1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The inevitable Feigen fluff article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Jul 16, 2019.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

NBA starter quality (w/upside remaining).

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Go ahead and book it....DLo for Covington after Dec 15th.

Nook likes this.
  3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

What happens first? Tilman spends money on a role player or @basketballholic admits that Clint Capela is the second best player on this team?

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Kinda weird to see my LTS jersey photoshop posted along with my actual name, just because it also happens to be the name of the guy who posted it.

:confused:o_O:confused:o_O

Nook likes this.
  5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Or Love.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sorry Chris, my jimmies were rustled last night and had to tweet that out.

Nook and topfive like this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

tier 1 star : Capela and Harden
    tier 2 star but bad : Russ

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't see why the Cavs would be interested in DLo with Sexton and Garland on the roster. The Wolves on the other hand were lusting over DLo.

If the Rockets want RoCo, they have to do it NOW before GSW gets him after Dec 15th.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not a complaint at all. But seeing it presented like that was definitely a WTF moment.

#149 topfive, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Deuce likes this.
  10. JW86

JW86 Member

True, which is why the NBA should never have approved. You should have an owner who can pay or to just make this a non-issue: have an actual max to what teams can spend so it's all equal and not for the fans to rely on the owner to pay up.

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

This is Leslie's fault. He pushed for him. He found himself a sucker who couldn't afford the team so Less is getting interest on payments. Hopefully Tilman sells it to a guy like Friedkin who can actually afford this team once he realizes this isn't a low maintenance purchase.

MrSabotage, luckyman76 and Nook like this.
  12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Being currently under the tax line, can we use the rest of the NT-MLE ($9,258,000 less amount paid to House) and go over the tax line with the signing? I'm still holding out (faint) hope of adding Iggy if he is bought out, and this would give us the ability to offer more $$ to him than the Clips. I know this would hard cap us at the apron, but that does not appear to be a concern for us if Tilman is never going to let the payroll go as high as the apron anyway.

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The Cat

Please stop rebutting that Tillman isn’t cheap for taking on contracts to get close to the tax line, in response to everyone saying he is cheap because he refuses to pay tax. Yes, if you have a contending team and refuse to use all of your options to add talent and improve your chances to win because you will have to pay tax then you are a cheap owner that is not “all in”. I don’t care that you get close to the cutoff. You have salary slots available and the ability to add more talent to the team and you are refusing to do so because it will cost you more $$. THAT’S CHEAP!!!

Spend your MLE’s (plural since this is year two of it not being fully utilized). Take on more $$ via the Westbrook trade. Keep adding talent to improve the chances to win while you actually have a chance to win.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

might there be a salary disconnect or do you anticipate filler? Yeppers, DLo was certainly conventional-wisdomed to Minnie ere the shocking signing...

15. Convictedstupid

What big name was out there though that could have been had? Love?

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

And that’s stupid, since role players can actually help you win a title.

DVauthrin likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

All this luxury tax talk is a bit silly right now, since the NBA looks at the team's total salary at the end of the season, not the beginning. If you don't think Morey could figure out a way to unload some salary at the trade deadline to get under the LT line, you haven't been watching him over the years. Tilman's not going to want to go $20M over, but he shouldn't balk at going $5M-10M over this early in the year.

That's what makes the non-expansion of the OKC deal a real head-scratcher. I'm still not 100% convinced that Tilman said not to take back any additional salary; there might have been something else at play. Then again, I could be wrong.

#157 topfive, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    jboslett likes this.
  18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Iggy being bought out would be worst case scenario. He'd go straight to Los Angeles in that scenario.

DVauthrin likes this.
  19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

ABFC0902-980E-471C-AB43-5A148AF746C5.png
    But do they really?

20. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Probably no one, that's why no players were added, lol.

I picture the convo going on like this:
    Morey: We can get Robert Covington if we throw in an extra pick, it will cost his salary Plus X in Luxury Tax

Tilman: Who is that? No way, that's star money when you count the luxury tax and he's not a star.

Morey: How about Iguodala, also need to throw in pick, and the cost is X

Tilman: I know him, you're getting closer, but we need a STAR!

Morey: Okay, if we send two picks, sign and trade Shumpert, we can get Kevin Love

Tilman: Now we're talking!

Morey: It's going to cost you Much more in luxury tax though.

Tilman: hmmmm....damn. Well how about instead of sign and trading Shumpert we trade away Gordon and PJ Tucker? Austin Rivers can be our third guard and Love will start over PJ anyway, making him expendable.

Morey: It works under the cap, but according to my numbers its a seriously much worse team. Please dont do that, it's really not an upgrade AT ALL, probably a downgrade.

Tilman: are you sure?

Morey: 100%

Tilman: Well find someone that would be an upgrade if we traded gordon and PJ and a pick. Oh and also is a star.
    Morey: [searches whole league] There's no one.

Tilman: Ok well we tried. I can sell Russ, no one is going to say I'm cheap when he's dunking on their heads! let's just greenlight the deal.