1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook's Fit.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kornel87, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

How quickly do we forget, Rockets fans? The bluster in this group chat has ebbed and flowed from how much less talented the current (prior to the Westbrook trade) squad was due to mainly an aging pg, a mising owner, and a terrible contract! But that's beside the point. My case in this piece is to show everyone that actually the Rockets are now a legitimate title contender.

Previously, I made a case about how the Rockets needed a Patrick Beverly archetype point guard, who will create shots for himself but also is a switchable defender. Well, Morey did one better, he got Russell Westbrook. What makes Westbrook such a great fit is his ability to create, not just on offense but also on defense. As a point of reference, I used the 2016-2017 of Patrick Beverly and the 2015-2016 season of Russell Westbrook. In those years, both were starting point guards of a 1st place division team and put up different but impactful numbers. For Beverly, whose offensive numbers (42% FG, 38.2% 3P%, 76.8%FT) on 30 MP but made a lot more of his impact as a defensive guard (5.9TRB, 1.5STL). For Westbrooks, in 2016-2017, his PTS (23.5) are obviously the highest by a pg that year. In comparison, the Rockets haven't had a 20 PPG by a point guard since Steve Francis (21.6 PTS) in 2002. Westbrook's relentless is also an advantage defensively throughout his career (I'm focusing on his 2015-2016) where he had 2.0 STL, 7.8 TRB. As a guard, those numbers are highest when compared to Rockets guards. Again the only Houston point guard with comparable numbers was the 2002 Steve Francis (1.2 STL, 7.0 TRB).

Now, with the Rockets team prior to the Westbrook trade, the highest-rated defensive guards were James Harden (6.6 TRB, 2.0 STL) and Chris Paul (4.6 TRB, 2.0STL). The problem is that Paul played 32 MP, and as a star player, only averaged 15.6 PTS. Compared that with Westbrook, who played 36 MP and averaged 22.9 PTS. On the defense, his numbers are even more impressive (11.1 TRB, 1.9 STL). The ability of Westbrook to be able to play at a higher level for more periods during the season is something that will translate into tangible and noticeable "winning moments." It is not be taken for granted. With the defensive prowess of Westbrook, he is still able to give you 20+ PPG, which is by far the most impressive feat.

2. theimpossibles1

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Clutchfans Day to day
    See new thread about Westrbrook's Fit
    See new thread about Harden's Fat

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

See new thread about tilman cheap
    [​IMG]

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Interesting topic that has not yet been discussed in any thread. Very cool.

7. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

I literally LOL'd

8. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

I was hoping for a constructive criticism. So that I would know if I'm not just drinking Rockets Koolaid. Well, a prescribed dose of Rox Koolaid is good for the Htx fanatic's soul lol.

9. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Since when was Westbrook a good defender? He is almost Harden level bad on defense.

If both don't improve, we will have one of the worst back courts when it comes to defense

roslolian likes this.
  10. jacoby

jacoby Member

Agreed. I want to stagger both of their minutes throughout the year and start doing load management.

If both can play around 65 games per year at around 32-34 minutes per game, they should have fresh enough legs to play solid defense.

MDA will probably play both in the winding minutes of a 30 point blowout anyway though.

amaru and BeardNation13 like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

OP, the response is due, in my opinion, to the fact that the metrics you used to measure "defensive prowess" have only the barest relation to defense, and that being almost entirely steals per game. My suggestion is that you get your snorkeling gear and delve deeper. There is an entirely different kettle of fish down there, and some very interesting coral. Take care, though, that your ship not run aground. Coral can be both beautiful and dangerous. That, and the fish can eat you.

12. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

LOL. I sure hope that the deep ends don't rattle my logic on defense!

Deckard likes this.
  13. smp

smp Member

The best part for Tilman is Westbrook’s salary is much cheaper than CP3 for 2019.

Kornel87 likes this.
  14. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

So Rox about it kill it this season?

theimpossibles1 and hakeem94 like this.
  15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Most times these superstar pairings with players in their prime fwork out one way or another.

Of course they dont always result in a ring, but the teams are usually better off than they were before.

Even Harden and dwight rockets were better than they were before Dwight got here.

People were saying the same things about wade and bron Harden and Cp3.

I'm pretty confident this wont bottom out and I'm hopefully optimistic this could be extremely good.

16. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

I don't much think this is a bad plan. This Rocket's plan is going to be a best version of Cuttino and Francis. Also the supporting cast of Tucker, Capela, Gordon, House, and Rivers fit. The isolation/switch everything works also. I honestly can't wait for this season to start. Also, I want to see how Anthony Bennett fits.

Remlap likes this.
  17. anchel

anchel Member

Actually, Harden is a forward in our defensive system, and his improvements plus the virtues of our system have made him a very interesting defensive piece for us. I wonder if we can hide Westbrook's weaknesses as well, in fact I fear that we won't be able to do it starting Gordon, who is a capable 1on1 defensive player but not a plus collectively. House may have an advantage there, but I don't think he is ready to defend the best guard consistently, like Gordon has shown he can do.

Madmanmetz, D-rock and Kornel87 like this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I agree with the first part of your statement .

I would go as far to say that James is a good defender of forwards. Westbrook is probably best defensively against 2's . I think WB suffers vs smaller more laterally quick guards.

Gordon and rivers are by far our best "small guard" defenders . And I think they are pretty good . I disagree when you say Gordon is not a plus collectively .

Maybe shumpert can help here if he gets healthy / we resign him

19. anchel

anchel Member

I mean Gordon does not have the IQ/length/athleticism to anticipate to Harden/Westbrook messes and cover them. In that sense House could fit better defensively, but on the other hand wou're gonna need somebody capable to defend the Mitchells, Lillards, Murrays...

Kornel87 likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The fit will be great. Harden and Westbrook are consummate professionals who are well trained ninja warriors

Much like the training video below

don grahamleone likes this.