1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The inevitable Feigen fluff article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Jul 16, 2019.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Andre Iguodala, Robert Covington and Jae Crowder are all good role players. Acquiring them helps make the Rockets deeper and better, and none of them are just another guy on an NBA team.

Also, if the Rockets think they can get Iguodala via buyout, they are fooling themselves. He would go to either the Clippers or Lakers before the Rockets in such a scenario. They need to trade for him and beat those two teams to the punch.

Finally, I never said the Rockets should just sign or trade for someone to make a move. I’m advocating they acquire specific players that fill roles on this team. For what it’s worth, Jerami Grant would have qualified, too.

#181 DVauthrin, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

In the post I quoted, you were questioning whether role players make a difference in winning a championship. That’s what I responded to.

I have never advocated that the Rockets sign a bunch of JAGs. However, I do believe that complementary role players help a team’s superstars perform better offensively and defensively, therefore improving the ratings cited in the chart you shared.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not necessarily. I think it will depend on how these three teams are doing near the trade deadline. If the Lakers or Clippers are struggling to gel, as at least one of them very well could be, we might look great by comparison. Iggy loved our presentation to him last FA period and said he would have signed with us if not for a last-minute bump in the Warriors' offer.

Then again, if we're the ones who are struggling, he'll probably ignore us completely. Don't overlook an East team swooping in to grab him if the situation is right.

TL;DR: The LA teams aren't locks to grab Iggy at the deadline. Then again, neither are wel.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

All I can tell you is that the Clippers organization believes if he gets bought out he's joining them.

Iggy isn't happening. The idea of a Shump sign and trade is dead, be it to Memphis or anyone else.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Well, shite. If Jerry West thinks he's going to get him, he probably will. :(

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Bust of an offseason if true. You get Rivers and House on favorable deals and then don't even do anything with the helpful extra cap space. You watch others get better in your conference. You make a trade that only makes you better at rebounding and nothing else. You once again cheap out and lie to the fans by saying otherwise.

Just...sigh...I can't help but feel like we are wasting the end of Harden's prime.

thekad and Gray_Jay like this.
  7. justtxyank

I shouldn't say it's DEAD, it's just extremely unlikely at this point. Like less than 10% probability but never say never.

J Sizzle likes this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

*crosses fingers*

*looks to the heavens*

*begs*

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

One key wrong assumption. I think this team is going to trade Capela or Gordon. Maybe both.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. justtxyank

Cool, create a hole to fill another one. Cool, cool.

DVauthrin, Gray_Jay and J Sizzle like this.
  11. TheRealAllpro

Well good because I believe the Rockets are going to make a trade for Iggy, Covington or Love. Not a buyout. That’s not going to work. But that’s about it.

12. TheRealAllpro

If you were to trade Gordon/Firsts for say Love. I would be happy for that exchange and the negatives of that trade.

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Do you need stats to know which role players helped your Rockets win titles? Do you need stats to think of role players that have helped teams win titles? Did you not just see role players, like Van Fleet, help Toronto win a title?

14. justtxyank

You couldn't do that deal though, you'd have to add salary to get to Love's deal.

So it would end up being something dumb like Gordon/Capela.

At that point you made yourself worse but more importantly, it makes it a salary neutral move.

This is my point.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What is the love for Love? Is that 2014 on the phone? Tell him I'll call back. Not.

Too expensive in terms of what we'd have to give up. Injury history. Turn the page.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They are currently 190k under the cap. Adding Iggy puts them 17m over.

The tax bill on being 17m over is 35.25m.

D-rock and Gray_Jay like this.
  17. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I see this potentially happening too. Only way to improve the team without taking on more salary. That said, who would be a legit improvement that either of those players could realistically get you, considering both are on fairly decent bargains for contracts, given NBA pricing? Again, without taking on additional salary, so no RoCo + Dieng for Gordon and Shumpert + X number of draft picks type trades.

Capela and Gordon for Kevin Love sounds like subtraction without addition.

18. TheRealAllpro

Yes, yes you do.

19. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Is there an easy calculator for determining luxury tax amounts? I found this post at hoops rumors, laying out the tiers https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/02/hoops-rumors-glossary-luxury-tax-penalties.html but not a calculator.

Staggering amount, isn't it? Then again, so is maintenance on a 767.

20. Nook

Nook Member

I don't understand why this is so hard for some people to understand.

There is no debate. The owner of the team made the decision to not spend the money to add a player and pay the corresponding tax.

There is no "if, and or but"..... that is exactly what happened and the reason it happened shouldn't be in controversy either.

luckyman76 likes this.