1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller Testimony Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by khanhdum, Jul 23, 2019.

1. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Getting my popcorn out for tomorrow :cool:

First hearing at 8:30 eastern time

#1 khanhdum, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    tmoney1101 likes this.
  2. cml750

cml750 Member

I have a feeling he will be giving a lot of responses resembling something like 'that question falls outside my report so I cannot answer' all the while congressman from both sides will be grandstanding trying to get as many soundbites in as possible.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I can't answer hypothetical questions
    That questions falls outside the scope of my investigation.
    I'd refer you to the report I filed with the Department of Justice.
    That question would need to be directed to the Department of Justice.
    I can't comment on what actions might be appropriate for another jurisdiction.
    I have no comment on any political processes under consideration.
    Again, that is not within the scope of my investigation.
    As stated in the report, I made no determination on that matter.
    I stand by the findings of the report.
    The report speaks for itself.
    I have no additional information on that subject beyond what was included in the report.

We aren't going to get any heavy duty sniffing or recollection of high school exercise routines with his buddies or weird references to drinking and sex game acronyms.

We'll see Democrats unsuccessfully probe him trying to get him to condemn the president while he gets annoyed at their grandstanding and we'll see (some) Republicans treat him as if he were colluding with a foreign power to manipulate our election process while banging p*rn stars and working on real estate deals.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is my guess as well. I wish he didn't have the restrictions on what topics he could discuss. As is, this will be a whole lot of nothing.

edwardc, jcf and cml750 like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Oh I guarantee they will say that and things like it.

These "hearings" are normally grandstanding speeches with questions thrown in.

The real question is not whether a GOP member says no collusion or something like it, it's whether Robert Mueller corrects them.

I'll be shocked if a Jim Jordan or someone doesn't throw a tantrum about the report and these hearings and makes claims about exoneration and Mueller being conflicted even though he's right there. The trick they might use is yelling at their COLLEAGUES about it instead of directing it to Mueller as a question. The aim would be to avoid giving him an opportunity to correct them in their soundbite.

8. Buck Turgidson

I do hope he calls out any blatant chicanery like that, with page and paragraph of the report at hand.

I would think we as a country can have a grownup discussio.....**** who am I kidding?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Interesting analogy by Gym there. Politics as a sport is right up his alley.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I am curious of course about the whole dealy-O, but I am not holding by breath for startling revelations. Barr, the President's personal lawyer, is trying to tamp it all down.

The Dems want to get Mueller to talk about details in the report so that the public can finally see what a ******* (pejorative term) the President is. Not that his followers care. The Repugs want to twist and obfuscate and make the whole thing look part of the so-called Witch Hunt.

"Yes, if I had the authority, I would have prosecuted him for obstruction," is not going to be heard, methinks.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Robert Mueller is scheduled to testify before the House judiciary and intelligence committees tomorrow (Wednesday) and Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-NY) is all upset because of a letter issued by the DOJ explaining that Mueller was required to confine his testimony to what was contained in the report.

Nadler lashed out at Barr and the DOJ.

However, as it turns out, AG Barr issued the letter - wait for it - because Robert Mueller asked him to.

Barr: Mueller requested DOJ letter limiting Hill testimony to 'boundaries' of report

Attorney General Bill Barr told Fox News on Tuesday that it was former Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s team who asked the Justice Department to send Mueller a letter telling him to keep his upcoming testimony to House lawmakers "within the boundaries" of the public version of his Russia probe report.

The letter provoked criticism from Democrats ahead of Wednesday’s highly anticipated hearing, with House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler calling it “incredibly arrogant.” Asked by Fox News why the Monday letter was sent, Barr said Mueller’s staff asked the department for guidance ahead of the hearing.​

It appears the Robert Mueller, who is testifying under subpoena, is not really very happy about this testimony.

cml750 likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

keep hope alive

cml750 and justtxyank like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mueller is a republican after all.

DD

edwardc likes this.
  14. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

I would take what Barr says with a grain of salt especially on Fox News. He's been misleading the people for decades

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This bears repeating with great emphasis.

16. dmoneybangbang

Actually Mueller doesn't have to testify if he doesn't want to, he could easily hide behind Trump's executive privilege and such.

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Not gonna watch but i will click this thread occasionally to get the best commentary this side of the moscow river.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Im not expecting much and this is clearly a play to get the visuals of Mueller appearing publicly saying he cannot exonerate the President.

What might change things is what the republicans do. It they attack Mueller or try to press him about FBI misconduct Mueller will likely push back a lot on that.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I really wish there were not only two freaking parties in this country. Puke

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good news:

The Democratic Party Is Actually Three Parties
    They have different constituents and prefer different policies. Satisfying them all will not be easy.
    By Thomas B. Edsall

Mr. Edsall contributes a weekly column from Washington, D.C. on politics, demographics and inequality.
    July 24, 2019

Democratic Party voters are split. Its most progressive wing, which is supportive of contentious policies on immigration, health care and other issues, is, in the context of the party’s electorate, disproportionately white. So is the party’s middle group of “somewhat liberal” voters. Its more moderate wing, which is pressing bread-and-butter concerns like jobs, taxes and a less totalizing vision of health care reform, is majority nonwhite, with almost half of its support coming from African-American and Hispanic voters.

This division revealed itself most recently in the Kabir Khanna, a senior elections manager at CBS, provided detailed findings on these key voters.

CBS broke them into three roughly equal groups.

The first two groups are made up of those who say they are “very liberal” and those who say they are “somewhat liberal.” Both groups are two thirds white and have substantial but for the Democratic Party below average minority representation. They are roughly a quarter African-American and Hispanic.

Those in the third group are Democratic primary voters who describe themselves as moderate to conservative. This group has the largest number of minorities; it is 26 percent black, 19 percent Hispanic, 7 percent other nonwhites, and it has the smallest percentage of whites, at 48 percent.

Overall, the Pew Research Center found in 2016 that Democratic voters were 57 percent white, 21 percent black, and 12 percent Hispanic. The remaining voters were Asian-American and other ethnicities.

A separate Brookings study found that 2018 Democratic primary voters were 54.6 percent white, 24.1 percent black, 9.0 percent Hispanic, with the rest Asian-American, American Indian and others.

At the current stage in the contest, according to Khanna, very liberal Democrats are the most engaged and play a disproportionate role in setting the political agenda.

The three ideological groups favor different sets of policies. On the left, the very liberal voters stress “the environment, protecting immigrants, abortion, and race/gender,” Khanna emailed me, while the moderate to conservative Democrats are “more concerned with job creation and lowering taxes.”

more at the link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/24/opinion/2020-progressive-candidates.html

cml750 likes this.