talent wise capable of more than that. He’s going to get the job done at a very high rate.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You let Miley attempt to finish the game because it’s a rare accomplishment and it’s a positive morale boost for both him and his teammates. He wants it and they want it. Even if it backfires, it’s worth it. I’d have pulled him after giving up the first baserunner but I don’t have a problem with what Hinch did.

Osuna's job is to excel in high leverage situations and he failed that time. Got away with a meatball off speed pitch and then threw one practically down the middle of the plate. Sucks but you just move on.

Nook and Houstunna like this.
  12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Giving up 1 run, for a blown save is not the end of the world.

Roberto Osuna has a 2.53 era,

Oakland have a very advanced scouting report, on pitchers and hitter. Billy Beane is Moneyball.

Ken Giles 5.11 era is horrific, he usually gave up 3 runs.

13. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I think you mean basketball

msn likes this.
  14. CrazyJoeDavola

LaTroy Hawkins. Surely that guy is still pitching SOMEWHERE.......

msn, Nook and BigM like this.
  15. aristophanes34

Definitely move on... 1/162. And overall I think AJ is great... I rarely disagree with his moves and when I do... I assume I am the one who is wrong... It definitely wasn't some kind of disastrous defining moment.

And I agree with your take on leaving him in the game. And 20 years ago that was standard. You just don't see it as often today was my main point.

BigM likes this.
  16. htownbball

htownbball Member

What? Osuna hit his spot, exactly where the glove was, it just needed to be a few inches higher to get him to chase. Catcher should have flashed his glove higher before he set up.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In 97 regular season games with the Astros, Giles gave up 3+ runs 3 times.

18. Jeremy Williams

When you couldn't even get a WS appearance, you know your manager didn't trust you one bit.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I never said anything to the contrary.

20. Jeremy Williams

Just making a point to the awfulness of Giles.